PDA

View Full Version : Best Optimized DAWs for Virtual Instruments?

Geoff Grace
04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Has anyone done a study on this? I'm specifically interested in two areas of performance:

1) Which DAW can load the most virtual instruments without playback problems?

2) Which DAW has the most bug-free interaction with virtual instrument plug-ins?

Best,

Geoff

Jeff Hayat
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
1) Depends on the host, virtual instruments, and many other configuration options.

2) Depends on the host, virtual instruments, and many other configuration options.

There is no one answer.

Cheers.

Geoff Grace
04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Okay, that's a given. I understand that there are a whole lot of variables. Man, do I understand that!

But that doesn't mean that there aren't ways that DAWs are generally configured that make them more or less friendly to plug-ins in general.

Best,

Geoff

Bryan2449
04-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Do you mean DAW as in your computer or DAW as in sonar/cubase/protools, etc?

Alec
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
At dawbench.com (http://www.dawbench.com/) you can find some interesting tests.

It's just a starting point, but there are some useful information there.

Cheers,
-A

paulwr
04-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Play will need emphasis on cpu power, Kontakt not nearly so much. Virtual synths suck cpu power dry fast, especially additive synths, and also Omnisphere, but perhaps not to as great an extent.

Bunches of ram for big templates of sample playback libraries.

Builders such as VisionDAW will take everything into account, and make GREAT recommendations and pull some great tricks to make a system work its best. They have a ton of experience and many of the biggest composers in the business use them. Want two instances of Kontakt on a machine? They will get you 6.2GB of loaded instruments on one system with complete stability. Want multiple stand alone instances of Play on a slave? They have that figured out, too.

There are other system builders out there, too. Often, you can build yourself cheaper, but not always. The best builders can sometimes create a system that would take you two computers to equal.

-Paul