PDA

View Full Version : "space battle" an adventure film composition

rpaillot
02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi everybody !!!

Here's a sci-fi aventure composition I made with my newly acquired East West PLAY orchestra !! Loved working with it. Being able to mix between the 3 mics position simply makes the mixing so much more fun ... !
Everything is EW except the winds runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUZ2Ec1L13s

Tell me what you think about it guys ,

RP

Miles Hankins
02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about. This is an awesome composition RP! Love the theme and the orchestration is terrific. Wonderfully developmental use of the motiffs throughout, really masterful writing. On a production level, I might say it feels a bit static compared to the brilliant writing within. It seems to stay at one level sonically, and I think that could be changed with programming and mix a bit. But this is really a terrific cue!

Sherief83
02-15-2010, 09:09 PM
great orchestrations! you sir are terrific indeed! the runs you used, what library are they?

Bart Klepka
02-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Great stuff rp! Love the brass work.

RyanS
02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Had a smile on my face for the full 2:20...

Great work :)

Ryan

TheRaider
02-16-2010, 12:51 AM
yeah i loved this piece.

Pretty cool :D

rpaillot
02-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Thank you to all for listening

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about. This is an awesome composition RP! Love the theme and the orchestration is terrific. Wonderfully developmental use of the motiffs throughout, really masterful writing. On a production level, I might say it feels a bit static compared to the brilliant writing within. It seems to stay at one level sonically, and I think that could be changed with programming and mix a bit. But this is really a terrific cue!

Hey Miles Thank you for your comments !
I understand what you mean when you say it feels a bit static. Probably the dynamics of the piece I compressed a little bit too much. I was worried about listeners having to turn up or down the volume during the intro especially. I wonder how you guys deal with this when it's an orchestral cue ?

great orchestrations! you sir are terrific indeed! the runs you used, what library are they?

Thx !
The runs come from Hollywoodwinds. They're simply awesome. You just need to learn how to orchestrate properly these runs ( if you plan to record with an orchestra ) so you don't feel guilty when you use them :D

Kejero
02-16-2010, 04:22 AM
Very nice! Those runs are pretty neat indeed! (Some string sustain parts a bit less maybe...)
The Williams and Arnold influence is undeniable :)

PhRey
02-16-2010, 04:41 AM
Bonjour Romain,
j'ai le même avis que sur un autre forum (plus francophone) à savoir que j'aime bcp ce morceau ! (une atmosphère correspondant plus à une aventure spaciale à la JW qu'à une certaine bataille aerienne dont je tairais le nom, amha)

L'occasion pour moi de te saluer, en terre (plus ou moins) étrangère.

Bonne continuation compatriote ;o)
Phil

rpaillot
02-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks for listening Phil ;)

Yes indeed that composition fits more to a space battle type movie than an air battle ;) Williams influence indeed as I love this composer. Also David Arnold.

rpaillot
03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
H there !

I uploaded a slightly revised version, better mix and better audio quality ( At least to my ears ;) )
because the youtube version really messed up the sound , too much compression.

Tell me what you think :

http://www.romainpaillot.com/RP%20-%20Star%20Battle.mp3

I'm also transcribing the cue into an orchestra conductor , i'll upload the PDF if you're interested.

RP

domzique
03-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Excellente composition et magnifique orchestration !

"Manque de dynamique mais tu as déjà répondu à propos de ce sujet plus tot."

JE viens d'écouter la nouvelle version mp3 que je préfère.
Tout au début au niveau des brass, il y a quelques choses qui me dérange, mais ce n'est pas très grave.

Si j'arrive à me libérer j'essaierai de te laisser un message plus précis.

Bonne continuation.

purplerhapsody
03-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Marvellous. Very good sound and very reminiscent of Williams. I do agree with the comment about the overall level being a bit static.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

EDIT - Comments above are for the youtube version...

Cheers,
Terry.

Raphael
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
This is an incredible good work. Very well done!:)
Do you know if the Hollywoodwinds library runs also in the free Kontak 4 player?

I'm also transcribing the cue into an orchestra conductor , i'll upload the PDF if you're interested.

RP

This would be great... Thanks!

- Raphael

TheRIGERE
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Well Done.

Vincent Bergbahn
03-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Excellent work.

rpaillot
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Thank you guys for listening, your comments are appreciable ! ;)

This is an incredible good work. Very well done!:)
Do you know if the Hollywoodwinds library runs also in the free Kontak 4 player?

This would be great... Thanks!

- Raphael

I dont think hollywoodwinds is a protected library, so it might be opened in the free kontakt 4 player.
But i'm not sure , maybe if you send a mail to mike from cinesamples he'll have a more precise answer than me.

Patrick2209
03-02-2010, 12:01 PM
H there !

RP

I'm interested!

TheRaider
03-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I am interested in the pdf too :D

mirrored
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Indeed well orchestrated and programmed. Reminds me a lot of soundtracks for Stargate films and TV series. :)

Cheers,
Michal

MPDmike
03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Plenty of life and orchestral action in there. I liked it a lot. :)

martian
03-03-2010, 02:53 PM
excellent. nice work. love those runs.