PDA

View Full Version : 4 voices choir in logic

Tranber
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi... Just receveid SC and the installation went perfectly... Now the second step seems too hard :

The tutorial is very clear to create a tenor voice in logic. But what are the settings to create a 4 voices choir (SATB) ? If the midiport are wordbuilder 1 (in) and 2 (out) for the sopranos, then 3 and 4 for altos, which must be used for Tenors and Basses ?

And how to connect the virtual cables in the environment window with 4 voices ?

Please help !

Alcoor31
04-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Hi... Just receveid SC and the installation went perfectly... Now the second step seems too hard :

The tutorial is very clear to create a tenor voice in logic. But what are the settings to create a 4 voices choir (SATB) ? If the midiport are wordbuilder 1 (in) and 2 (out) for the sopranos, then 3 and 4 for altos, which must be used for Tenors and Basses ?

Please help !

i'm curiuos on reply about this question..
For now i would ask you If your SC play comes with Play 1.2 or if works fine just on previous versions of Play engine (i'm on 1.0.83 and all my Play isntruments work fine) i'm on early mac pro 2008 8 gb and Logic 8.0.0 and leopard 10.5.0 ...Have you seen any bugs that other people have seen? like WB etc
thanx

yotamros
04-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Please help !

I had the same exact issue last week. I wish they had a tutorial for this as well, it would have saved me a good few hours.

The way I set a full choir is this:
1. Set up one choir as you already did, make it either a Women WB or Man WB, using wordbuilder 1 and 2.
2. On the WB application go to the Menu bar, under File click New Voice. Set it up for your new choir using wordbuilder 3 and 4. midi channel 1.
3. Go to the environment window in Logic, create a new midi instrument. Set it up to port Wordbuilder 3 and channel 1.
4. connect a cable between wordbuilder 4 to its software instrument.

Tranber
04-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Alcoor31,
SC comes with 1.2 Play and the instruments seem to work fine. I'm on early macbook pro 17', 2Gb. Not powerful enough but i will receive the new mcbook pro 17 8gb next week (3 months after the order !)...
No bug at the moment.

Yotamros,
I tried your solution, but when I create a second midi track in logic, (for the altos for example), it's a twin of the first one (for the sopranos). When I play on it, I hear several choirs differently pitched at the same time...

The probleme of the choirs Women/men is that the sopranos and the altos don't always sing the same words... like for the tenors/basses.

Kerrigan
04-03-2009, 06:55 AM

Please help !

one (clean) way is to create other ports... go in Applications/Utilities and run Audio Midi Configuration (or similar name, I've got an Italian Operating System), double click IAC Driver under MIDI tab. There you can create and name as many ports you like.
Personally I created
"Logic -> WB #1" "Logic -> WB #2" and so on to handle messages from your notes tracks to Word Builder
and
"WB -> SC #1" "WB -> SC #2" ... for messages back from WB to actual PLAY track in Logic

You will find all the ports you expect in the environment and figure out how to proceed.

This way you keep things tidy and clean and are able to follow manual instruction for as many voices you need (and your memory allows :)

Note that if you have say 2 (or 3 or more) basses lines you have to use 2 (or 3...) WB voices and 2 instruments in Logic for the notes, but can send back all on same PLAY track in Logic.

Hope it helps
Michele

Tranber
04-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks Kerrigan ! It's perfect.

cmarolt
04-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Kerrigan,

Thanks you for your tip. I am relatively new to SC and have another question regarding your setup.

For a SATB setup, do you still have to have 4 instances of Play running in Logic? (or 2 if you use full men's and full woman's)

Thanks,

Curtis

gs-dk
04-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Rather strange.....

I make the in and out port the same in wordbuilder and have no problems (as far as I know:)) getting 4 instances of choir. I had the same setup in ealier version of SC - running Kontakt.

Strange.....

I don't see why you have to use 2 ports, as shown in the tutorial video.

oleJoergensen
04-11-2009, 12:48 AM
What does the abbreviation SABT means?

Vincent Bergbahn
04-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Saprano
Alto
Tenor
Bass

oleJoergensen
04-11-2009, 04:13 AM
Ahhh Thanks :)

Kerrigan
04-11-2009, 05:38 AM
Kerrigan,

Thanks you for your tip. I am relatively new to SC and have another question regarding your setup.

For a SATB setup, do you still have to have 4 instances of Play running in Logic? (or 2 if you use full men's and full woman's)

Thanks,

Curtis

yes, 4 instances