PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this motif?

boulifb
03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi there,

I'm currently trying to build a tango-like piece for accordion and orchestra.

Here (http://www.4shared.com/file/250170533/7f6049d5/TangoB.html) is the main motif.

The motif is not definitive of course and it will evolve.

Can you tell me what you think about it and if I should go further or if I should abort...

Does it sound "tango-like" or not? If not, how does it sounds?

I have this type of music in my head I don't know why. So I write the score..

Cheers,

Fred.

Jeff Hayat
03-26-2010, 02:38 PM
"and if I should go further or if I should abort"

ABORT!!! ABORT MISSION!!!!

Ha - j/k :)

Sounds good as a starter - you should definitely keep going. Now, if you would have said this was a finished peice, I woulda slapped you!

Cheers.

tedreedy
03-26-2010, 02:51 PM
hi Fred,

it is an interesting motif, and like Jeff said I believe it has potential.

however I have listened to it 3 times and something feels off. I think it is the rhythm, the background/second accordion contradicts the main accordion melody and it's hard for my brain to pick out the meter and really feel a groove. sometimes this is a desired effect, but in this case for me it prevents me from inherently liking it. do you happen to know the meter/time signature?

boulifb
03-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for your comments.

Of course, it's only a motif... The orchestration is in my head and moves constantly.

Yes, the tempo is voluntarily broken. Maybe it's not the proper way to play tango... I don't know. I write what my head says...

I juste picked up the "Bandoneon" from Gypsy. I changed nothing to the patch. I just installed Gypsy, so I don't know it yet. I use a multi instruments with 2 tracks. 1 for the left hand, 1 for the right hand.

I have this rhythm and melody in my head for a while.

If you have any tricks let me know...

I'll continue the writing of the piece this week end...

Fred.

chest
03-27-2010, 02:16 AM
IMHO, the syncopated rhythm (eg where the long notes anticipate the beat) is making it hard to relate the melody to the pulse, in the demo as it currently is. Perhaps you could add something - eg bass on the beat, or drums - to make the relationship with the pulse easier to hear, and post again?

TGV
03-27-2010, 02:51 AM
I agree, it is a very good start, with plenty of opportunities, but it seems a bit broken, as if there is an extra 1/8th somewhere around 0:13, and that's very difficult to judge without a context. I'm interested to see how you develop this!

boulifb
03-27-2010, 03:43 AM
Here is the way I handle the tempo.
Maybe it is handled the wrong way. I don't know.
Check the capture of my Logic project and let me know.

I use 8 4/4 measures.

Fred.

tedreedy
03-27-2010, 06:35 AM
OK, maybe I don't know anything about tango, but why is the rhythm going up and down all over the place instead of just being steady? I mean, when I listen to the piece I more or less hear a constant tempo, I would not have imagined it to be sequenced like that, very interesting nonetheless that you were able to produce something coherent there.

I think possibly what you are looking for is a different time signature, with a more constant tempo. that's how it is often times for me, when (as you say) "I write what my head says" ... when I really hash it out, I'll discover that it's not a dramatic change in tempo that defines the sound I want, but an extra beat here or there.. so I'll end up with a 4/4 section with a 7/4 or 9/8 measure thrown in, but it makes sense and is a constant tempo.

TGV
03-27-2010, 06:42 AM
I wonder how it would sound with less dramatic jumps in tempo, or indeed with a "straight" 9/8, since it seems you use the slowing down to extend each bar. It would also explain why it sounds a bit weird just before 7, since the tempo drop is about twice as long there as it is in the other bars. Choices, choices, choices...

boulifb
03-27-2010, 10:57 AM
To me, I have the feeling that the tempo need to be stopped and continue... But maybe I'm wrong. I could see that tango is usually in 4/4.

rolifer
03-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Fred

I have now listened to this a number of times and have to agree that the tempo is off a bit. Since I am such an expert on Tangos, (they used to be played by Eskimos before a seal hunt and ninjas listened to them and then committted seppuko before having their heads chopped off at the peak of the dance), which all proves I am an expert on Tangos. :eek:

Seriously though, I listened to it before I read your post, and the first thing that popped into my head was "I know this piece". But then my guess is that all tangos would sound the same to me.

I'd say keep at it and see where it goes.

Ron