PDA

View Full Version : Convert .nki to .exs ?

Newzik
07-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi I was wondering if it was possible to convert .nki files to .exs ( for the sampler exs24 in Logic Pro ) Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Martin Hines
07-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Most samplers have an ability to import different format libraries. What does the EXS24 manual say?

The real issue is to what Kontakt-format samples are you referring? An .nki file does not contain the actual samples if you are talking about commercial Kontakt libraries. Any Kontakt library that comes with a player engine will have the sample files encrypted (e.g. samples in an .nks file). These you can not convert to any other format.

What type of libraries were you wanting to convert?

A.Leung
07-09-2009, 11:48 PM
No can do. Even Translator doesn't offer that format change:

http://www.chickensys.com/support/software/translator/format_status.php

Newzik
07-10-2009, 06:36 AM
In all my Complete Composer Collection, I do nopt have .nks, only .nki. The ones I want to convert are the .nki, from the Stormdrum library. The reason is that I want to import the into Ultrabeat, mostly for the step sequencer. to use them with its interface. I could export every notes in the .nki instruments into .wav or aiff. to import them one by one in Ultrabeat as .exs, or .pst ( kit instruments included with Ultrabeat, but it will be pretty long! I was checking if there was a method to convert.

According to the EXS24 manual, AKAI, S1000, S3000, SampleCell, Giga, DLS, SF2, and can be imported to be converted into .exs ( which this format can be imported in Ultrabeat, as a kit ). So it doesn't seem possible to do this with EXS24.

I am not too familiar with Kontakt, from what I saw, there is no Step Sequencer. would there be another way of doing what I want to do, or am I just simply complicating my life?

Thanks.

A.Leung
07-10-2009, 10:41 AM
In all my Complete Composer Collection, I do nopt have .nks, only .nki. The ones I want to convert are the .nki, from the Stormdrum library. The reason is that I want to import the into Ultrabeat, mostly for the step sequencer. to use them with its interface. I could export every notes in the .nki instruments into .wav or aiff. to import them one by one in Ultrabeat as .exs, or .pst ( kit instruments included with Ultrabeat, but it will be pretty long! I was checking if there was a method to convert.

According to the EXS24 manual, AKAI, S1000, S3000, SampleCell, Giga, DLS, SF2, and can be imported to be converted into .exs ( which this format can be imported in Ultrabeat, as a kit ). So it doesn't seem possible to do this with EXS24.

Sure you can resample each and every note at each and every velocity level using a program like Redmaticas KEYMAP. WOuld take months if not longer...

Jonathan Kranz
07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Why not just do the step sequencing in Logic and leave the format as is, I'd think it would be easier...

Sound On Sound - Step sequencing in Logic (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/logictech_0407.htm)

-Jonathan

Newzik
07-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Why not just do the step sequencing in Logic and leave the format as is, I'd think it would be easier...

Sound On Sound - Step sequencing in Logic (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/logictech_0407.htm)

-Jonathan

I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks for the tip!

Martin Hines
07-11-2009, 11:46 AM
In all my Complete Composer Collection, I do nopt have .nks, only .nki. The ones I want to convert are the .nki, from the Stormdrum library.

I think you are mistaken. The EastWest NI Kompakt/Intakt based libraries have .nki (instruments), .nkm (multis) and .nks (encrypted sample files). Just look in your "\Library" folder.

You can't convert these files.

A.Leung
07-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Thats why Chicken systems is not allowed to have a translator for those samples. THey are LOCKED and legally can not be translated into something else.

Nick Batzdorf
07-11-2009, 02:49 PM
I think Keymap Pro 2 may do that when it's released.

http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/NAMM_2009.html

Doug Rogers
07-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I think Keymap Pro 2 may do that when it's released.

http://www.redmatica.com/Redmatica/NAMM_2009.html

I think any company that interferes in the copy protection of another company is digging a very big legal hole for itself, if you know these people you should warn them.

To answer the original posters question, most virtual instruments are copy protected and cannot be imported into another companies software legally. However, you can use Logic to host any NI or PLAY powered instruments without conversion.

Cheers,

- DR

agoz
07-16-2009, 03:41 AM
We just noticed this thread, and I'd like to add some first-hand information.
The Kontakt file support in Keymap Pro 2 is a collaborative project with Native Instruments, and as such it will respect NI policies respect to their file formats.

So, you can all relax now: no legal holes and no need to warn anyone :)

Andrea
Redmatica