PDA

View Full Version : "Whole Lotta Horns"

larryalex
03-21-2010, 07:43 AM
This is my new work for "French" horn ensemble.

Here is "Whole Lotta Horns" (http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/WholeLottaHorns.mp3). All instruments are EWQL Silver edition.

Regards,

tedreedy
03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
this is the first horn piece I have heard from you! structurally, do you write differently for all horns vs piano/violin? if so, how? -- what are your goals with each?

I might suggest using different articulations to breathe a little more life into the piece. even Silver provides some alternate long/short expressions... but I do realize that you may just primarily be using the samples to sound out your written notes.

Jeff Hayat
03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
You give it all you got, weighing in at 19 stone!

Oh, sorry! :o

This is nice. I would add some reverb, and add some dynamics as well. And I do agree that the horns need to breathe a bit. Is this supposed to be standalone? I am not sure if it works that way; it seems like it's the horn part of a bigger cue.

larryalex
03-21-2010, 01:06 PM
this is the first horn piece I have heard from you! structurally, do you write differently for all horns vs piano/violin? if so, how? -- what are your goals with each?

I might suggest using different articulations to breathe a little more life into the piece. even Silver provides some alternate long/short expressions... but I do realize that you may just primarily be using the samples to sound out your written notes.

I have no "goals" really. I just enjoy composing.

Since I just purchased EWQL a few weeks ago, I am actually still trying to learn how to use the Play module.

Regards,

larryalex
03-21-2010, 01:10 PM
You give it all you got, weighing in at 19 stone!

Oh, sorry! :o

This is nice. I would add some reverb, and add some dynamics as well. And I do agree that the horns need to breathe a bit. Is this supposed to be standalone? I am not sure if it works that way; it seems like it's the horn part of a bigger cue.

I don't know what your first sentence means. Speak American English. :)

It has enough reverb for my own taste and yes, it could use some variances in dynamics.

You need to not always think in terms of "movie music" and huge orchestras. In this case, think ensemble. ;) :)

Thanks for listening and responding.

Regards,

Jeff Hayat
03-21-2010, 01:11 PM
You need to not always think in terms of "movie music" and huge orchestras.

Who said I was thinking in terms of "movie music" and huge orchestras? I was thinking in terms of music.

Cheers.

fongi
03-21-2010, 02:18 PM
I bet the Salvation Army would dig this ! :)

TheRaider
03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
uhhh in a lot of places the salvation army plays horn sections a certain points of the year for charity. I don't see how it is insulting.

Personally I think you should try to spend some time polishing pieces instead of just moving on. It would give you a much better result IMO.

larryalex
03-21-2010, 03:56 PM
uhhh in a lot of places the salvation army plays horn sections a certain points of the year for charity. I don't see how it is insulting.

I really don't believe that charity was in the mind of the poster. :) If it was, then I owe him an apology...otherwise my message stands as is.

Regards,

TheRaider
03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Even if it was was true music is subjective. If you can't take people telling you that music is bad then you shouldn't be sharing cause it doesn't matter how good it is someone will think it is bad (unless you sign a pact with the devil and write the next Stairway to Heaven, but then some relgious people might not like it soooooo you can't win).

Personally I think he didn't mean it that way anyway because I listened to it and it reminded me a bit of salvation army brass bands busking for charity.