PDA

View Full Version : Pianos

rav4
04-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Some questions...

I read that the installer allows for installing individual pianos, as in you can install just the Steinway. Does it also let you install just one mic position for the individual piano (as in just the player position mics for the Steinway)?

In the CCC bundle Customize, the price difference between Pianos Gold and Pianos is $73. If I chose Pianos Gold now, and in the future wanted to upgrade to Pianos, what would the upgrade price be?

And if I did upgrade, would I still be able to use Piano Gold (16bit, 1 mic position) instruments (for when needing pianos that tax the computer less) as opposed to the larger pianos?

Is Pianos Gold 16bit or 24bit (some have said it's 16bit, but EW never officially said this far as I know)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pietro
04-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Currently, you cannot install only one mic position.

Considering size differences of these libraries (55GB & 263GB) - the Gold version seems to be 16bit.

No info on upgrades yet.

- Piotr

daniel_bader
04-18-2009, 02:58 AM
You can install only one mic position if you copy the folders manually. I did that on my laptop in order to save hdd space. On the DVDs you will find different folders for each mic position and piano. Just drag and drop these to the relevant folder.

Best,
Daniel

persentio
04-18-2009, 03:45 AM
You can install only one mic position if you copy the folders manually. I did that on my laptop in order to save hdd space. On the DVDs you will find different folders for each mic position and piano. Just drag and drop these to the relevant folder.

Best,
Daniel
Won't that give you a Samples not found error? Or even if you do get that dialog you can simply bypass it and proceed without worries as long as you load the correct Mic position?

digital
04-18-2009, 04:54 AM
Won't that give you a Samples not found error? Or even if you do get that dialog you can simply bypass it and proceed without worries as long as you load the correct Mic position?

Hey, it can be done.. I deleted various mic position folders to save space as well.
So as long you don't load up the mic positions u deleted, you should be fine.

persentio
04-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Ok didn't try that before.. Noted. :)

richwhite9
04-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Gold is a single mic position according to the blurb.

System requiremetns for Play are the same.

Just less HD space.

Stilll 64 bit(32-bit compatible)

daniel_bader
04-20-2009, 09:27 AM
It will probably only work if you copy the player mic folder, because it loads this position by default. But I'm not sure. But that's how i did it (it works on my laptop 1,6 Ghz, 3 Gig of Ram):

1. Install the the Play Engine from your DVD
2. Then abort the sample installation which starts after the play engine has been installed.
3. Open your DVD drive and copy the whole player mic position folder to the directory which you chose beforehand. And so forth and so forth.

Best,
Daniel

rav4
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Great info. Thanks.

If Pianos Gold is 1 mic position, 24bit, I might as well get the full Pianos version, since I could run it like Pianos Gold if I manually copy over just the 1 mic (player) position folder per piano.

Daniel, in your step 2, is aborting the sample installation easy to do. Is there an 'abort' sample installation button, or do you force quit? Also wonder if I'd need to install Play Engine off the Pianos DVD if I already installed it from a different library DVD (like SO gold).

If Pianos Gold is 16bit, I may want to get that, and upgrade to full pianos version later. So I'd still like to find out officially, from EWQL or anyone who has Pianos Gold...is Pianos Gold 16bit or 24bit?

ronsheek
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
So I'd still like to find out officially, from EWQL or anyone who has Pianos Gold...is Pianos Gold 16bit or 24bit?

I don't have the gold version, but consider the stated disc space requirements of each package:

Pianos (full version) - 263GB
Pianos Gold Edition - 55GB

Take the full version disc space and divide by 3 to get a single mic position, then take 2/3rds of that to go from 24 bit to 16 bit and you end up with just over 58GB; pretty close to the stated disc space for the gold version. Of course, the real world differences in the total file sizes of the two packages isn't going to be quite so straight forward as such simple arithmetic, but it should be a fairly good indicator that the gold package is 16 bit, as is to be expected since the gold edition is intended to match the SO gold edition.

Just a thought...

Ron

Doug Rogers
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
If Pianos Gold is 16bit, I may want to get that, and upgrade to full pianos version later. So I'd still like to find out officially, from EWQL or anyone who has Pianos Gold...is Pianos Gold 16bit or 24bit?

Gold is 16-bit, so purchasing the full version and using only one mic position will still require 50% more resources than Gold.

Cheers,

- DR

rav4
04-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks Doug and all who posted. Going with Pianos Gold in CCC. Order placed. Now I wait.

Shovyk
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I would also consider buying EWQL Pianos one day and I would tend to go with the gold version. There is one question that was not covered on this thread.

On the page of EWQL Pianos Gold Edition (http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Quantum-Leap-Pianos-Gold-Edition-pr-EW-188.html), we can read this:
[...] When you do have the hardware you need for the full version, the upgrade costs only the difference in price.
That's great but I have not seen yet on the website an upgrade path. If I have not seen it, where is it then? Or perhaps my question should be this one: How do you upgrade from the gold edition to the full edition?