PDA

View Full Version : QL Pianos Full vs Gold

juanvalverde
07-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Ok, i usually don't ask this type of questions since most of them have been answered before. But since i've already try this and can't find the answer, i would like to know the real differences between both libraries. The questions are the following:

1.-Is the sound difference the same as with SO?
2.-16-24 bit?
3.-Mike Positions, LId?
4.-Are the demos posted the full version or gold version? (in the product page for gold edition)
5.-Is there a special price to upgrade later on?

Thanks!

Juan

juanvalverde
07-11-2009, 09:39 AM
anyone?

Pietro
07-11-2009, 10:08 AM
1. Um... not sure what you mean? ;)
2. 16 bit (full version - 24bit)
3. Only player position. Full version also has close and room mics.
4. "All demos were created with no external reverb or processing. Most demos were created using the player position mics only. Some demos such as Hammerklavier and Liebesfreud use a mixture of the player position mics and the room mics."
5. http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Quantum-Leap-Pianos-Upgrade-Crossgrade-pr-EW-171U.html

- Piotr

juanvalverde
07-11-2009, 11:25 AM
thanks!

Regarding my first question let me give you an example of what im talking about.

I bought my way up the ladder to get Platinum Pro XP, i started with silver. My jump from silver to gold was the biggest
more obvious difference. From Gold XP to Platinum Pro XP i only heard the difference in mic position, but 16 bit to 24 bit to me wasn't that obvious. Of course, i still don't have platinum plus, but plan on getting it. The question is, does the same apply to gold pianos vs the full version? Does it sound almost the same? Are the differences notable in a mix? I probably will get the gold and later on upgrade to the full version, but still want to know opinions since i haven't seen or read many.

A.Leung
07-12-2009, 12:44 AM
16 - 24 bit debates go on a lot here at the forum. :) I can hear the difference and always prefer 24 bit. Its also best in a recording situation since it makes room for more headroom.

Now forgetting all of that and not really wanting to go into a 16 vs 24 bit debate the REAL gem of the pianos library (for me) is the ability to mix and match different Mic positions. The sound and feel of the Bose with Close mic mixed with Player is just unbeatable (IMHO)

Pietro
07-12-2009, 05:09 AM
I like 24bit more, not because of the sound difference which I don't hear in most cases, but for the additional dynamic range. I can mixdown whole Platinum arrangement in overall very low level, and high dynamic range for example for film, where the music volume will still be automated in mix with sound. This way, I can preserve the dynamic range, and after pulling up the lowest (in volume) parts by 10dB, I'm calm, there's not so much noise comming from the dynamic bottom, as it would've been with 16bit samples.

- Piotr

persentio
07-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Sound quality issues aside though; 16 bit samples are significantly more CPU-friendly (as well as space friendly) and hence more suitable for use on less powerful systems.

higain_guitar
07-13-2009, 12:23 AM
The sound and feel of the Bose with Close mic mixed with Player is just unbeatable (IMHO)

Dear A.Leung,
Would you be wiling to post a short demo mp3 showing the sound difference with the Bose with player position only vs Bose with player position and close mic?

I would be interested in hearing the difference.

Also, I suppose Piano gold user can use the convolution reverb with the player position to simulate the room mics, right?

Take care,
HG

A.Leung
07-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Heres the beginning of the Moonlight Sonata (I'm not the greatest player) but you should get the idea. I played it quick and just assigned it different Mics without altering the MIDI any.

First MP3 is PLAYER only
Second MP3 is Player with a little bit of CLOSE
Third was for fun. I added a little bit of Galaxy 2 pedal noises (very subtle), Hammer Noises, Damper and string (also all very subtle)
I didn't Normalize the tracks due to subject matter.

http://www.music4themovies.com/PLAY_Bose_player.mp3
http://www.music4themovies.com/PLAY_Bose_player_close.mp3
http://www.music4themovies.com/PLAY_Bose_w_Galaxy_noises.mp3

A.Leung
07-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Well as far as simulating PLAYER mics with Convo its pretty hard to do that to emulate the UP Close and personal Mic positions since that wouldn't have much verb at all. But certainly for more DISTANT Mics you can add convo to the player to approximate ROOM mics I would guess. Remember - The FULL piano library comes with CLOSE - PLAYER and ROOM microphone positions.

noiseboyuk
07-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for those demos, Allan, really useful. Must admit the difference between all of them is pretty damn subtle! To my ears, the biggest difference is with the third one - at around 20 secs in particular it just sells the image of a real player at the keys! Does QL Pianos come with those damper noises etc or was that only in Galaxy?

A.Leung
07-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Terry taught me that trick! Noises can be good! Its in Galaxy only.

higain_guitar
07-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Dear A.Leung,

Thanks for the demos!
Sound can be a very subjective thing. I listened with good headphones and on studio monitors and, personally, I like the player only mp3 better than the mp3 with the close in it. But I understand how having more mics is a good thing...

Take care,
HG

noiseboyuk
07-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Terry taught me that trick! Noises can be good! Its in Galaxy only.

Nice one, Terry! Since Galaxy is EWQL, I'm surprised that this wasn't a feature in QL Pianos too - that third one is the mp3 that stands out to me. I understand that the piano tone itself is QL, but hearing what you did to it makes me think they missed a trick!

Pietro
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Since Galaxy is EWQL, I'm surprised that this wasn't a feature in QL Pianos too

Galaxy is actually BestService, and since EW and BS are actually business friends, I bet they had some kind of agreement on how NOT to compete with each others libraries ;).

- Piotr

noiseboyuk
07-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Galaxy is actually BestService, and since EW and BS are actually business friends, I bet they had some kind of agreement on how NOT to compete with each others libraries ;).

- Piotr

Ohhhhh.... still, I think it puts a bit of a damper on things.

HA HA HA HA!