PDA

View Full Version : True Legato?

danieljay
06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
I hear people talking about how SO isn't true legato.Could someone explain why that is?I'm wondering what true legato sounds like,does SO not have this?I just want to know what to listen for that makes the legato patches not true legato.Doug says HS will have true legato,that's why i'm asking,if someone could help me out here a little.Thanks.

OneThrow
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Legato is where two or more notes are joined seemlessly, ie no break between the notes. You know that I'm sure. ;)

True legato is just a way of saying my legato is better than yours.

I think the comments about SO are really comparing it with VSL legato and some legato patches in Gypsy where legato between two notes is sampled so for example you can get to a from b, from c, from d etc above and below. The software then plays a different sample depending upon whether you come from b or c or d etc to the a. I'm not sure if that is clear, anyways for a lot of people that sounds really good, but interestingly, not for everyone. SO doesn't do that, it does simulate legato in a different way, you are best to read the manual for that, my explaining is not too great.

Ultimately its down to your own taste.

Pietro
06-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Yes, true legato is a sampled one. In EWQLSO legato and portamento is artificially simulated with scripts.

You can hear examples of true legato/portamento in Silk. The biggest problem with it is, that you can't really make it longer or shorter (unless it can be programmed in).

- Piotr

noiseboyuk
06-30-2009, 05:26 AM
It seems to me almost impossible to have successful sampled, playable legato - in theory you'd need every interval at every speed on every note at every velocity! And even if that WERE possible, can you imagine how impossible it would be to program?

I think I've mentioned this mad idea somewhere before, but an interesting application in a VI would be to analyse a midi sequence, and intelligently choose articulations automatically, maybe using some nice options such as "aggressive", "lyrical", "emotive", "subtle", "flowing" etc. That would be incredible in Hollywood Strings, and in a different way compete with something very quick to use like Symphobia. A huge part of the struggle for musicians is turning in stuff on a tight deadline - if I could press a magic button that sorted all the articulations well and quickly, that would be a massive selling point.

Something like that might make sampled legato work and be practical, I guess, if there were enough raw samples.

chriscaouette
06-30-2009, 05:43 AM
VSL's player is kind of like this actually. You can set it up to switch on speed at least. Example I was going from a legato patch to a trill and the speed of the notes indicated when to switch. In a large ensemble EW's Legato works just fine but when soloed out the sampled legato of VSL is the winner. I think that's part of why there are so many samples as each interval is sampled. The downside it is always the same speed but they do provide some sounds with a faster response. I still find a merry mixture of both works best.
Chris

Pietro
06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
It seems to me almost impossible to have successful sampled, playable legato - in theory you'd need every interval at every speed on every note at every velocity! And even if that WERE possible, can you imagine how impossible it would be to program?

You can record legato/portamento in one speed in one or two velocities, then script in some time stretching for those samples and make the speed dependent on a CC or Velocity for example and crossfade between dynamics. Quite possible.

There is a string library comming in July, that's supposed to do this, including round robin true legato intervals at various speed and quite impressively thought out divisi.

- Piotr

theitalianpianist
06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
There is a string library comming in July, that's supposed to do this, including round robin true legato intervals at various speed and quite impressively thought out divisi.

- Piotr

And that would be hollywood strings?

dcoscina
06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
what it is is a slur. VSL recording intervals being played as well as individual notes. Sounds like SILK is the same. This is really the most effective way of capturing a real slur, by having the instrument actually sampled with the two notes slurred rather than played individually then some kind of script being applied to the sound afterwards.

I'm quite excited to hear Doug and Nick's HS for this reason. The legato in VSL is very good in the winds and brass but I find it wanting in the strings and thus far, most examples of portamento have been....um....really bad. I cannot stand hearing portamento when it's done badly- only because it's VERY difficult to apply it with real strings without it sounding shmaltzy or dated (remember this was a popular effect for Golden Age film scores- ie Max Steiner and Erich Korngold)