PDA

View Full Version : Just how much RAM does it take?

ZeroZero
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
What with core i7 and win 7 more and faster RAM, its becoming possible...but...

Just how much RAM does it take to run a fully bloated 24 bit full orchestral project, with all loaded intruments? I am talking PC here.

Anyone know?
Zero

Bryan2449
04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
There is so much more to this discussion that amount of RAM - you have spped of RAM, processor speed & multi vs single-core, hard disk number, capacity, cache, speed, single vs multi-platter, motherboard capacity, FSB spped, audio interface drivers / type of connection / buffer size, no slave vs slave computers, operating systems, 32 vs 64 bit architecture, DAW/sequencer capabilites and settings, etc, etc.

You might get more/better responses to your question if you are a bit more specific about what you want to know. With music production, more RAM = better. I don't think that anyone can put a number on how much RAM "is enough." With disk streaming advances, RAM isn't as important as it used to be.

ZeroZero
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the reply Bryan, appreciated. Yes I am aware of these considerations and have been specking a core i7. However a sample has a certain size. Say for arguments sake its say its average of 3meg for a single sample, and each note has say four layers, and you are playing legato, and say you want to load aa whole orchestra. How much ram approximately would this be? This is my question, I do realise there is only some kind of ball park answer, but EWSO platininum full orchestra loaded as a template will have a certain sample 'weight'. I know I cant get a exact answer here and there will be other considerations, but I do not really know even a ballpark figure and I am wondering how much ddr3 1600 memory I should buy to take the sweat out of the system and avoid freezing tracks.

Zero

persentio
04-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Im certain even with 24GB of RAM you won't be able to load a full orchestra template into it. I would suggest you stick with good old disk streaming. DDR3 RAMs are still overpriced anyway.

ZeroZero
04-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the answer, but I am being misuderstood here, I am not talking of loading the full samples, Of course I would use disk streaming, and I do understand their are many factors. I am going to use dd3 probably running at 1600.
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much memory a full orchestra of say 45 instruments (using string sections, articulations) playing tutti, would be? Windows XP tends to use about 2/3rds of a gig, Cubase 5 - well , I dont know but I would say at least half a gig, then I can run about a dozen instruments on my old Athlon 3500 2 gig set up so how much ram is needed to get free of the majority of constraints? There must be a point where you can see blue sky.

Bryan2449
04-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I run 8GB RAM and have no problems running templates from SO and Goliath.

ZeroZero
04-03-2009, 07:13 AM
thanks Bryan - so its 8 gigs that gets you over fences? Anyone else care to post?

composeralex
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
ZeroZero, I'm using SONAR 8.3 in XP64, with an AMD Phenom II quad-core prcoessor, 16GB of RAM, and 4 SATA hard drives.

I set up a huge template for myself using every master KS patch with the orchestra plus about two dozen other articulations that either aren't in the master KS instruments for some reason or I wanted to tweak individually, the Bosendorfer piano, and 4-5 dozen instruments from SD2.

I increased both buffers (play and record) in SONAR to max (2048), set ASIO to 20ms (which is decent), and PLAY to engine level 5.

At these settings, all 177 (!) tracks take about 11.5GB of RAM. Of course, I never have all these tracks playing at once. At most I might have 30 or 40 going at any given time. I do occasionally get some dropped notes or clipping in faster and/or larger sections, but of course bouncing the tracks 5-10 at a time solves this problem.

I hope that helps!

ZeroZero
04-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks Alex this is just what I wanted to know :). It seems it is going to be possible to run everything on one machine - talking i7 920, Vista or Win 7 64, Cubase 5 running in 32 bits, with 12 gig or more. I am trying to decide whether I need more than one machine (fx teleported). It seems to me that we are just crossing the threshold where its going to be possible ot have all in one box,

This is great news, as I abhor technical set up stuff (but can get around).:D.

Zero

Bryan2449
04-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks Alex this is just what I wanted to know :). It seems it is going to be possible to run everything on one machine - talking i7 920, Vista or Win 7 64, Cubase 5 running in 32 bits, with 12 gig or more. I am trying to decide whether I need more than one machine (fx teleported). It seems to me that we are just crossing the threshold where its going to be possible ot have all in one box,

This is great news, as I abhor technical set up stuff (but can get around).:D.

Zero

I wouldn't bother with more than one machine unless you are using SO platinum or maybe pianos. One machine is the future - plain and simple.

ZeroZero
04-04-2009, 01:45 AM
:rolleyes: But I am using platinum, and choirs, and GPO and HAlion Symphony Orchestra, and Kontakt and VSL strings and Halion 3 and Absynth 4 and... you get the picture.