PDA

View Full Version : How noisy are the Raptors?

Steve Millikan
04-25-2005, 08:15 AM
I've read a couple customer reviews on the Western Digital Raptor Drives that say they are noisy. Clearly, this is a subjective issue, but... if my G5 is the 'loudest' piece of gear in my studio, would the Raptor be slightly louder, noticeably louder, ...? I've been quite thrilled with the noise reduction moving from a G4 to a G5.

cKaz
04-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Well the ones in Jurassic park were pretty noisey but the one in my G5 was nice and quite. I don't know what happens when you have a bunch of them in an external box (soon for me) but a single in a G5 was fine. I was worried that the heat was going to be a problem but nothing happened.

Chris

Steve Karl
04-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I read a shootout article a while back and the Samsung Spinpoints rated quieter than the WD. Not sure if it was the raptor, but I have quite a few wdJB120s and 160s and they're loud.
I've got 2 Spinpoints now and you have to press your ear against them to hear if they're even running. Very impressive. Also very fast.
I've slowly changing all of my drives to Samsung Spinpoints.

Steve

Robert H. Weston II
04-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I have the 74 gig Raptor for Colossus and it has an acceptable noise level. I actually haven't noticed it being any louder than my 7200 rpm drives really. I have however decided to locate my computer outside the studio, but mainly for economics of space, but the silence will be nice as well.

madfiddler
04-28-2005, 04:28 AM
To be honest, I haven't noticed them being significantly louder.. however, I've put mine in these...

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/harddrive.php#silentmaxxhdd

aaaaaakash
04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
i have a 37 gig in my pc, right next to my G5. The PC is still quieter than my G5.

aakash