PDA

View Full Version : The hall on the offical guide is it real and one other question

Bobby
04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Hey all. I was just wondering on the offical guide for ewqlso is that a real hall? I know you dont give out where you recored you stuff, but i was just wondering if the picture you use for that guide is of a real hall. I have never been to anything like that before it look beautiful. And holy cow is that a HUGE pipe organ in the back of the picture just wondering if anybody knows it would be great. Also on a side note for the solo violin on gold do you know what year and make that violin is just corious. Have a good night all.

jphilpit
04-25-2005, 05:46 AM
The picture that Doug Rogers sent me to use as the first page is exactly the picture used on the front of the printed manual. There's no new information there.

JamesIII
04-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, it is a real hall. It is the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX. This is the hall where all of my music is performed. I'm the composer-in-residence for the Turtle Creek Chorale, the largest (250 voice)/most recorded male chorus in the world. They share this hall with the Dallas Symphony orchestra. In fact, Prof. Keith O. Johnson, the recording genius for the EWQL Symphony Orchestra libraries, has the recorded the Turtle Creek Chorale for Reference Recordings. The hall is amazing. If you're ever in Dallas, you have to go and see/hear a concert there. Cheers!

James Eakin III

neoTypic
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Yes, it is a real hall. It is the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX. This is the hall where all of my music is performed. I'm the composer-in-residence for the Turtle Creek Chorale, the largest (250 voice)/most recorded male chorus in the world. They share this hall with the Dallas Symphony orchestra. In fact, Prof. Keith O. Johnson, the recording genius for the EWQL Symphony Orchestra libraries, has the recorded the Turtle Creek Chorale for Reference Recordings. The hall is amazing. If you're ever in Dallas, you have to go and see/hear a concert there. Cheers!

James Eakin III

Wow, didn't know you were on here! Funny how I live here and have only heard you mentioned. ;)

It's a smaaaall world aaaafter all. *laughs*

js33
04-27-2005, 04:46 AM
So if the EWQLSO was recorded at the Meyerson Hall does that mean that the Dallas Symphony Orchestra is the one used for the sample recordings?

Cheers,
JS

Magpie
04-27-2005, 05:32 AM
The hall on the box and manual may be the Meyerson Hall , but this is not the hall that
EWQLSO was recorded in ;)

js33
04-27-2005, 05:39 AM
So that pic was used just to throw everyone off? ;) I imagine the Meyerson hall would sound very good.

Why all the secrecy regarding where and who was used to record it?

Cheers,
JS

RickD
04-27-2005, 10:56 AM
So that pic was used just to throw everyone off? ;) I imagine the Meyerson hall would sound very good.

Why all the secrecy regarding where and who was used to record it?

Cheers,
JS

Because the union orchestra that recorded the samples (which has been described as a highly esteemed one), asked not to be revealed!

that's my understanding.

Rick

chocothrax
04-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Wasn't EWQLSO recorded at Benaroya hall in Seattle?

Bobby
04-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Because the union orchestra that recorded the samples (which has been described as a highly esteemed one), asked not to be revealed!

that's my understanding.

Rick

What is the Union orchestra? I did a search and ther is the grand union orchestra in the UK or is this a orchestra in which all the members are are in a "union" and they were hired so to speak for jsut this recording,or was this a real orchestra in which all the members were used?

Composer
04-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Oh! Is it the "Hollywood Studio Symphony" that was sampled for EWQLSO? That's the only Hollywood union orchestra I know of and they're certainly used for that Hollywood sound - The Village by Mr. James Newton Howard and The Last Samurai by Zimmer are the last two CDs performed by them that I bought. I think its funny that in both the Village and the Last Samurai CD booklets every player in the entire orchestra is credited by name, down to every last tuba player.

js33
04-28-2005, 02:39 AM
Well that is probably required by the union and why shouldn't they get credit anyway?

Cheers,
JS

Composer
04-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Whaa?? :confused: Who said they shouldn't ? Seeing how the Hollywood Studio Symphony requires to be credited like that, its probably not them who were sampled for EWQLSO. But then again, maybe they thought if word they were sampled got around, producers would start saying, "Why would we pay to have the score performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony live when they're who you used for your mockup?"

It would be neat to know though. I currently live in Boston, and like knowing that when playing SISS, I'm playing the Boston Pops and (I think) Boston Ballet players. Next time I go to see the Pops, I'm going to yell that to the string players: "I played you guys on my keyboard last night! Whooo!"

bloombaber
04-28-2005, 11:45 AM
A union orchestra is made of members of the musicians' union (AF of M), an organization established in order to better the lives and employment of musicians. Helping to create a product like EWQLSO, which (it is assumed) will be used in lieu of live musicians for film/TV scoring and so forth, would not sit well with the brethren.

RE: the hall on the box, I'm no authority and have no inside information, but as with any product, the picture on the box doenn't necessarily directly represent the contents. It's just supposed to look good, to make you want to pick up the product, and perhaps buy it. And the hall in Dallas is indeed good-looking. :rolleyes:

neoTypic
04-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Next time I go to see the Pops, I'm going to yell that to the string players: "I played you guys on my keyboard last night! Whooo!"

*laughs* That's awesome. \m/ :cool: \m/