PDA

View Full Version : EWQLSO Convolution IR (free!)

Justin M
04-27-2005, 06:43 AM
The "secret" concert hall in which EWQLSO was recorded was based upon the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam if I am not mistaken.

There is a free impulse response at Noise Vault of the concertgebouw:
http://noisevault.com/index.php?page=3&action=file&file_id=136

I am using this response for my "dry" instruments and have found, with a little tweaking, that it blends nicely with EWQLSO.

Anyone have anything similar as an alternative?

p.s. please dont turn this into a thread about the pros and cons of convolution reverb

Justin

jackn2mpu
04-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Don't know what you mean by "secret concert". EWQLSO was recorded in Benaroya Hall in Seattle. Whether Benaroya was based upon the Concertgebouw hall doesn't mean an impulse from one will work to reproduce the other. Building materials, building site, atmospherics, etc. ALL affect a hall's sound. You may get close with the IR from Concertgebouw but not close enough. I forget whether it is Doug or Nick that has the IR from Benaroya; it doesn't look like they'll release it to the general public which is a shame.

Composer
04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Meh. I must be a newbie, because I have no idea how to use impulse responses. They're just .wav files? It's a good thing I chose EWQLSO instead of VSL and don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

About this topic though, isn't it only a matter of time before some big reverb company like Altiverb is going to "sample" (or impulse response, whatever) the Benaroya hall? It'd be funny if that's what VSL's MIR project is!

Justin M
04-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Sorry I actually meant "secret" concert HALL! but you have named it anyway.

Quote - "p.s. please dont turn this into a thread about the pros and cons of convolution reverb"

I fully understand the pros and cons of convolution reverb and actually the Benaroya was designed on the Concertgebouw - same layout, cherry wood etc etc.

And as I said at the bottom of my previous thread the point was that I personally find this IR a good match, not to raise the issue of IRs generally.

If you have found a better match please enlighten us all!

deathadder79
04-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I forget whether it is Doug or Nick that has the IR from Benaroya; it doesn't look like they'll release it to the general public which is a shame.

That is a shame... personally, I find information like this helpful... because I am planning on mixing sounds from RA and other libraries with EWQLSO Platinum, so it would be nice to have the reverbs to match... I'm planning on mimicking the three mic layout with altiverb if possible - hopefully I'll find something close...

Liam
04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I'd love to download that impulse file, but I don't see it anywhere on the site, can you link to it please?

Thanks
Liam

Doug Rogers
05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
That is a shame... personally, I find information like this helpful... because I am planning on mixing sounds from RA and other libraries with EWQLSO Platinum, so it would be nice to have the reverbs to match... I'm planning on mimicking the three mic layout with altiverb if possible - hopefully I'll find something close...

We're not opposed to releasing it, and in fact used it for our RA demos at NAMM (it sounds great), but there is a technical issue porting it from the Sony DRE-S777 reverb that we captured it with for general use. When we have some time to research it we'll ask Sony (or if anyone knows, let us know).

- Doug

Justin M
05-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Thats great news Doug - Im sure plenty of users would really appreciate that.

BTW - Garritan is releasing an update that contains instruments recorded in the Benaroya -
Quote "In addition to the ProjectSAM Brass, GPO Advanced will offer many new instruments and techiques, including instruments recorded at Benaroya Hall in Seattle."
Link: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34055
I wonder if these will mix with EWQLSO?

Liam - Noise Vault have updated thier site the new link is:
http://noisevault.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=29&func=fileinfo&filecatid=136&parent=category

Peter269
05-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Meh. I must be a newbie, because I have no idea how to use impulse responses. They're just .wav files? It's a good thing I chose EWQLSO instead of VSL and don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

About this topic though, isn't it only a matter of time before some big reverb company like Altiverb is going to "sample" (or impulse response, whatever) the Benaroya hall? It'd be funny if that's what VSL's MIR project is!

As a wave file, these should "drop" into Pristine Space (www.voxengo.com), Samplitude and their Real Time Convolution effect, and potentially in the GigaPulse VSTi on release.

Joseph Burrell
05-03-2005, 05:53 AM
We're not opposed to releasing it, and in fact used it for our RA demos at NAMM (it sounds great), but there is a technical issue porting it from the Sony DRE-S777 reverb that we captured it with for general use. When we have some time to research it we'll ask Sony (or if anyone knows, let us know).

- Doug

Well that would be just super. I'm hodgepodging it right now (very nicely I might say) using either Roomverb M2 (algorythmic) or Samplicity's Large Hall IR with Pristine Space Light. They both do the job, but it'd be great to have the real IR from the hall to mix everything in with my lovely Gold.

My RA is screaming for that hall. :D

Justin M
07-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Any news on releasing the EWQLSO impulse response?

higain_guitar
08-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey justin what tweaks did you do the impulse? And are you using sir or voxengo pristine space? Thanks...

Justin M
08-08-2005, 03:28 AM
I increase the size or legnth and adjust the early reflections.
I am currently using Kontakt 2
I do have all the technical data written down but I am working away from home at the moment and dont have it to hand.
Hope this helps.

Justin

higain_guitar
08-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks Justin,
If you do get a chance one day to post that individual setttings you use in Kontakt 2 I would appreciate it.

Best,
HG