PDA

View Full Version : Silk!

peter5992
03-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Good morning everyone:

Greetings from sunny and beautiful San Francisco - just got my new Play libraries, and after installing them on one of my computers wanted to give a quick shout that Silk is absolutely awesome!!

Not to mention SD2 Pro, btw (the Middle Earth ensemble!).

lacibe
03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Good morning everyone:

Greetings from sunny and beautiful San Francisco - just got my new Play libraries, and after installing them on one of my computers wanted to give a quick shout that Silk is absolutely awesome!!

Hey Peter,

I am glad to hear that! I have just ordered my SILK today... (and my Choirs of corse) :)
I cant wait to hear them...

laci

halftone
03-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Peter, Hi Lacibe,

I too just received SD2, SDpro and Silk. Very nice sounds.

Regards John

Memphis
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice Peter, I bet it does sounds great. Iīve watched the NAMM-video with Silk, awsome stuff. I wisch i could afford Silk and SD2 as well, sometimes in the future maybe.

A OT-question: Donīt you ever get tired of having sun every day in San Francisco? :D

peter5992
03-31-2009, 06:54 PM
A OT-question: Donīt you ever get tired of having sun every day in San Francisco? :D

No! Bring it on baby -- the more the merrier! ;-)

To be sure, the climate is not like in Southern California - it can be quite chilly, especially when the infamous fog or freezing winds crawl in from the Pacific. But on a day like today, even with the cold and stormy winds, it's glorious - nothing better than to walk on the beach with Bugsy (she's the one in the avatar).

Ok, back to the saltmines now - have another couple of hundred CDs to screen before midnight.

gpax
03-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Greetings from sunny and beautiful San Francisco

Hey, that must have been the same sun I saw across the bay from you. It was almost perfect today. But summer is still lurking : ) As Mark Twain said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

pax

lacibe
04-18-2009, 03:00 AM
Ok, so I have received my SILK and I played with it the whole afternoon yesterday....

I just want to say thank you EastWest! It is a wonderful instrument!

:)
laci

jphilpit
04-18-2009, 07:46 AM
As Mark Twain said: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

pax
Actually, while that quotation has been attributed to Twain, it is generally agreed that he never said that. He did write the following in a letter, which someone may have adapted to apply to San Francisco.

[A]nywhere is better than Paris. Paris the cold, Paris the drizzly, Paris the rainy, Paris the damnable. More than a hundred years ago somebody asked Quin, "Did you ever see such a winter in all your life before?" "Yes," said he, "Last summer." I judge he spent his summer in Paris. Let us change the proverb; let us say all bad Americans go to Paris when they die. No, let us not say it for this adds a new horror to Immortality.

Benedict Nichols
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Good morning everyone:

What do you mean 'the middle earth ensemble"? Is that a specific patch in it or just what you are calling the whole expansion? what does it sound like? If i play in 5/4 will it sound like Trolls learning to play the drums on the way to war?!

Dark_corners
04-18-2009, 04:52 PM
"The middle earth ensemble" is an ensemble of different new drums/patches within SD2 Pro Expansion, if I have understood it correctly. From the SD2 Pro Upgrade page:

"Middle Earth Ensemble: Performed by 8 percussionists playing various bass drums, floor drums and small toms. These are the best sounding big drums we have ever done".

Word of Mouth says it sounds awesome. I look forward to hearing it myself. I am still waiting for my expansions and updates. Four weeks and, apparently, still counting :)

drvenom
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Will silk be offered to students with academic discount? I want to do an ethnic composition for one of my class projects and silk looks impressive for that. Unfortunately my pockets are not big enough to buy it at the moment. Maybe ethnoworld 4 will do the trick.

lacibe
06-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Will silk be offered to students with academic discount? I want to do an ethnic composition for one of my class projects and silk looks impressive for that. Unfortunately my pockets are not big enough to buy it at the moment. Maybe ethnoworld 4 will do the trick.

Some time ago there was a promise from Doug on educational prices of the new products... I guess when its time comes we will be notified some way. By the way Silk is awesome... I have had it for a while now and I love it more and more. :)

Doug Rogers
06-15-2009, 10:43 AM

The 2 for 1 deal is better than the EDU discount, you could get both RA and SILK, for a very comprehensive ethnic collection for the price of 1.

Cheers,

- DR

drvenom
06-15-2009, 12:49 PM
The 2 for 1 is an amazing deal. Unfortunately, I can't afford $500+ at this moment. I'm going to have to settle for "Orient World" or "Ethno." Congratulations on Silk though, the instrument is pure beauty to say the least. :)

Doug Rogers
06-15-2009, 06:11 PM
The 2 for 1 is an amazing deal. Unfortunately, I can't afford $500+ at this moment. I'm going to have to settle for "Orient World" or "Ethno." Congratulations on Silk though, the instrument is pure beauty to say the least. :)

Ethno World is $400, the difference between it and Silk is only $135, and with Silk you get another up to $535 product free, it seems like that's the best deal. Orient World is mostly loops and phrases, but either way we sell all of these products.

Cheers,

- DR

theitalianpianist
06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Congratulations on Silk though, the instrument is pure beauty to say the least. :)

I absolutely love the erhu, it has a tremendous amount of articulations in this library

Doug Rogers
06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I absolutely love the erhu, it has a tremendous amount of articulations in this library

And dynamics, which most ethnic collections lack.

Cheers,

- DR

fourteentoone
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
drvenom - seriously get Silk, and take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal. I've just used Silk in an upcoming iPhone game, and am working on a trailer for an Indian movie that will require it (and a bit of SD2) too. It's just so utterly convincing.

Anyway, basically what Doug said -- RA and Silk combined is a deadly combination. However, for your percussion you may want to look at SD2.

Ethno World 4 is good, but it's a jack of all trades, master of none. Silk is extraordinarily detailed and an absolute bargain when you consider the 2 for 1 deal.

drvenom
06-15-2009, 07:00 PM
$350 is all that I have at the moment, so I was planning to get orient world ($179) or ethno by motu ($279). I think that I will just save up and get silk next time that there is a sale. I agree with you guys. Silk sounds amazing. It just sounds unbelievably amazing and realistic.