PDA

View Full Version : "Serenade For Strings"

larryalex
03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
This is my "Serenade For Strings" (http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/SerenadeForStringsEWQL.mp3).

All instruments are EWQL Silver edition. The violas play a major part.

Regards,

Phill
03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
The ensemble feel is definitely there, but I can hear alot of unintentional chopsticking happening.

I really love how well you blended the solo instrument with the rest of the ensemble.

All this piece needs is a bit more reverb, and since the double bass seems to play a vital role as well, I suggest expressing the double bass a bit more. Also, I might add to experiment with softer attacks on the harmonic lines. Perhaps for the sharp attacks, make a seperate marcato track and blend that in with the rest of the ensemble.

After spending some time on your website, I feel the implication that you do not use a midi keyboard for your compositions. Learning the keyboard and recording with one will double, if not triple, how fast it will take to write compositions, as well as the amount of velocity and expression in the instruments themselves.

JonathanS
03-16-2010, 12:11 AM
I like this a lot, but agree a little more reverb would really make it awesome and a midi keyboard as stated above would give it a more expressive feel, you can barely tell but the piece has a bit of the robot static going on from using a piano roll, but really a well done piece.

larryalex
03-16-2010, 04:05 AM
The ensemble feel is definitely there, but I can hear alot of unintentional chopsticking happening.

I really love how well you blended the solo instrument with the rest of the ensemble.

All this piece needs is a bit more reverb, and since the double bass seems to play a vital role as well, I suggest expressing the double bass a bit more. Also, I might add to experiment with softer attacks on the harmonic lines. Perhaps for the sharp attacks, make a seperate marcato track and blend that in with the rest of the ensemble.

After spending some time on your website, I feel the implication that you do not use a midi keyboard for your compositions. Learning the keyboard and recording with one will double, if not triple, how fast it will take to write compositions, as well as the amount of velocity and expression in the instruments themselves.

Thanks for listening, young man.

Regards,

larryalex
03-16-2010, 04:07 AM
I like this a lot, but agree a little more reverb would really make it awesome and a midi keyboard as stated above would give it a more expressive feel, you can barely tell but the piece has a bit of the robot static going on from using a piano roll, but really a well done piece.

I'm not a proponent of lots of reverb.

Thank you for having a listen.

Regards,

Phill
03-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Well, maybe not tons of reverb. Only on the melodic strings.

larryalex
03-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Well, maybe not tons of reverb. Only on the melodic strings.

I understand.