PDA

View Full Version : legal practise of scoring

lacibe
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi all,

I have read in some of the recent threads that one can have some serious troubles if he uses copy righted material for scoring, even if it is strictly for practising...

I wanted to ask if there is a legal and good way of finding video material to practise with? I am especially interested in those that have the sound effects and voices but no music at all... (like a trailer prepaired for scoring...)

What other ways can you suggest to excersise? Any proposals are highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
laci

Sycraft
04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Well if you don't distribute your work, then there is no problem. You can do whatever you like messing with personal stuff. If you want to post music online, even for free, then yes you have to worry about copyright. So depends on what you mean by "practice". If you mean noodling around just for yourself, then do as you please. As a practical matter even if it wasn't legal, they'd never know so not a problem. If you mean doing things for public consumption, then you need to use work that has a permissive license.

lacibe
04-13-2009, 10:50 AM
I mean by practise the personal use but i want to post here for asking the fellows' opinion...
...and of course for that first I need to upload it somewhere...

SO, any suggestions?

laci

Sycraft
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Well if you want to post it, then you need to get stuff that has a permissive license. You could always buy something like Sony Cinescore, which has a bunch of music that is royalty free. If you want things for no cost, then do a search for things released under the Creative Commons license. That is a popular permissive copyright license for creative works. They have a search engine, though I'm not sure how good it is.

lacibe
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Thank you Sycraft!

Pochflyboy
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Ya I would try using video from stock video sites (just google it). The prices for these clips can range though so shop around. But this will give you a legal way to display your music with video

paulwr
04-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Also, become a member of a composer group in a big city. Here in Nashville, the Nashville Composer Assoc. is always sending me emails of students that would like 4-10 minutes of music for their video project. It can be a real benefit for learning, and you get video to work with. So..... practice to picture, and practice working with the director/producer at the same time. Valuable if you are in your beginning stages of developing as a scoring composer.

-Paul

oldbrian
04-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Also it's worth looking around at youtube for short movies and stuff like that and contact the creators whether they'd let you score something for their films.

lacibe
04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Plenty of good ideas!
Thanks, keep on posting them! :)
laci