PDA

View Full Version : Will Miss You

Thomas-Adam Habuda
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi,

My dearest friend is moving town. She is going to live in Rio de Janeiro so she'll be pretty far away. I composed a short piece for her as a farewell present. Any comment is appreciated.

www.mediamusicfactory.com/music/miki/will_miss_you.mp3

Thanks for listening,

Tom

TheRaider
02-01-2010, 03:37 PM
It is a reallly beautiful piece of music.

I am sure she really appreciated it.

Kira Jenna
02-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi Tom,

I am new here on the forum and your piece is the first one I may officially comment on.
This is a really beautiful piece, It absolutely breaths that what you are trying to say.
I think she will like it a lot, I know I do :)

Lots of love, Kira

tedreedy
02-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I concur: beautiful. I think the piano becomes distracting at the beginning, because the bass/cello is so gorgeous. maybe move the piano farther back in the mix, like you have it later in the piece?

your strings are wonderful. the piano sounds fake in comparison. perhaps add reverb and soften, or drive it back in the mix. the cymbal seems out of place, maybe soften that as well.

but again, strings are just great.

Strezov
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Indeed, very beautiful. I would dare to destroy that work by asking for a little bit of reverb. Great strings!!!

Sinfour
02-02-2010, 05:24 AM
I like this a lot. Really get the feeling of a goodbye..
This would also fit in a Final Fantasy game!

Jeff Hayat
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Very nice. Do not like the piano sound, but this is very well written and arranged. Sorry about your friend. :(

j.vaughn127
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I really liked this one, the strings are outstanding. Like the others sharing opinions, I think softer pianos in the beginning, would make it that much better. Later in the peice they seem to be at a good level. Even if you leave it as is, I think she will understand, that she will be missed!

Counterpoint
02-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Well done, I think this really captures that "going away" feeling you described.

My only criticism is that there could be more phrasing in the strings. They tend to play "constantly" for a long time with no rests or gaps in the sound (which will tire out your listeners). The next step for this song would be to make more use of the space between phrases. Even though breathing does not apply to string instruments, they can still be treated as if they need to take a breath on occasion. ;)

The piano sounds ok to me, maybe just needs to be a little bit lower velocity during the section when the solo cello first starts playing.

I like the overall mix... you've created a very intimate sound, feeling more like we're in a room listening to the musicians.

Cheers,

- Matt

chest
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
I know it's meant to sound sad, but, to me, it felt a bit too gloomy - too readily returning to the mood of the intro, after a moment's brightness, here and there. FWIW, to illustrate what I mean - ie I don't mean to suggest specific changes - I'd have liked that brighter mood that you create about 70% of the way through to have come nearer the beginning and lasted a lot longer (perhaps making the piece longer, overall?) - celebrating the good memories, perhaps? - instead of so soon and so suddenly sinking back as it does to the low-spirited ending --- for instance having that "70%-point" sound start in place of the more sombre version of the similar theme that comes about 40% into the piece. Well, that's just me, of course - I expect everyone else likes it just the way it is - I hope you don't mind my saying what I thought.

Raphael
02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
This is a really nice farewell! I would think over twice if I really must leave when I got such a parting gift...
Regards, Raphael

Thomas-Adam Habuda
02-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi,
Wow thatnks for all the replies!

TheRaider:
Thanks, yep she did, I got a few tears as a reward :)

Kira :
Wow thanks, I am honored! I am glad you liked the piece and welcome to the forum, you will love this place :)

tedreedy:
Thanks, the piano is Bosendorfer from QL Pianos, so it's definitely no the samples' fault :) I'll check on my performance.

Strezov::
Glad you liked it! Did you mean reverb for one scpecific instrument or the overall mix? Thanks!

Sinfour:
Thanks for your words! I would love to hear this in a FF game :)

Jeff Hayat:
It's not the piano it's my performance :) and yeah, I am sorry too :(

j.vaughn127:
Thanks for your comment! Yep I'll definitely check on the piano :) I sure hope she understood how much she'll be missed.

Matt:
Thanks for your kind words and helpfull suggestions. I see what you mean with the strings, I only had one night to compose the piece, but I am sure in time I'll revise it. Glad you liked the mix! That's always my weakest point.

chest:
Thanks for your comment and sure I don't mind at all that you were honest. As I said before I didn't have much time to compose this piece so I went with my instincts. I guess I felt like this :)

Raphael:
You are too nice! Thank you for your words, I really appreciate them! :)

Gedren
02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Dark melancholic beauty...

Tears that should not be shown...

Your friend is very lucky to be the inspiration for such beautiful piece!.. :)

Thank you for sharing it with us, Tom, it was a pleasure to listen to it.

Thomas-Adam Habuda
02-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi Maria,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I look up to you as a composer/performer, your oppinion always means a lot to me.
Thanks,
Tom

purplerhapsody
02-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Very nice piece. The cello and piano combination is really good but I do agree with previous comments about the piano possibly competing with the cello at the beginning. I would personally have used the 'soft pedal' on the piano at the beginning so that when the whole piece brightens at the point more strings come in the piano becomes brightere too when you remove your virtual foot from the virtual pedal.

Obviously all just my opinion.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Terry.