PDA

View Full Version : The Elvish Legacy

Adamich
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Fun little Elfman-inspired piece I wrote. Let me know what you think!
http://www.box.net/shared/dygpeq6s0m

rolifer
04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
One of my favorite composers alive today is Elfman. He has a way to keep things interesting without being totally unexpected, so I think it is always wise to be influenced by a strong composer like him. In fact, my latest was also inspired by his music from The Wolfman. The movie was not all that great, but the music was fantastic.

The only crit I would give this one is that there is very little going on in the right ear. The piece is very left handed and is ready to go to another level and then it ends.

But what is there is nice.

Ron

tedreedy
04-08-2010, 04:33 PM
hey adam, intriguing opening.. nice glock. I find heavy use of the glock on every note a bit much sometimes, see if you can carry the notes with a different instrument and accent with the glock

the quick strings sound very synthy, try using round robin patches for variation on the repeated notes and expression to increase the dynamics

nice harp gliss :)

the main flute theme needs a little work, a little more soul. it repeats the Bb too much for me.

can you vary the string ostinato so it's not the same from the beginning to the end?

what horn instrument is that at the end? it sounds quite weak, like it could use a friend (or another supporting horn)

not a bad effort! definitely something you can work with.

KyleMck
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I liked the variety of instruments, and the mood was very Elfman-esque. However, the french horn passage could have gone on for a bit longer, and it ended somewhat abruptly. Perhaps a cymbal and gong could help. Also, the end feels a bit abrupt, although it's more of a surprise then anything else. Perhaps a slight decrease in volume could tell listeners that the piece is about to end. I agree with Rolf that the piece could have progressed even further, but it still works as is.