PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 Wave Codec?

Denny S.
04-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm currently working on a project and was told I'd have 5.1 channels available for the music I'm composing. Since I always wanted to give it a try I decided to got for it. After playing around with the settings in my sequencer (Samplitude 10 Pro) and finally getting everything right I noticed that I'm unable to export uncompressed audio data in 5.1. Is there some kind of free codec reagarding that? I tried to google it but with no appropriate result so far.

johncarter
04-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I prepared a protools session for a featured TV movie here in france and we had 5.1 channel for the music.

What we did simply is taking each music stem: the front speaker stem, the surround speaker, the center track and the LFE. Then we put all these mono tracks ( 6 tracks ) in the protools session and we did a 5.1 bounce to wav. Then the resulting wav file was a 5.1 wav file. Simply.

It also works with AIFF

LEX
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm currently working on a project and was told I'd have 5.1 channels available for the music I'm composing. Since I always wanted to give it a try I decided to got for it. After playing around with the settings in my sequencer (Samplitude 10 Pro) and finally getting everything right I noticed that I'm unable to export uncompressed audio data in 5.1. Is there some kind of free codec reagarding that? I tried to google it but with no appropriate result so far.

A 5.1 "channel" can mean 6 individual files or a single file that is interleaved (meaning it contains all the channels, like a stereo file).

You don't need a codec. I highly doubt Samplitude has a restiction on the audio, you are just missing it.

If you are delivering for ProTools, you need to deliver 6 mono files.

If you don't know, it might be wise to deliver mono and intervleave versions.
Beaware, that if you do deliver 5.1 interleave, you need to know their 5.1 configuration because the interleave will output that way.

Like, if you interleave the file as LR CSub, LS, RS and their output config is LCRLSRSsub, your Right channel will come out the center, sub out your left surround ect.

LEX

Denny S.
04-06-2009, 06:17 AM
I prepared a protools session for a featured TV movie here in france and we had 5.1 channel for the music.

What we did simply is taking each music stem: the front speaker stem, the surround speaker, the center track and the LFE. Then we put all these mono tracks ( 6 tracks ) in the protools session and we did a 5.1 bounce to wav. Then the resulting wav file was a 5.1 wav file. Simply.

It also works with AIFF

I pretty much did the same, but unfortunately I didn't find the right bouncing section.

A 5.1 "channel" can mean 6 individual files or a single file that is interleaved (meaning it contains all the channels, like a stereo file).

You don't need a codec. I highly doubt Samplitude has a restiction on the audio, you are just missing it.

If you are delivering for ProTools, you need to deliver 6 mono files.

If you don't know, it might be wise to deliver mono and intervleave versions.
Beaware, that if you do deliver 5.1 interleave, you need to know their 5.1 configuration because the interleave will output that way.

Like, if you interleave the file as LR CSub, LS, RS and their output config is LCRLSRSsub, your Right channel will come out the center, sub out your left surround ect.

LEX

Thank you Lex! I was indeed missing it since it wasn't in the usual exporting section. I had to go to Tools -> TrackBouncing -> Extended -> SurroundTrackbouncing. Also thanks for the interleaved tip, I'll keep that thing in mind!