PDA

View Full Version : Hello! New to group

lil-man
04-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Hello All! I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the technology of using samples and virtual instruments, so please forgive any future dumb questions I may post. I have a couple of observations as well as a couple of things for a "wish list".

First a little bit about me (is this acceptable?): I "pound" on the piano, "twang" on the guitar, and "honk" on the trumpet. For many years I was in a rock band where we turned on...turned up...and played. The past few years though, music in my head has been waiting to flow out...I just didn't have the ideal tools or the composing knowledge to communicate my ideas. Enter EW/QL. Over the past couple of months, I have been able to scrape up the money for Gold, Stormdrum, Hardcore Bass, and VOTA (I've been sleeping on the couch). Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have provided products with superior sounds in a very user friendly package that allows novices such as myself to overcome the fear of virtual technology. I was a literal "techno-phobe" before taking the chance on a EW/QL product. Did I say thank you? The ease of use and the sound quality have provided the tools and the inspiration to set free the music in my head. Thank you. While my composing skills are rudimentary at best, soon I will be posting my contributions to the demos section.

Another observation. I love this forum. I have been reading the posts over the past couple of months and a couple things come to mind. First, it is wonderful to read and post to a forum that is so positive and supportive of it's members. It seems that members are here because they love to express themselves with music using wonderful products. Thank you. We love to make music, and music is an expression of our individuality. This forum seems to understand that. Thank you.
Second observation. The moderators here (Doug and Nick) have brought back to me one thing that I have been missing...the atmosphere of the "home town music store" (albeit on the Web). Their generosity to the forum conjure images of years past, when the local music store owner would "throw in" extra strings/picks/strap just for buying the cheapest guitar that you could afford. Just recently, they gave stuff to a member for being the first to respond to a post. Thank you. Your generosity shows that you value your members and the input they have regarding your products and their art. Thank you.

Ok, now for the wish list. I would love to try QL 56 Strat, but Gigastudio still scares me, ok...I just haven't learned enough. I would love to have a virtual instrument dedicated to electric guitar. Yes, I play guitar, but being able to load an easy to use instrument to hammer out ideas would be great.

Also, I have never seen any Marching Band/Drum and Bugle Corps/Drum line type samples. The sound of a Drum and Bugle Corps in a full "company front" is a pure wall of sound. Being a former "band geek", I would love to be able to recreate and arrange things for Marching Bands. I know that this may be too specific topic for a virtual instrument...but wish for it just as well.

Thank you again, and I apologize for the length. I promise future posts will be shorter!

lil-man

Current Inspirations:
Band Of Brothers - Soundtrack
Any Sarah Brightman
YES - Symphonic Live

Doug Rogers
04-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Hello All! I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the technology of using samples and virtual instruments, so please forgive any future dumb questions I may post.

Another observation. I love this forum. I have been reading the posts over the past couple of months and a couple things come to mind. First, it is wonderful to read and post to a forum that is so positive and supportive of it's members. It seems that members are here because they love to express themselves with music using wonderful products. Thank you. We love to make music, and music is an expression of our individuality. This forum seems to understand that. Thank you.
Second observation. The moderators here (Doug and Nick) have brought back to me one thing that I have been missing...the atmosphere of the "home town music store" (albeit on the Web). Their generosity to the forum conjure images of years past, when the local music store owner would "throw in" extra strings/picks/strap just for buying the cheapest guitar that you could afford. Just recently, they gave stuff to a member for being the first to respond to a post. Thank you. Your generosity shows that you value your members and the input they have regarding your products and their art. Thank you.

lil-man

Thanks for your post and welcome to our forum!

No questions here are considered 'dumb'. We realize people come to these forums with varying degrees of knowledge and experience and hope to learn something from the pros that generously donate their time here as well - that's what a good forum is all about.

Fortunately also, this forum seems to lacking the bickering and insults that are allowed at other forums. It's early days yet, but so far we've had no reason to warn or ban any forum members.

So let's continue to keep it positive and informative.

Btw, you might want to check out COLOSSUS, it is very versatile. Check out the range of demos and for your needs Larry Hall's "Streetlight" demo here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-164

- Doug

lil-man
04-27-2005, 02:42 PM
:D Thanks for the reply! I have checked out ALL the demos for colossus last week. I love it!

SANMAN
04-29-2005, 10:07 PM
lil-man

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a newbie as well, and have learned much from the many talented folks here. I'm extremely interested in building out my sound library, and there's a plethora of outstanding samples out there.

I currently use Gigastudio 3 Orchestra edition with Sonar-4, as you have. I find that both products (versions) have been stable for me and tightly integrated. No complaints.

I'm seriously considering purchasing the Colossus product. It has a well rounded library. I do utilize the general midi (GM1) soundset extensively in most of my orchestrations and arrangements (as a hobbyiest), and the 14 GB GM sound bank in Colossus would work wonders for me.

Once again, welcome and look forward to hearing some of your work.

Mark