PDA

View Full Version : The Star What? theme song: samples in space!

TGV
03-04-2010, 09:29 AM
The other day, I was reminded of the great movie Galaxy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Quest) Quest (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177789/) (if you haven't seen it, you should). The movie is (in a way) a clever analysis of the Star Trek phenomenon, and the TV show version of its main theme sounds really like the real thing. That inspired me to analyze the common elements in such title songs and put another one together using the same principles. Basically, it was fun, and educational...

It was rendered using EWQLSO Gold (play) and GPO4 (Garritan Personal Orchestra). The latter has 3 different solo instruments for all brass sections, which gives a lot of flexibility, but the sound is less ballsy; the combination sounds pretty good to me.

I'm not completely happy about the levels (it was not easy to find the balance between volume and intensity), and one of the modulations, but this is not for the concert hall. I am very happy about the ending, though.

You can here it at soundclick (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1010136&songID=8841566).

I'm very curious what you think!

Bryan2449
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
I could hear a lot of those elements that you are talking about. Interesting that certain phrases or note patterns or instruments or whatever can make us think of a certain genre.

Patrick2209
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I could hear a lot of those elements that you are talking about. Interesting that certain phrases or note patterns or instruments or whatever can make us think of a certain genre.

Indeed. I'd be interested to try to go back and find where some of those established conventions were first used. There is one that I always think about when discussing that. I've always referred to them as the "wonder chords." To evoke a sense of wonder, composers will often go back and forth between a major I and minor V chord. It's quite effective, and easily observed in MANY movies. I'd be curious to know how that got established...

TGV
03-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, the writer of the Galaxy Quest sound track used that very cleverly. I think the soft tremolo strings and the harp is a standard opening since the 60s. The use of brass is also typical, as is the Wagnerian string/woodwind ostinato. And there also needs to be an extra contrasting theme, and a few typical modulations.
There is one that I always think about when discussing that. I've always referred to them as the "wonder chords." To evoke a sense of wonder, composers will often go back and forth between a major I and minor V chord.
I thought it was a major scale (on the notes of the v, though), at least in my song. If you look at Wagner, you'll find much more complex harmonies and modulations, so I guess it must be older.

Thanks for listening *and* commenting!

Philip
03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Sweet!

A.Leung
03-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Ah - yes- there certainly IS a defined 'style' in some space music! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNz06w9tN8&feature=player_embedded#

tedreedy
03-09-2010, 09:28 AM
To evoke a sense of wonder, composers will often go back and forth between a major I and minor V chord. It's quite effective, and easily observed in MANY movies. I'd be curious to know how that got established...

I agree, but to me this is at the core of what we try to do as (film) composers. you learn what harmonic progressions create different kind of moods, and then you learn how different executions (rhythms, instruments) of those harmonies create even more varied colors and moods. for instance, this same progression is at the heart of the Aeris theme from FF VII, but it is less "wonder" and more love/longing/nostalgia.

but anyway, solid job TGV. the mix and execution isn't perfect, but I enjoyed the actual notes and I think musically you accomplished your goal :)

Patrick2209
03-10-2010, 07:43 PM
I agree, but to me this is at the core of what we try to do as (film) composers. you learn what harmonic progressions create different kind of moods, and then you learn how different executions (rhythms, instruments) of those harmonies create even more varied colors and moods. for instance, this same progression is at the heart of the Aeris theme from FF VII, but it is less "wonder" and more love/longing/nostalgia.
)

I agree. And great FFVII reference! :)