PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

Hicks
07-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Hi all,
I am a new user of play and EWQLSO, and I am a bit confused with the manual.

What is exactly the difference between a master file and an element file. It seems that the master has the keyswitches organised and that we have to organise ourself with the elements file. Is it the only difference?

My second question is when I want to use the master file to compose + one articulation which is not included in the keyswitch (for example, an effect). How can I do? I don't want to create two tracks, using the second one only for the effect.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

OneThrow
07-21-2009, 06:04 AM
I am sure someone else will come along and give you a better answer but here goes.

The master file is a keyswitch file that includes all the most used articulations of an instrument. The elements file is there so you can audition atriculations without loading the whole set. Plus it is not keyswitched so if you load two articulations they both play at the same time.

If you want to use articulations that are not in the master file you have to have a different channel and probably a different track in your DAW.

When play pro comes out towards the end of the year you will be able to program your own keyswitches and mix whatever articulations you like.

Of course others may know different, but in the meantime I hope that helps.

Cheers. :)

anthonyzerillocomposer
07-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I am sure someone else will come along and give you a better answer but here goes.

The master file is a keyswitch file that includes all the most used articulations of an instrument. The elements file is there so you can audition atriculations without loading the whole set. Plus it is not keyswitched so if you load two articulations they both play at the same time.

If you want to use articulations that are not in the master file you have to have a different channel and probably a different track in your DAW.

When play pro comes out towards the end of the year you will be able to program your own keyswitches and mix whatever articulations you like.

Of course others may know different, but in the meantime I hope that helps.

Cheers. :)

Sounds good to me.

However, how do you 'call' up those articulations say within Sibelius, or do I have to do something in my DAW (Reaper, Sonar...)? Last time I posted a piece of music, I was told some of the sections sounded a little too artificial probably because I had simply loaded an instrument patch and very basic on the articulations and some sections could have done with a sus patch rather than a 'normal' patch.

OneThrow
07-21-2009, 06:27 AM
You probably need some of J.Loving's sound sets to help you out. If you check out the back pages of the "General Discussion" thread you'll find a link.

persentio
07-21-2009, 06:40 AM
What is exactly the difference between a master file and an element file. It seems that the master has the keyswitches organised and that we have to organise ourself with the elements file. Is it the only difference?

My second question is when I want to use the master file to compose + one articulation which is not included in the keyswitch (for example, an effect). How can I do? I don't want to create two tracks, using the second one only for the effect.Hey Hicks,

Put simply, loading a Master keyswitch patch loads ALL the articulations associated with it along with a predetermined set of Keyswitch notes assignments; wheras if you load an Elements patch, only the first listed Articulation will load while the others don't load initially. (You can select to load them manually) There will also be no predetermined Keyswitch note assignments.

Both the Master and Elements keyswitch patches can be customized to your preference or to what PLAY allows you to.

As for your second question, I'm afraid that's the most practical way to go about doing it. You CAN actually trigger the same sounds from a single MIDI track, but you would have a whole lot of additional, unwanted notes since MIDI data is being sent to both loaded patches; unless somehow, somewhat; the keyswitch patch does not overlap with the other patch you load up in the playable key areas.