PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon sounds

Brookfield67
03-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi. I am putting together a few sounds for a cartoon and need some help? Although it is a modern piece the brief calls for some Carl Stalling esque sounds for movement. Does anyone have any tips or hints on what sounds, instruments and chords go well with different moods and movements?

Also I am specifically looking for a sound that goes with a head turn from left to right. I was thinking violin with what I think is with what is called Gliss? Forgive my lack of classical terminology. What I am trying to describe is the left hand sliding up or down the neck of the viloin. Quickly up and down to sound like looking left to right to left again etc.

I am using Silver edition and can't find any articulations that do this? Can anyone help. Also, can anyone recomend any books on sounds for cartoon and film etc.

cheers

Paul

Jarrek2002
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Gliss is the correct term. That one may be hard to generate, using samples.

As for the combination of sounds, instruments and chords to convey different moods...the sky is the limit.

Bruno Garza
03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi. I am putting together a few sounds for a cartoon and need some help? Although it is a modern piece the brief calls for some Carl Stalling esque sounds for movement. Does anyone have any tips or hints on what sounds, instruments and chords go well with different moods and movements?

Also I am specifically looking for a sound that goes with a head turn from left to right. I was thinking violin with what I think is with what is called Gliss? Forgive my lack of classical terminology. What I am trying to describe is the left hand sliding up or down the neck of the viloin. Quickly up and down to sound like looking left to right to left again etc.

I am using Silver edition and can't find any articulations that do this? Can anyone help. Also, can anyone recomend any books on sounds for cartoon and film etc.

cheers

Paul

Are you using Logic Pro 8, if so, check Soundtrack Pro. It's got some cartoon sounds.

Brookfield67
04-01-2009, 04:25 AM
Cheers guys.

No not using Logic. I'm on Cubase 4. Any ideas or sugestions?

Cheers

Paul

LHall
04-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Slide whistle!

peter5992
04-01-2009, 06:20 AM
This is a glissando - it's in the SO platinum, not sure about Silver. Perhaps you can fake it using a string sound (either orchestra or synth) and your modulation wheel going from left to right?

dumbarranger56
04-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a fun project. I have sought a lot of technical advice here because I have taught myself the computer stuff, so maybe I can give back a little of what I know for a lot of orchestration ovver the years - for what it is worth:

I would like to take your thoughts off the gliss idea. Think about this: GLISS implies and up to down or down to up movement. If your charchter wwere sliding down a slide, or fire pole, gliss would be good.

You action is left to right or right to left - on the same plane, SO - any kind of movement up or down in a rapid fashion might not fit the action. So, although you can probably get away with an up and down movement, how about these suggestions:

I am not sure there are samples for all of these, but you mighht be able to improvise something

1. A trumpet or trombone playing a note with a plunger. As the head turns the plunger opens. This creates stationary (horizontal movement) without suggesting something going up or down.

2. Percussion instruments - ratchet or other instruments like this; roll on a cowvell (not as good - but with notes of random velocity); woodblocks - even if they are two different, but close pitches, Going back and forth from one note to the next does not create upward movement.

Does this help? If not, no problem.

3. Repeating notes changing velocity from soft to loud as a person looks from far to near, opposive if near to far.

composeralex
04-19-2009, 12:35 AM
Dumbarranger had some excellent suggestions. :)

But if you're set on slides, you might try a regular sustain articulation and use a pitch wheel and/or MIDI automation in your sequencer. I just did some pitch bending for the first time with the PLAY SO (I've had it since last fall), and it sounded surprisingly good for a sample bent via pitch wheel. :)

noiseboyuk
04-19-2009, 02:11 AM
What an interesting thread! It sounds like you've got some good tips there, Paul, because I think many of the articulations you're thinking of are there in Gold and Platinum, but not Silver. And I'm pretty sure some other classic cartoon stalwarts would be very hard to create even in Gold or Platinum. Another issue is overall tone - if it needs to sound like it's from the 50's then that'll be tough with SO - some serious time with effects will be needed!

I'm a HUGE Carl Stalling fan - just listening to an old Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes concentrating on what the Orchestra is doing is revelatory. So much inventiveness, clever gags and of course loads of stuff that's entered the aural lexicon... a genuine genius. It would be awesome (if absurdly niche!) to have a 40's-50's sample library with that authentic vintage sound and articultions...

Incidentally, both Warners and Hanna Barbera do sound effects libraries with many of the original effects, and some of these are musical and would be just what you need - violin glisses, piano stabs, bells and xylos, drums and cymbals etc. Obviously these really will sound MASSIVELY different to SO though, and they're not cheap... but it may be an option for the producer if he / she wants the genuine vintage article?

negativelife
05-05-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm a HUGE Carl Stalling fan - just listening to an old Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes concentrating on what the Orchestra is doing is revelatory. So much inventiveness, clever gags and of course loads of stuff that's entered the aural lexicon... a genuine genius. It would be awesome (if absurdly niche!) to have a 40's-50's sample library with that authentic vintage sound and articultions...

Great idea! I thought I was the only one that thought of this! Definitely having some vintage sample library would be awesome and I would buy it for sure. I'm sure you might be able to pull it off with the right effects, but I still take a lot of time as it is on my work....but it would be awesome to come up with some tracks that sounded similar to some of the music from the old Disney cartoons for example.

jancivil
05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Slide whistle!Yes, slide whistle is the cartoon sound. Kontakt 2 came with an instrument called Toy Percussion that's perfect for this, including two different length slide whistles. BTW, these ones, you just give a note on to and you're there.

Beermaster
05-22-2009, 03:33 AM
I'm in the middle of scoring two big cartoon series one for Disney and one fo CITV UK - I'm a big fan of he Tom and Jerry sountracks but another superb reference is the music to the Spielbergs Animaniacs cartoons from the 90s - 30 piece orchestra on the same soundstage as the tom and Jerry toons. - Superb scoring and a great reference too.

For 'Horrid Henry' that I'm scoring I do use som 'quirrky' sounds for FX and pratt falls - Muted solo bone 'WAa' and bone Falls but the majority of the funny stuff is the way you write and score things. Its all about wrting in small segments of around a few seconds and making big contrasts both in the power of the orchestraion and the choice of instruments, changing time sigs, jazzy swing interupted by goofy solo basson doubled by Xylophone - Grand swelling orchestra; introductions that promise to deliver mighty themes....but get interupted a beat early by cheesey solo banjo and Kazoo etc...

Its the way you set up each phrase and how you want it to pay off.. or not

I'm scoring each ep live using two old Carillon PCs using Kontakt in stand alone, 4 hardware samplers and a few racks of outboard synths.

Brookfield67
06-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Thanks for such a fantastic responce. There are some great ideas and tips here that will make like a little easyier or at the very least will get me thinking 'out side the box' a bit.

Cheers

Paul

Brookfield67
06-17-2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks Beermaster. I love the Horrid Henry stuff! We watch em all the time in our house. I'll have another good listen to see how you do it. It's a great excuse for sitting around whatching kids tv. My daughter can't believe her luck!!!

Thanks

Paul

Beermaster
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey Thanks Paul :)

Working pretty flat out seven days a week on these shows and now on Ep95 so getting close to the last ten shows... Yippee ! Can just about complete scoring a show in about 12 hours.. tho the original first ep took a week !

All the best

Beer ( Lester Barnes )