PDA

View Full Version : Still undecided: Platinum vs Gold Pro..

Michael Naz
05-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Sorry Doug, I'm bringing it down to the wire to decide on the Platinum GB..

3 mic positions vs the new articulations (plus the Platinum articulations that weren't included in Gold).

I wish I could afford to get Platinum and Platinum Pro, but that's out of the question right now. So.. I need to decide on Platinum or Gold Pro. I've been using the C and S mic positions that are included in Gold and there's definitely a difference when they're in the mix.. but, the F mics still sound amazing on their own. I like mixing a little of the C mics in with the F mics, it gives the instruments more 'zing' (best way I can describe what I'm hearing and liking). So that pulls me in the direction of Platinum. But then I read through the articulation list for Gold Pro and I'm back to square one. It looks like Pro is going to be a great library, and a lot of solo instrument articulations have been added, which I use a lot.

Is anyone else still on the fence about this? I'm curious as to what other's opinions are...

Naz

ELP71
05-03-2005, 05:54 AM
I have a similar thread going with exactly zero replies - evidently no one wants to touch this :D

Seriously - its a tough one. If you have the hardware to 'handle' Platinum, and you are jazzed by the mic positions, then I think you should give it a serious thought. It seems to me that the articulations included in Platinum that don't appear in Gold would go a long way to asuage and further gear lust.

The thing that's giving us all a brain freeze is the pricing. Thank God for these types of 'problems'!!!

Doug Rogers
05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
You can't underplay the significance of the 3-mic positions. If you want a wetter sound in Gold you can add reverb, but that sounds artificial. I've heard all of the popular reverbs, convolution, the $10,000 Sony DRE-777 Reverb (Nick has one), Lexicons, Altiverb etc. - nothing comes close to the sound of the hall mics in Platinum. If you want to get closer to the instrument or bring forward a player, you can only do that in Platinum. If you want to 'virtually' sit in the middle of the hall and listen to the orchestra you can only do that in Platinum. There are almost unlimited sound options in Platinum that are not available in the other versions. 24-bit? Of course you are not going to hear the difference in MP3 files, but the difference is dramatic on a good system (like movie theatres). If you have seen the Las Vegas Cirque Du Soleil KA show which uses EWQLSO Platinum and Stormdrum throughout the performance you will know what I'm talking about. The dynamic range is improved by 50% and mixing the instruments together is much smoother sounding.

Obviously it's your call, but if they were the same price I know which one I would want.

- Doug

spacetone
05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I opted to get Platinum -- really glad I did since there are so many times/projects where you need these sounds with LESS natural verb than what you have with the F presets. I'd say get Platinum now, you'll end up finding a way to get Plat. Pro later.

Michael Naz
05-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys.. I think I was over-analysing Gold vs Platinum a little too much and in the end it was an easy decision.. I joined the Platinum GB!

I spent a lot of time last night playing with the Tuba C and F Gold mics and that definitely put me over the edge. Its pretty amazing how easy it is to add and subtract reverb between the different mics and it sounds incredible.. I think the difference is even more pronounced on solo instruments, and I can't wait to use it on the solo strings!

fvicente
05-04-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi,

It's going to be down to the wire for me. I'm going to look over the articulation list once again in detail for Gold PRO and spend time listening to the differences on the C,F & S mic instruments that come in Gold. I was positive about going with Gold PRO but I'm feeling like I'll kick myself if I don't go for Platinum at this price. The only other difference that I won't be able to test here is the difference between 16-bit and 24-bit. For that I'll need to look at the demos offered.

I wish that I had the extra $$$$ at the moment but that's what they invented credit cards for isn't it? Maybe I'll be back before midnight. ;)

fvicente

AndyFinkenstadt
05-04-2005, 11:40 PM
T-minus 20 minutes...

dubaifox
05-05-2005, 12:44 AM
T-minus 20 minutes...

T-Minus 15

Just bought it after much to and fro-ing.

Glad I did!!

Now I just have to buy a new computer :o