PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Cross sheet music...?

Sp3ctre18
04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone knows if sheet music from the Chrono Cross video game is obtainable somehow. I mean, is it even out there, is it possible? I've looked online and I can only find little scores by fans with only a few main parts.

I'd really like to get my hands on the full score for "Scars of Time," and maybe some others but that's the important one. I would like to play it with a world music ensemble i'm doing here at my college, just in case I don't finish the music I'm writing on time. The event is in under 3 weeks, so I have to get it like, within a week.

If it's not out there, than maybe an official version that someone might have written up? just so I don't have to do it myself, or I'd just look for other music.

any ideas? thanks.

Bryan2449
04-02-2009, 12:15 PM
You are going to have a hard time finding media scores period. Movies, video games, TV, etc. are all tough to find do to legal concern regarding copyright / performance issues.

From Film Score Monthly:

3. Q: Where can I find the written music to a soundtrack?

A: The sad reality is that virtually no film music is available like this. You can get piano reductions from places like www.halleonard.com (particularly of popular John Williams themes) but not the complete scores and not the actual film orchestrations.

The reason for this is because publishing music in book form is very expensive; film music carries a lot of costs due to the composer and publisher rights involved; and companies are afraid they could not control public performances were their music to be made widely available.

It is often possible to make appointments at specialized libraries with film music collections, but you have to view the material in person and photocopying is seldom allowed. For example, Alex North’s and Jerry Goldsmith’s sketches are at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (in Los Angeles); Elmer Bernstein, Dimitri Tiomkin, George Duning donated their personal scores to USC (LA again); Max Steiner and Jerry Fielding’s papers are at Brigham Young University (Provo, UT); and so forth. Do a google search for the composer you are interested in and perhaps add “papers” or “collection” and you can often find out where their materials are housed and get a contact number or email address. Also, the historical M-G-M and Warner Bros. studio music libraries were donated to USC while the CBS archives ended up at UCLA. We often review this material while producing our FSM CDs.

If you represent a performing orchestra and want to rent film music for public performance, a great variety is available from Themes and Variations (www.tnv.net). Themes and Variations does NOT rent or sell music to collectors or fans, however—only performing orchestras.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/faq.cfm#q5

rainmain
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Sp3ctre, I sent you a PM.

Sp3ctre18
04-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks Bryan, good to know, and looks like some good links for future reference. :)

Anyway, excuse me for not mentioning that midi's are fine too, but it doesn't matter anymore. RESOLVED. It is found, and i'm good to go.

Thank you very much you two. :cool:

chrono1081
04-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Where did you find it? I LOVE the music from Chrono Cross!

Sp3ctre18
04-11-2009, 08:33 PM
http://www.rpgdreamers.com/cc/ccmusic.html

chrono1081
04-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks! :)