PDA

View Full Version : Dervish

purplerhapsody
04-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi,

Despite buying the CCC recently I still use SO Gold a huge amount and here's a piece that just uses SO Gold.

It's a little different from my normal style (although not wildly so) and is just over 2 minutes long.

It starts slow with solo 'cello and then builds and changes as it goes.

The link is: http://soundcloud.com/purplerhapsody/dervish

All comments welcome.

It's marked on Soundcloud as a work in progress - that's mainly because I think I need to sort the mix out at the end... it gets a bit muddy.

Cheers,
Terry.

tedreedy
04-11-2010, 05:12 PM
hey terry,

melody is good! ... I think you can work on the solo articulations/expression at the beginning as the notes sound quite pieced together, and it sounds like you were going for legato... when the other strings come in it sounds notably better.

at 0:37 there's a significant increase in reverb.. it's a little much for me, although I guess I wouldn't have noticed it as much if it was present since the beginning. but as the piece continues it definitely sounds muddy, and I think it's just because the reverb is set too high.

the main melody is catchy... in your repetition, I would like to see you strive for a little variation, rather than moving on to a completely new variant section and repeating *that*.

I think there's potential here... just need to develop and clean up a bit! :)

rolifer
04-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Terry

First off, what is CCC?

I like the music in this a lot. I think it shows a lot of talent musically but I have a lot of problems with the mix.

As Ted said above, it has a ton of reverb that I can also live with, but it makes it sound very unreal. Which is fine because it does have an unique sound. What I can't get around though, is that it all comes out in the left ear. I don't understand why you panned everything so far left.

I know that there is sound coming out of the right side because I can hear it when I take away the left side of my headphones. But when I don't take that side off, all I hear is the left side.

Great music, just needs some mixing work.

Ron

purplerhapsody
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for your comments.

It's interesting what you say about the reverb because it's the EW Hollywood Hall 1 (or something like that), turned down quite significantly from it's default level and left constant throughout. I set it as the 'Master' for all instruments. I guess I'll adjust it manually for each articulation and possibly automate it (is that possible in PLAY?).

I was quite careful in the mix to make sure that the output in Sonar was showing a decent LR balance so I'm surprised at it all coming out to one side - I'll have a look at that later today.

Glad you both like the music - that's over half the battle won already :)

Oh, and Ron - CCC is the Complete Composers Collection, I've seen that abbr. used round the forums and was feeling a bit lazy in my typing last night ;)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

Cheers,
Terry.

idragosani
04-12-2010, 07:11 AM
This is off to a great start! Agree with the other guys, the reverb is a bit much, but I didn't have any issue with the L/R (I listened on headphones also). I'd like to hear some more variety within each section, maybe more articulations on the strings so everything doesn't sound staccato/detache.