PDA

View Full Version : Grand Palace's Secret Labyrinth

constaneum
02-27-2010, 06:14 PM
"Grand Palace's Secret Labyrinth" is a remix version of one of my past works for Kingdom Hearts Fan Made Album which is called "Forbidden City". Samples used for this remix piece are East West's Goliath, Stormdrum2, RA and Native Instrument's Kore Player (most of the synths). Feel free to comment on the track. :eguitar-left:

"Grand Palace's Secret Labyrinth" - Remix of "Forbidden City"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiaURopFcOE (use HQ quality / 480p)

MPDmike
02-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I listened to your piece three times, and it is put together very competently. But for me there is not enough light and shade in this music. it sounds too much in one style and it is too overpowering. The first minute said everything I think. After that it was mostly repetition.

constaneum
02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
not enough light and shade? mind to explain more on that a bit? =) I have to agree that it's a bit too overpowering. LOL Actually, i tried to implement The Black Mages' style in this track a bit. Repetition eh. hmm.....Do you have any suggestion on improving this piece? Thanks. ^_^

MPDmike
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
OK constaneum, I have revived your thread, I will come back and tell you what I think, but I was hoping for some more contributions from others. You can see that there are not many people interested in your piece - that says a lot I think. :violin:

constaneum
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
well... Music isn't something created to satisfy everyone's taste. I have friends who love this piece and friends who dislike. It's all base on personal preferences and tastes. Anyway, my style is more towards Japanese game music. Sometimes, I like creating something like this which is some kind of a fussion style.

MPDmike
03-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Well constaneum, I can be a bit more precise. Up until around 1:25 to 1:30 I was loving your piece, and then I thought it was no longer unique or interesting after that. You know your own music better than I do. After about 1:30 you have lost that great opening feeling of Eastern sounds. It just becomes ordinary after that point.

I would suggest using more SD2 percussion after 1:30, and developing a much more creative Eastern sounding drama. You have elements of it there already, but for me it just sounds like you miss that full passion of how your piece should end. I think you already have this ending in your mind, but you were afraid to express it. The real ending would have been frightening to Western ears I believe.

constaneum
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the comments. For me, i tend to twist things a bit in my music. It's like twisting the plot of a movie. For example, a plot that most people were expecting like "this guy and this girl ends up living happily ever after" turns out to be either one of them died in a tragic accident, resulting in having the other one grieving and people will say " HEY !! That's not how it's suppose to end. it's suppose to be happy ending". Haha. Anyway, this peace's original mix is more Eastern sounding but with lousy quality instruments. The remix version is more towards fusion style which i got the inspiration from The Black Mages' remix version of Final Fantasy 8's "Maybe I'm a Lion". Maybe that kind of approach makes you felt you've lost the Eastern Sounds?

MPDmike
03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the comments. For me, i tend to twist things a bit in my music. It's like twisting the plot of a movie. For example, a plot that most people were expecting like "this guy and this girl ends up living happily ever after" turns out to be either one of them died in a tragic accident, resulting in having the other one grieving and people will say " HEY !! That's not how it's suppose to end. it's suppose to be happy ending". Haha. Anyway, this peace's original mix is more Eastern sounding but with lousy quality instruments. The remix version is more towards fusion style which i got the inspiration from The Black Mages' remix version of Final Fantasy 8's "Maybe I'm a Lion". Maybe that kind of approach makes you felt you've lost the Eastern Sounds?OK, I listened to the track "Maybe I'm a Lion" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmgZ4UaFqwA) by the Black Mages. It sounds much more driving and intense than the piece you have produced here. My advice would be not to try and copy what the Black Mages have done.

You have some good ideas in that opening minute, and I think you could create something that is your own by developing those ideas. You say that you like to put a "twist" on the story in the music, and I think you can do that in this piece you have written. After 1:30 move onto something different, and show us the twist in the music there. Instead you have given us a couple of minutes imitating Black Mages - I would rather hear what you have to say. Give us your vision of Eastern Rock.

constaneum
03-03-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm not copying anything from the Black Mages. It's my original melody. It's just that I'll like to learn their style. I'm a self taught musician and mimicing other people's style is a way for me to learn something. Anyway, my version of Eastern rock eh? Hmm....I have no time to rearrange that now due to heavy loads on my engineering projects. Will look into that matter when i'm free.

MPDmike
03-03-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm not copying anything from the Black Mages. It's my original melody.Sorry, I meant copying the style like you said. There is nothing wrong with imitating a sound to create a new piece, as an exercise, people do that here all the time.

Anyway, I think you need some more opinions, as I am just one person who has listened to your piece. :)

constaneum
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll like to hear all sorts of comments may it good or bad. It's a way for improvement.

KyleMck
03-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I liked the piece overall. There's some definite good, but there a few parts that bother me.

At 0:32, when the main percussion enters, I'm not hearing much bass. Perhaps use the bass strings to double either the melody or the bass line (if I'm missing it).

The guitar (from Goliath?) doesn't sound great, but it works when it plays the slower lines. However, it doesn't work at all during the faster melody (such as 2:31).

This is more an opinion, but I'd try and limit the portion at 1:24 to mostly ethnic instruments to add some more emphasis when the main guitar enters.

Now for the good: I really liked the more ethnic parts and the choir shouts were a nice addition. Also, the rhythm changes between rock and ethnic drums kept the piece interesting. While you definitely repeated the main melody, it was just different enough each time to keep the piece fresh and interesting.

constaneum
03-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Yeah, that Electric Guitar is from Goliath. I have to admit it sounds better with slower note transitions but awful during faster pace. By the way, how come there's no Legato for Goliath? It is because it's an overall GM style kind of virtual instrument? I really wish there's Legato button for Goliath.