PDA

View Full Version : double basses question??

danieljay
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
is thier ment to be an accent on all the double basses??? is that how that actually play?? cause i notice on the patches it starts off with a burts like the player has done a fast bow then slowed it down??

Bryan2449
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
can you be more specific about which library / patch / articulation you are talking about?

danieljay
04-06-2009, 04:17 PM
can you be more specific about which library / patch / articulation you are talking about?

well... im talking about all the 9 double basses long patches and some od the dxf. It seems none are smooth at the beggining they always start off hard then goes to smooth which i want it smooth all the way... its kinda a quick sudden burst.

i can also chnage the velocity but then its kinda to low in volume and it isnt punchy enough... id only do that for quiet passages.

danieljay
04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
anybody noticing this too?? im just wondering if thats how double basses are ment to be played like or sound like when they are played??

on the other hand... it never sounds like thier is a double bass in the pieces i listen to... like the batman begins soundtrack... or the eagle eye soundtrack. They have ether EQ it and taken all the high to mid highs out.... or they have simply used a sub bass synth maybe??

hmmmm....

danieljay
04-06-2009, 11:43 PM
ok well i did some you tube watching i suppose it does have a little accent at the start only because the strings are so fat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snEOLNsNVi4

Bryan2449
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary ... try reducing the attack velocity (or how hard you are hitting the key if/when you play)

paulwr
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
you may very well have the response of your keyboard not set up for the best dynamics in your playing. Great suggestion above to check your velocity.

-Paul

danieljay
04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
you may very well have the response of your keyboard not set up for the best dynamics in your playing. Great suggestion above to check your velocity.

-Paul

should i mess around with the attack on the play software from the instrument or should these be left alone??

Bryan2449
04-08-2009, 05:55 AM
should i mess around with the attack on the play software from the instrument or should these be left alone??

You could mess with the sound envelope in play; you could mess with which articulation you are using (choose one that sounds better to you); you could mess with the recorded velocity in your sequencing program (if it sounds like too much ... reduce the velocity); and/or you can change the velocity on your midi controller - play the keys softer and/or change the velocity/key sensitivity. Many controllers have this feature where you can set the keys to a certain sensitivety level -

For example, you push the key with a certain force and at level 1, the velocity would be 20. If you push that same key with the same force at level 2, the velocity could be 40 or 5. Check the documentation on your controller.

paulwr
04-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Yes, also check your midi keyboard as Bryan suggests. These are expressive samples you have......... you want to be sure you are able to send them expressive midi information to respond to.

-Paul

composeralex
04-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I mess with the envelopes all the time, mainly the attack and release.

For instance, the 11 violin harmonics sound great, but it's difficult for me to go from note-to-note. So, I shortened the attack some, lengthened the release, overlapped them some, and turned on convolution reverb. TADA! Great sounding violin harmonics than can go move melodically.