PDA

View Full Version : Canned sound, EWQLSO piano volume

sergeidave
04-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but I don't seem to find any other thread related to my issue.
Here's the thing: I just recorded a 3-4 minute track using only a Steinway piano found on EWQLSO silver edition and CUBASE SX 2.
My problem is that when I come to exporting the final Audiomix, the volume of the wave file is very low even though I exported with the Volume lever all the way up (also the Velocity levels are quite high).
I remember re-importing the audio file and then adding a compressor but, first, it doesn't improve the volume that much, second, the resulting sound is not natural and clear (more like a canned sound).
Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
I really need to commit to reading a Midi Orchestration guide, as I believe issues like this would be piece of cake to solve. I've actually placed a hold for Paul's book Guide to Midi Orchestration and I promise I will read it. In the mean time, it would be awesome if you guys could type a few words of advice related to this issue I'm having.
Thanks a million!!

David

A.Leung
04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
IF your looking for VOLUME a brickwall limiter can be used. I always achieve the best volume curve with a combo compressor/limiter arrangement.

Just because your volume is all the way up on the individual instruments and your still getting a weak mix must mean that your MAINS are turned way down ? Or your individual output channels are too weak?

sergeidave
04-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks! You mean MAINS on Cubase or MAINS on the virtual instrument (EWQLSO)?
Also what readings or threads here can give me more insight on how to use compression and limiters?
Thank you so much!! :)

A.Leung
04-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Hey Sergie. You should have main volume stereo outputs on your sequencer. Check to see how close to peaking you are there when your track plays. See how close to 0 decibles it comes at its loudest.

If you want to learn about limiting and compression you can download a free teaching aid here:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html
(select "download the mastering Guide")

You do NOT need to buy the plugin OZONE4 as this free teaching aid will still applies to ALL compressors and limiters.

Cheers,

sergeidave
04-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Awesome! Thanks, Allan!!