PDA

View Full Version : Using 8 core

gs-dk
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi

If I use Kontakt and Play on my machine (Mac 2X2.8 Quad Core) they seem to share the same core - how do I make them use seperate cores?

Thanks

GS

gstitt
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I'm pretty sure this is completely transparent to the end user. The OS is responsible for scheduling certain processes/threads onto specific cores. If you have multiple cores, then Play and other applications will likely use those cores via threads or some other similar mechanism. There might be a low-level way of restricting a process to a specific core, but I've never seen it done. If there was a linux version, you could rewrite the scheduler yourself.

digit
04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Or, you could use a host which assigns separate cores for each virtual instruments. I believe Logic 8 does that but, I am not sure.

Ideally, all DAW will eventually be 'up-to-speed" with multi-core technology. Same for operating systems.

We are in an interim state of sort right now, both with regard to multi-core and true 64bit processing. At some point, hopefully soon (!), everyone will be on the same page at the same time.