PDA

View Full Version : I'm misunderstanding keyswitches and articulations

not to brite
04-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, Just recently I purchased Symphonic Orchestra GOLD PLAY edition.

I noticed that, say for instance the 18 violins intrument has the articulation folders.
Long, Short, Effects, ModefXd, Keyswitches, Old Keyswitches,

In the Keyswitches folder it has te Keswtches Master - it has 24 or so articulations
(and the elements version of this)

However the amount of articulations in all the Long, Short, Effects, ModefXd and Old Keyswitches together, is heaps more than 24.

Therefore we cannot access these other articulations via the Keyswitch Master, which is obviously in my eyes the one to use for a track.

How on earth does one create a new Master Keyswitch with all the articulations.

I cant seem to work that out an the manual is not good in describing this.

Please help !!

kenrinc
04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Who says you have to use the master keyswitch? I guess you could but that's your decision. Everybody has their own way of working and I will tell you that many people choose not to use them. The master keyswitches aren't necessarily the holy grail. You can't edit the keyswitch patches (you can change their mappings). In the future you will be able to make your own or edit current ones with PLAY2/PlayPro.

I think you'll find that when your orchestrating something you often do not need ALL articulations available at one time. Maybe that's how you work, I'm just making it clear that not everyone works that way. I know many people who do this for a living and never use keyswitches and in somecases more than 3 articulations to compose. There was a time when there was no such thing as a keyswitch patch FWIW.... Didn't stop us then. Just my $.02

Ken-

ai6276
04-09-2009, 12:00 AM
it depends on what you are trying to do. When using the master keyswitch you can always unload the articulations you are not using, and just have them there.... but then again...how hard is it to go to the browser? it is all a matter of a "personal way" of doing things....there really is not a "Set way" that is part of what is excellent about it. you can recreate a performance in any way you see fit....the down side? you have only so many samples... but quite a few nun the less (i have platinum plus).

i would also say that trying different ways and doing things differently will broaden your understanding... and from there things tend to fall into place much easier.....at least as far as learning a software program etc... but composing excellent compositions? that is another matter entirely.

Bryan2449
04-09-2009, 05:58 AM
the keyswitches don't contain all the articulations available. Use a combo of individual articulations and/or keyswitches to acheive the variety of sounds you require.