PDA

View Full Version : Muse Receptor running gold! *WATCH*

aaaaaakash
04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
controlling from one remote host laptop through one ethernet cable...i want this now.

Sonic State Coverage @ Messe (http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2125)

Harmony Central Coverage @ Messe (http://trio.harmony-central.com/ramgen/Musikmesse05/Muse.rm)

so, is this in the 'now'...or?

aakash

Waywyn
04-26-2005, 12:58 PM
yeh looks quite impressive, but i would like to know some benchmark stuff against a 2gb pc compared to the price.

i think i am still able to set up a complete fxt pc server for around 1000 bucks with 2 GB ram and 3 Ghz CPU and it plays back the same amount of voices as a single receptor which is i think about 1400 bucks, but i am not sure about that. i could be wrong.

if the receptor is much more powerful as a single pc or mac, (what i don't believe) it could get quite amazing :)

aaaaaakash
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
yes, this video got me very excited just to see it working, but that was about it....

i agree with you, i would be surprised to see this outperform a computer/server built for the same price. In fact, after looking into it, Receptor runs off a Athlon 2500+, and only ships with a 40 gig drive and 256mb of PC2700 ram...so i would be hesitant to depend on these specs for EWQLSO... don't know how upgrading all this goes....but im sure it would jack up the price.

...on the other hand, it seems to be a stable system, and has built-in i/o, as opposed to buying all new gear for the second computer/server. And it seems like the team is working hard to come up with updates, etc. (being able to control over ethernet cable, control i/o and use as i/o for remote computer, etc).... I guess we will see how this goes, especially with the dual core processors soon to be released...

either way, distributed audio processing is here... and im glad to see it moving forward.

aakash

tgfoo
04-26-2005, 03:54 PM
I read about this in SoS a couple months ago. Thought it looked interesting. The new Uniwire function that they're making does make this look more interesting. What I think they should is have it so you can have a remote desktop to control it so that you don't have have a seperate monitor for each one. Then I'd probably consider buying one.

aaaaaakash
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
actually, i believe this was something you could do with this from the beginning (since it has built-in ethernet). I think in the user manual, it went into more depth on a simple way to acomplish remote desktop.

i remember that SoS article as well. I read it, but didnt think much of it at the time... but now with this 'uniwire' technology, it really seems cool (and to see him use gold in that video, made me realize what i have been missing). But then again, I have not even tried running a dedicated system through fxt, or somrthing or other, so I don't know how that would compare.

aakash

Composer
04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Meh - it seems a bit silly to me. 9 years ago I bought a top of the line computer that had 64mb of RAM in it (upgradable to 128mb) - just three months ago I bought a G5 with 4GB of RAM (upgradable to 8GB). I'm hearing rumors that Apple will announce a new G5 in June that will be dual 3.0GHZ and upgradable to 16GB of RAM (macrumor.com, I think it was). The best PCs now can handle 4GB right? And Longhorn will be here within three years.

I'm just saying that it seems like we're getting very, very close to finally having enough power to do everything we want on one computer. I think by the time the G6 comes around we will be there. None of this linking computer, muse receptor nonsense.

I for one am not going to spend money on lots of different systems that I'll have to link together - I'll just wait 3-5 years. Professionals of course probably need the power now. But they no doubt would scoff at the idea of using receptors and go back to their VisionDAWs and whatnot.

I hear that 64-bit chips can, theoretically, handle 17 billion GB of RAM. :eek: All I need is like 32 or 64GB!! Imagine a computer with 128GB of RAM! 256! 512! A terabyte!!

I got really off topic didn't I? Oh well. :D

obmit
04-26-2005, 04:28 PM
No it won't happen. If all you wanted to use were 8 year old akai samples, then yes. The sounds keep getting bigger and we use more of them. Next our samples will all be 96k and in surround..............

Composer
04-26-2005, 04:32 PM
On the contrary!! I keep hearing that the future of these libraries we use is (something) synthesis - like what the Synful orchestra uses. So not only will we have 256GB of RAM, but our entire orchestra will only be 140MB big!

aaaaaakash
04-26-2005, 04:50 PM
interesting...what will happen to the market?...will they let us get away with this?....dont they want us to buy more, faster, newer computers?....interesting stuff though...

c.k
04-27-2005, 01:40 AM
...The best PCs now can handle 4GB right?...
... All I need is like 32 or 64GB!! Imagine a computer with 128GB of RAM! 256! 512! A terabyte!!...

It's already here :)

http://www.amdboard.com/iwill_qk8s-8p.html

http://www.iwillusa.com/product_2.asp?p_id=90&sp=Y

Cheers,

ck