PDA

View Full Version : Basic terms advice please?

ZeroZero
04-15-2009, 02:29 AM
On my third time through the manual but I still find myself confused with some basic terminology.

I dont really understand the difference between an instrument and a voice and the manual seems to use the terms interchangeably. If I understand right.

An instrument is a set of samples giving a particular phonetic sound a consonant sound or a vowel sound over the range of a particular voice - ie.e soprano, alto etc.

A multi is several instruments (each with their own Play interface - changeable by the top rh corner in Play) loaded at once. This gives the opportunity for speech.

When you save a 'voice' what are you saving? Do you save settings if so which ones - if you have a multi loaded is this saved or only part of it i.e. an instrument?

What then is a choir? The manual states its 'a set of all voices opened at once' - is it then a multi? Why two terms?

This is a fantastic program - I am very impressed, but the manual could be clearer (IMHO)

Could someone clarify please?

thanks

Zero

Kerrigan
04-15-2009, 10:03 AM
"voice" and "choir" are related to Word Builder (WB) program; "multi" and "instrument" are related to Play, the "sample player".
To have your system singing words you have to use both.
Choir: a set of one or more voices inside WB that you can load and save in one shot. (eg a full choir of Sopranos, Altos, Tenors and Basses)
Voice: a file containing settings (eg Tenors) and phrases that you edit load and save in WB, that you connect with a midi port to PLAY.
Multi: several instruments grouped in the desired way... if you use WB you do not mess with the instruments inside the Multis: the multis related to a voice MUST contain those 6 specific instruments.
Instrument: a set of different vowels or consonants factory assembled to work with the other instruments in a given multi.

In everyday work you save a "choir" in WB, and just the multis from the different instances of play you are using (given you are using PLAY standalone).

Hope this helps
Michele

composeralex
04-15-2009, 11:51 AM
An "instrument" is a specific set of sounds. For instance, "Basses OH." In this case, the instruments themselves are "choirs" or "soloists."

A "multi" is a set of instruments that load together. In other PLAY products, a multi is the same thing but not intended for WordBuilder (obviously). For instance, a string multi you build might contain 18 violins master KS, 11 violins master KS, 10 violas master KS, 10 cellos master KS, and 9 basses master KS. You load the multi, and it loads all of those instruments.

There are several definitions for "voice." A "voice" is typically how many notes are playing at the same time (vertically). In classical theory, you talk about "voices" as in lines of counterpoint (the 2nd voice in 4-part counterpoint), or "voices" as in "voicing a chord." In sampling, "voice" is typically used in context of a "voice count," or "max voices," which means how many notes can be played simultaneously.

ZeroZero
04-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks Alex, Michele you have helped.
'

composeralex
04-16-2009, 01:43 AM
No problem. :)