PDA

View Full Version : Action Cue...

n3wman918
02-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Here's a quick little(cliched) action cue I wrote for a small student film called 'Drops'. It was of course, inevitably "dropped" but it was still a good learning experience and if nothing else; it gave me another reason to write. let me know what you think.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8722110

*If the link doesn't work; let me know.

TheRaider
02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
at the 1.19 mark there is a melody which sounds really off in my opinion.

I don't think the piece was really to my taste overall.

Strezov
02-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Okay, here are some remarks from me:
1) check your samples and put some use of velocity and expression/mod envelopes. Now your violins and basses/celli (0:30 for instance) sound if they are played by a computer. I've always said that orchestrating for a live orchestra is easier than making it in a DAW with samples (cause you have to struggle for realism, hehe).
2) are your midi notes quantized?
3) harmonies, harmonies... especially the part when violins and brass are playing together. Sounds a bit atonal ;p
I agree for 1:19.
4) are you sure that your audio signal is not clipping? Cause I think that it goes above 0db in the end...

Best wishes,
George

TGV
02-05-2010, 02:04 AM
Strezov's right. The string notes repeat. If you've got them, use RR (round-robin) patches, martele, marcato, spiccato, whatever, but especially where the strings are exposed it's too noticeable. I didn't mind the discordance at 1:19, although it doesn't fit in with the rest. I also think harmonies are less important. It sound "action-y" enough to me with these guitar-style power chords...

n3wman918
02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
I noticed the 1:19 part as well it kinda 'dies' off for a whole note and then goes back to the first chord. I'll look into that later today when I get the chance.

As for the celli section after the persussion solo part, I used I believe 3 celli stac RR but the notes are repeating so much that the RR samples couldn't even save it haha. I'll see what I can do though. As for the harmony, I didn't want anything to be lyrical or have any REAL themes in there as i wanted it sound chaotic based on the scene it was for.

It does top out just over 0.db so I'll have to fix that as it does get a little distorted. When I heard the film was being dropped; any kind of touch ups to my cues went to the waist-side if you know what I mean.