PDA

View Full Version : Platinum spread over 2 PC's

annabegins
04-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Is it possible to distribute Platinum over two computers in terms of mic positions (i.e. ALL instrumentsí stage mics on one machine, all close and hall mics on another) rather than sections/libraries? I picture myself using PC1 with my sequencer and a full orchestra, stage mics only, during sketch stage. Later in the process, when I want/need to hear the whole Platinum trifecta whammo, Iíd like to be able to switch on PC2 and include the extra two mic positions. For those of you who use Platinum, does this sound like a viable technique?
Forgive me if this question sucks, but Iím trying to imagine my work procedure on a tool I havenít yet bought or used (and hey, everyoneís allowed to be a bonehead on their first post, right?)

Thanks to EW for the forum and for the group buy temptations! :rolleyes:
-ab

LHall
04-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Others may disagree, but I think you'll get the most bang for the buck by spreading the sections out over two PCs. The problem is, even running just the full mics, if you're on one PC you will run out of CPU pretty quickly if your arrangement gets at all complex.

For example, when I do an orchestration, I run the brass and winds from my host PC - the strings and perc from the slave PC on V-stack. My second PC has a good audio card, so I just run midi only from A to B.

The strings do pretty well unless I get alot of fast runs going on. Brass and winds eat up CPU more quickly because my parts for those instruments tend to have more chordal info than string parts. I find myself bouncing brass and winds a fair amount.

Having said that, if you have "freeze" (which I don't) and don't mind using it alot, you may be okay on one PC, but if that's the case, don't spend extra money on a computer just for the close and surround mics. Make all gear stretch to the limit I always say.

My 2 cents.

Doug Rogers
04-24-2005, 08:18 PM
I agree with Larry, use the two PCs to spread the sections, not the mic positions. Most users compose with the (f) stage mics, and when the composition is complete they render (bounce) this and the other 2 mic positions to their audio sequencer and mix everything there.

- Doug

ELP71
04-26-2005, 12:47 PM
From everything I've read, it seems to me what Larry and Doug are suggesting makes perfect sense. Think of adding the extra mic positions at mixdown as a present to yourself :D

annabegins
04-27-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I guess what Iíd really like is the ability to work as LHALL and Doug mentioned, when I need to, but also to have instant, easy access to all instruments at other times. Not necessarily for ensembles or actually projects, but just to have any one instrument available at my fingertips whenever my host machine is on. Since my initial post, Iíve found out that there is a good deal of flexibility with the authorization of the libraries (two per module, from what I understand). This is great news, as itíll give me a chance to mess around and find whatís right for me for whatever mood Iím in Öand then add the extra mics later as a gift to me (I like that one!).

ÖOK, so Iím convinced. Now I have seven days left to work on my better half Ė any suggestions for that!?