PDA

View Full Version : Multiple notes on one syllable?

Oldfield
01-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Hi,

I'm sure this is possible, somehow - as I'm sure the J S Bach O Grosse Lieb SC demo has it...

I'd like to be able to play some words, with multiple notes in a <whatever the musical term is, it's late and I'm tired, sorry> sort of way.

Take the word Raven - "raE vun", in Votox.

Each new note I play makes the next votox word trigger. I don't want that to happen. I only want the next word to trigger when I completely release all keys and press some new ones.

Say I play a C chord (C, E, G) and whilst holding down C / G I move the E to D then back to E... make sense?

Can it be done? How?

MPDmike
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
As I understand it, each Votox word is broken down into its separate syllables, which must each be triggered by their own notes. So, using your Raven example, you could break it into a 3-syllable word such as raE - aE - vun, triggered by 3 separate notes. I do note that some words trigger on the down and up movement of keys, but I think that is when you leave no gap between the syllables?

Jose7822
01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
I think you're gonna have to separate the voices into it's individual parts (i.e. Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass - depending on the type of choir you're working with of course). That's assuming each voice sings a single line at that point where you need one to sing the same syllable. If, on the other hand, that C chord is being sung by the same voice type (i.e. the Sopranos), then you'll have to create two instances of Soprano voices to where one sings the held notes (C & G) while the other sings the moving part (E - D). That's about the only way I can think you can achieve what you want. Then again, I'm new to SC, so I may be missing something.

Take care!

Oldfield
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Hey,

Thanks for the replies... I thought it would be a case of multiple instances etc. I've only really managed to get it working semireliably in standalone via LoopBe, and I still get crashes.

VST it's a lot more troublesome. :(

I wonder if Mr Ferrari will poke his head in here :)

Jose7822
01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
You're not alone brother. Which sequencer are you using?

Oldfield
01-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Cubase 4.5.1 - here's a question - is everyone who's having problems using WB as a midi insert (or whatever it's called in your DAW - i.e. NOT standalone) using WB 1.0.1 (latest)?

Jose7822
01-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Yeap!

gdugan2
01-28-2010, 02:10 PM
...I'd like to be able to play some words, with multiple notes in a <whatever the musical term is, it's late and I'm tired, sorry> sort of way...Can it be done? How?

According to the dictionary, a "melisma" is a group of notes sung to one syllable of text. And yes, it supposedly is possible with SC, although I've not done it personally (I've only had SC for about 2 weeks.) See page 77 of the SC manual, where it talks about the Events Tab.

peter5992
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes - you have to use separate notes for each syllable sung.

To use an example, for 'Gloria In Excelsis Deo', it would be Glo ho ho ho ho hoo ho ho ho ho hoooo ho ho ho ho hooo ri ah In Ex cel sis de oo. 24 notes. (I'm using English instead of votox in this example, it is recommended to use votox to get the best results).

Yes, it is pretty tedious, there is no real way around that, although you will get used to it. It helps to write out or type all the notes in a wordprocessor program and then do a word count just to be sure the amount of notes and syllables match.

MPDmike
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is that Oldfield is experiencing. I thought he was was having problems playing consecutive notes in one voice, but Jose7822 seemed to think it was more about singing chords over several voices. Perhaps Oldfield should pin down just what the problem is, because none of his posts clarify what he is trying to do, and I'm a little confused about what the problem really is.

businessmike
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
On a seemingly related issue... I'm running WordBuilder/SC in standalone mode, and it works well enough on Win XP Sp3 with 2GBram. (I use only one voice at a time and remove the 'tails' to help it along) However, 'sometime' when I enter VOTOX data, it will hang up (WordBuilder not responding) and I find TWO iterations of it running in Windows Task Manager. Anybody know about this?

Windows XP Sp3
3.20ghz
2GM Ram
lots of HD space
realtek audio card and using ASIO4ALL

CinStud222
03-31-2010, 01:32 PM
You should update to the latest WB version, which is 1.1.6 IIRC.

Where is that update exactly? I can't find it in the updates section. Only 1.01

Stefan Podell
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
1.0.1 is the latest version for the PLAY edition of Symphonic Choirs. 1.1.6 is for the NI-powered version.

jborum
04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Is multiple vowels really the only solution for a long melisma? Using the "Gloria In Excelsis Deo" example from above, which was written as Glo ho ho ho ho ho..., the O vowel would then be re-attacked 16 times before moving on to the rest of the phrase. Isn't there a better and more natural way to create melismas without re-attacking the vowel? This approach sounds very unnatural to me.

Casiquire
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM
No, there's a better way of doing it. Open up WordBuilder and click "Options". Go under the "Events" tab and there's a "Hold Syllable" option. Here you can pick out which midi controller will control syllables. So basically if you pick controller 2, when the corresponding controller on your keyboard or midi controller hits the designated velocity, the choir will hold the same syllable. They'll keep holding it over however many notes you'd like, and when you want them to move to the next word just bring the controller's velocity back down. It's hard to explain but if you give it a try it's really pretty simple.

Let me know if that answers your question!

Casiquire
04-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Is multiple vowels really the only solution for a long melisma? Using the "Gloria In Excelsis Deo" example from above, which was written as Glo ho ho ho ho ho..., the O vowel would then be re-attacked 16 times before moving on to the rest of the phrase. Isn't there a better and more natural way to create melismas without re-attacking the vowel? This approach sounds very unnatural to me.

I think it sounds better when legato is on. Also I just posted about a different method of executing a melisma, and I haven't played with this method too much but it doesn't sound too unnatural.

I'm very interested to see what other people have to say about creating a natural melisma. I'd also like it if slides and gliss were a little bit easier to create, so I'm open to suggestions!