PDA

View Full Version : Choral piece by Duruflé, my East-West debut

TGV
01-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi,

I'm new to East-West Quantum Leap, and after quite a few installation problems I finished my first piece. It's one of my favorite choral pieces, Ubi caritas et amor, by the French composer Maurice Duruflé for SATTBB choir. Wikipedia has more background information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubi_caritas). The text in Latin:
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.
Exultemus, et in ipso iucundemur.
Timeamus, et amemus Deum vivum.
Et ex corde diligamus nos sincero.
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Amen.

The English translation:
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Christ's love has gathered us into one.
Let us rejoice and be pleased in Him.
Let us fear, and let us love the living God.
And may we love each other with a sincere heart.
Where charity and love are, God is there.
Amen.

It wasn't easy to render: computer power, trying to get the syllables to connect (some still sound too disconnected), uneven volumes in the bass voice, and a very odd 11kHz beep in one of the tenor syllables. Anyway, I overcame them, rendered them separately and added an external reverb.

You can listen to it here (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1010136&songID=8693375).

I hope you enjoy it.

Halvor_H
01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Nice work! You have clearly worked quite a bit on this one. :)

Some thoughts; I would probably try to soften the transitions between the syllables a bit. Maybe some crossfading between the last and first letters in adjacent words/syllables could do the trick. Also, with the all reverb the sibilant sounds are getting a bit too prominent.

boulifb
01-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Very good work!
At last another good demo of the capabilities of EWQLSC.

Here is another demo I have done last november: O Fortuna (http://www.box.net/shared/5adhs8e8oy) from Carmina Burana by Carl Orff.

Cheers!

Fred.

TGV
01-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks for listening and commenting!

I would probably try to soften the transitions between the syllables a bit. Maybe some crossfading between the last and first letters in adjacent words/syllables could do the trick. Also, with the all reverb the sibilant sounds are getting a bit too prominent.
I did do a lot of tweaking on the syllables, but it proved to be quite hard. The singing is slow and at some moments all voices make the same transition. E.g., try to get deus ("de OS") in WordBuilder to sound naturally. It took me quite some time to get it acceptable. And the solution ("deyO OS") works with overlapping vowels, but not for plosive consonants (such as b and t). I've still got a lot to learn. About the reverb: yes, you're right. In the final mix, I only paid attention of relative volumes, and intelligibility, and not so silibance.

Very good work!
At last another good demo of the capabilities of EWQLSC.

Thanks Fred. There are too few demos for EWQLSC, that's true. I already heard your O Fortuna before. I also participate in that other forum (http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42) under the name of FLWrd (they don't allow three letter names there!). Bien étonnés de se trouver ensemble.

boulifb
01-30-2010, 03:09 AM
I didn't noticed it was you Theo. Sorry...

It's true that there are too few real demos of EWQLSC, demos based on real classical pieces.

We go to the same places. ;)

EarlRShay
01-31-2010, 07:21 AM
The Orff is well suited to the basic nature of WB/SC. The Durrufle is extremely demanding... not something that strikes one at first glance. A great choral legato is not easy to achieve, but worth the effort. Best wishes. Earl

Vincent Bergbahn
02-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeha that 11hz beep is wierd! I thought you added it. or some sort of watermark

rolifer
02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
THat beep is odd indeed!

Does it occur in just the one patch at a single note or is it more predominate?

The piece itself does show off the Choirs well.

Nice work.

Ron

TGV
02-08-2010, 10:38 AM
And I put a -24db EQ on that beep, mind you. It's really, really loud. I think it is specific to the syllable mor at a certain tenor note.

Thanks for listening!