PDA

View Full Version : "The Way Home" (Gold)

DPK
05-01-2005, 04:55 AM
I know itís not too original but comments and critique on orchestration and realism would be very helpful.

Thanks,

"The Way Home" (http://www.dpkmusic.com/music/7002MIX7.mp3)

dk

ToddK
05-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Excellent! Love it!

Is this in the contest? It should be, if its not.

I really love your sense of phrasing. I love the phrasing especially at around
55 to 1.05. The way certain things come in, like i think its a glock or crotale
on the off beats. Very very nice.

And the big sweeping cresendos are awesome.

Very well done maestro... Bravo
TK

lux
05-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Good cue dk, here are just a couple of personal impressions.

The piece at about 1.10 begins more climatic, and in that part you seem to leave a bit too space to all instruments, without leaving that breath in each instrument staff part that could give more dynamic to the writing, creating some sort of call and answer between parts. I mean, long melodic instruments sound a bit too much to my ears with crossing lines. I would simplify a bit the parts to give more breath.

i suggest you to reduce usage of exp or lyrical patches for violins and cellos. They have a very long release and tend to overlap a bit too much. Also, each time you draw a note, you have a crescendo because of the patch, that tends to reduce realism. I would use some 11v legato patch and use the lyrical just in some part, when you need a very passionate accent. Same for cellos.

To check strings parts I use to shut down all other instruments and see strings parts together in piano roll, to check if chording makes sense to me.

those are mainly personal impression of course, based on my taste.

Luca

DPK
05-02-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the comments and critiques! I really appreciate it.

Is this in the contest? TK

Well, I'm not sure. I think I can maybe do better. What I mean is, I think I should write a less cliche sounding piece for the contest. Harmonically, itís really all been done a million times before. I donít think there is anything really ďstrikingĒ about the composition. I donít know if we can enter multiple pieces. If so, then yes, Iíll most likely put it in and then start work on a new entry.

Thanks for the nice words. :)

i suggest you to reduce usage of exp or lyrical patches for violins and cellos. They have a very long release and tend to overlap a bit too much. Also, each time you draw a note, you have a crescendo because of the patch, that tends to reduce realism. I would use some 11v legato patch and use the lyrical just in some part, when you need a very passionate accent. Same for cellos.

To check strings parts I use to shut down all other instruments and see strings parts together in piano roll, to check if chording makes sense to me.

those are mainly personal impression of course, based on my taste.

Luca

I'm still concerned about string programming with Gold in general. I canít even begin to tell you how many hours I spent on all the string parts... :eek: The legato patches are still difficult to control as far as the crescendo effect. I mostly used sordino and legato patches, including the ďFlowingĒ cello patch. I did use the 11VI lyrical patch but only in a few parts. That 11VI lyrical patch is so unruly, it has a mind of itís own and tends to dominate wherever I use it. It has such a beautiful tone though that itís hard to resist. :)

dk

Beach
05-08-2005, 06:07 AM
DPK,
this is just a beautiful piece!!!
Really amazing.
I think that melody and orchestration are really good.
I enjoy very much this piece.
The only thing that I would try to do better is the part of the brass at 1:05. just a few seconds in which the realism is lost. But it is only for a few seconds.
The rest of the piece is really convincing.
Congratulations for this beautiful composition. I hope that one day also I could write such a beautiful piece!!!! :o
best regard,
Roberto

DPK
05-09-2005, 10:30 AM
DPK,
this is just a beautiful piece!!!
Really amazing.
I think that melody and orchestration are really good.
I enjoy very much this piece.
The only thing that I would try to do better is the part of the brass at 1:05. just a few seconds in which the realism is lost. But it is only for a few seconds.
The rest of the piece is really convincing.
Congratulations for this beautiful composition. I hope that one day also I could write such a beautiful piece!!!! :o
best regard,
Roberto

Thank you very much for the nice comments, glad you enjoyed it! :)

dk

matthew82475
05-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Cool...I definately like it. I wouldn't be too critical of the "cliches". You use them well. One of my composition instructor's once told me not to be afraid of harp glissandos and cymbal rolls just because they're over used, just use them well.

My critiques: at about 1:30 it started to meander a bit. I wasn't quite sure where you were going with it. And near the end, I think it would be great to take that brass stuff to the next level. Really let it go and it could be thrilling especially when you take it back down again for the pp close.

Great work,

Matt