PDA

View Full Version : will we ever see a mac keyboard?

spyfx
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM
one of my ideas thoughts is to see one day an apple keyboard version of openlabs workstation series,wouldnt that be cool?a keyboard from apple intergrated with logic sweet!what r your thoughts opinions about it?with respect spyros peace.

Sonare Coeli
04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
While the Apple idea of software and hardware being made by the same company is great for compatibility, it's really not so great for making equipment affordable. I'm sure if Apple made keyboards, they would be of great quality and integrate very well, but the prices would be high. My main machine is an Apple Macbook Pro, and I paid a hefty price for it - it works well of course, but the very nature of how Apple's idea is carried out drives up the price.

In terms of music equipment, I really think different manufacturers who specialize in different things will bring forth the best quality all around (i.e. one company makes killer keyboards, another makes great pre-amps, etc). "A jack of all trades is a master of none," correct? One company cannot possibly cover all of the bases well.

Also, keep this in mind. If Apple made their own equipment, such as midi keyboards and workstations, support for "3rd-party" equipment, aka other keyboards from m-audio, etc., would probably go way down. If Apple manufactured everything, they would want you to buy their product, and not someone else's - it makes good business sense. Their products would function well, but if you wanted to use something non-Apple, you might or might not be hard pressed for compatibility.

I'm all for lower prices and higher quality ;). Different manufacturers who work together, but aren't part of the same corporation, will ultimately prove to be a better solution for us, the musicians.

Tyler

spyfx
04-14-2009, 01:47 AM
While the Apple idea of software and hardware being made by the same company is great for compatibility, it's really not so great for making equipment affordable. I'm sure if Apple made keyboards, they would be of great quality and integrate very well, but the prices would be high. My main machine is an Apple Macbook Pro, and I paid a hefty price for it - it works well of course, but the very nature of how Apple's idea is carried out drives up the price.

In terms of music equipment, I really think different manufacturers who specialize in different things will bring forth the best quality all around (i.e. one company makes killer keyboards, another makes great pre-amps, etc). "A jack of all trades is a master of none," correct? One company cannot possibly cover all of the bases well.

Also, keep this in mind. If Apple made their own equipment, such as midi keyboards and workstations, support for "3rd-party" equipment, aka other keyboards from m-audio, etc., would probably go way down. If Apple manufactured everything, they would want you to buy their product, and not someone else's - it makes good business sense. Their products would function well, but if you wanted to use something non-Apple, you might or might not be hard pressed for compatibility.

I'm all for lower prices and higher quality ;). Different manufacturers who work together, but aren't part of the same corporation, will ultimately prove to be a better solution for us, the musicians.

Tylerwell said my friend i agree with u but i was trying to say that it would be great for mac users to have a mac version of openlabs software(workstations).i love mac computers but a computer still is a computer and still doesnt feel at least to me as a musical instrument but when u have a workstation in front of u feels more musical in a way hope u understand peace.

BigMike
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Since mac os is essentially software only for apple hardware, it'll probably never happen but... i've heard of people using Neko/Meko's with iDeneb..... that's all i'm going to say.:p