PDA

View Full Version : Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes

Kev Curtis
04-19-2009, 01:35 AM
I simply adore the insane genius of Scott Bradley and Carl Stalling. I don't necessarily want a debate about this, but I just thought I'd share this with you as these two men were probably the first ever composers that I was exposed to during childhood, which I can assume would apply to most people on this forum.

SANMAN
04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks for mentioning these two wonderful composers...brings back fond memories.
These guys must have been so busy. Those great Looney Tunes episodes were cranked out several per week for years. And I assume they tied up the WB studios orchestra ad nauseum.

Andrew Sigler
04-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Such great great stuff....:D

Memphis
04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes indeed. Itīs great tunes. :)

Neo
04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I used to love watching Tom & Jerry - and Bugs BUnny - and Woody Wood Pecker - and Popeye - and Droopy - and and and and

This is one of my all time favorites....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucOfO1_ccf8&feature=related

paulwr
04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
They could really crank out the notes, couldn't they? An all the 'micky mousing' with 'hits' happening all over the place. I know that many frown on over doing it with the 'hits', and the big animation movies don't do it like the old days....... but I've had to write with tons of hits for animation, so I have a special appreciation for it. Its great when you write something and involves some planned hits in a cue, and then wind up with a few extra by accident. I love that....... you take your pleasure where you can!

But all those hits in those old shows, done live. Wow. That's all I can say. Hey, and the music fit the mood, too.

-Paul

johng
04-29-2009, 08:19 PM
They used click tracks on many of the cartoons. And some of the animation was done to tempo.

But it's still pure genius.

JohnO
04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Warner Bros cartoons / Stalling were scored and recorded one per week, not a few. No one could do a few per week at that level! Even one is amazing, from blank page on Monday to scoring session on Friday... DONE! Stalling scored over 600 and usually conducted the orchestra too.

The system they used was film frame numbers ie: frame # 3,124 Bugs gets hit with hammer... the animator and composer know exactly when and what is happening. There's a pretty good book on it called "The Cartoon Music Book".

I still think those old WB cartoons are one of the best artistic achievements to come out of the USA.

Kev Curtis
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
There's a pretty good book on it called "The Cartoon Music Book".

It arrived yesterday from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it :)