PDA

View Full Version : What actually is the Repetition button doing?

noiseboyuk
04-12-2009, 04:16 AM
It works really well, I'm curious to know what is going on under the hood!

jphilpit
04-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Did you not read the manual where I explained how the repetition script works? I put in lots of time to explain as much as I can in the documentation, so I hope people are taking the time to read what I write.

Briefly, the script might randomly do one of three changes to each note that is a repeat of the note right before it:
1. detune the note very slighly
2. use a neighboring sample and transpose it a semitone up or down back to the correct pitch
3. adjust the start time of the note very slightly
The goal is to prevent any two otherwise identical notes in a row from sounding identical, which makes the phrase sound less mechanical and more human.

Read the manual to get more details about this feature. In the Symphonic Orchestra manual, it's on page 103. In the Symphonic Choirs manual, it's on page 85. And anytime you're looking for a topic in the manual, use the "Bookmarks Pane" at the left like a table of contents, or do a keyword search.

John

noiseboyuk
04-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks very much, John - no, I hadn't seen it in the manual! I did look first, and just found the very short section under Performance Controls on p27:

Repetition Button
Repetition, in this context, refers to the playing of a single pitch more than once with no
different notes played between them in the same phrase. Turning on this button causes
repeating notes to sound slightly different, avoiding the sense of mechanical repetition.

...and thought that was it! Perhaps there should have been a little "for more information, please see p103". As it is, you've described it perfectly, so many thanks. I'm amazed it works as well as it does - its very effective.

Bruno Garza
04-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Did you not read the manual where I explained how the repetition script works? I put in lots of time to explain as much as I can in the documentation, so I hope people are taking the time to read what I write.

Briefly, the script might randomly do one of three changes to each note that is a repeat of the note right before it:
1. detune the note very slighly
2. use a neighboring sample and transpose it a semitone up or down back to the correct pitch
3. adjust the start time of the note very slightly
The goal is to prevent any two otherwise identical notes in a row from sounding identical, which makes the phrase sound less mechanical and more human.

Read the manual to get more details about this feature. In the Symphonic Orchestra manual, it's on page 103. In the Symphonic Choirs manual, it's on page 85. And anytime you're looking for a topic in the manual, use the "Bookmarks Pane" at the left like a table of contents, or do a keyword search.

John
There's a Manual? :D

Prophecy
04-21-2009, 12:54 PM
where is that manual thing you talk about.

i only had a 1 page install guide

A.Leung
04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
check the first disc

Pietro
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, it's in PDF format and it's called "Play Documentation". It gets installed in the EastWest folder with every update.

- Potr

jphilpit
04-22-2009, 06:04 AM
And note that there are actually 2 manuals and a Master Navigation Document:

one manual for the PLAY System (and that's the same for all libraries)
another manual that describes specific features of that library

It should be the case that the installation process copies the manuals onto your hard drive, placing all the manuals for all the libraries in the same folder.

In each manual, you should see text in the lower right corner at the start of each chapter that directs you to click there to open the Master Navigation Document. That's a one-page PDF that contains links to all the various manuals: currently that's 11 PLAY library manuals plus the PLAY System manual. The MND allows you to jump from one manual to any other without having to go back to the file system to open it. You just have to make sure all the PDFs are in the same directory; for example, if you want to move one manual to your desktop you should move all your PLAY manuals there at the same time, including the MND.