PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Latitudes: High Tide

tedreedy
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
hello everyone

so I was working on something for a buddy of mine when his project fell through... that same day I saw this book I received over the holidays sitting on my counter!... maybe some of you have read it :

(by Michael Crichton)

anyway, in a weird way I had an idea so as not to waste the project... it ended up going into a complete different direction...

I wish I could share it all at once but I keep crashing when I try to bounce the whole thing so I'm going to keep working on the other sections (and hopefully finish them sometime)... here's part 1, I hope you enjoy! :)

http://tedreedy.com/demo/Pirate_Latitudes-High_Tide.mp3

ChemicalReaper
04-11-2010, 07:05 PM
I hear a lot of Zimmer influence in the brass, cello/contrabass, and percussion throughout the piece. I think Pirates of the Caribbean has unfortunately become the point of comparison for scoring pirate themes... :(

Also I hear some Cris Velasco in your use of choirs (a la Minotaur Boss Battle from "God of War").

I liked the piece overall; towards the end, though, I felt that the strings were a little erratic and were going all over the place (which probably would have made sense when paired with the film, but standalone it feels a little... uninspired?).

tedreedy
04-11-2010, 07:13 PM
hmm maybe there is some influence although I have not seen the films (I have heard the 2nd film's score though)...

yes what is up with those strings? haha, I was imagining a crazy battle or hijacking or mutiny or whatever and it just started jumping around, so it makes sense to me that they are spastic but I see what you are saying.

rolifer
04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Ted

I used to read a lot of Michael Crichton. I read Jurassic Park when it first came out and loved it. Nowadays, all I have time to read is books on Education which hopefully will make me a better teacher.

I have been listening to a lot of soundtracks lately and one thing I have noticed is that if you listen to one Zimmerman score, you have basically heard them all. He uses the same ostinatos over and over in all of his movies, so getting compared to him sort of limits you as a composer.

That's not to say that he isn't a good composer, just predictable and you have shown here (at least in your strings) that you are not predictable. I like the usage of the Strings throughout the entire piece. Just one last observation, it might help a little if you added a touch more reverb to the choir, at least the lower voices. They sound a bit close and stuffy.

Great piece!!

Ron

ChemicalReaper
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
...if you listen to one Zimmerman score, you have basically heard them all. He uses the same ostinatos over and over in all of his movies, so getting compared to him sort of limits you as a composer.

I agree, but I also -- to some degree -- agree with the following comment. Although I'm not a fan of Zimmer, I admit he does know what he's doing -- he's made an incredibly successful career out of monotonous scores that make his next one redundant!

As I said before, I love the piece. And, in the context of a crazy, mutinous battle, those strings work fine -- standalone, they just take a little adjusting to (they're very unexpected -- now that I've listened to the piece a second time though, I can appreciate the actual underlying melody, although it's very subtle and disguised).

purplerhapsody
04-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Hi Ted,

I like this one. I wouldn't like to be the string players towards the end, however I have to disagree with the previous comments about the strings towards the end. I think they fit really well into the piece. To my mind it seems to become more and more agitated from start to finish to the point where the spastic strings actually sound like the natural development.

Good job.

Cheers,
Terry.

Phill
04-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Everything was great except for the strings. I don't like to use the spiccato dynamic anymore because the guys who recorded the samples didn't record the full attack so it sounds very digital. I use the Marc x6 UDs mostly.

tedreedy
04-12-2010, 03:35 AM
And, in the context of a crazy, mutinous battle, those strings work fine -- standalone, they just take a little adjusting to (they're very unexpected -- now that I've listened to the piece a second time though, I can appreciate the actual underlying melody, although it's very subtle and disguised).

your reaction is quite valid and understandable! :) ... thanks for listening again.

I don't like to use the spiccato dynamic anymore because the guys who recorded the samples didn't record the full attack so it sounds very digital. I use the Marc x6 UDs mostly.

I feel the same way about the spicatto strings Phil! but something about the marc and mart didn't work either (believe me I auditioned them all) and so I settled for this sound in the end. perhaps more work could be done in the layering...

Just one last observation, it might help a little if you added a touch more reverb to the choir, at least the lower voices. They sound a bit close and stuffy.

interesting, I hear it now that you mention it. one more reverb might put me over the edge... :) thanks for listening

I like this one. I wouldn't like to be the string players towards the end, however I have to disagree with the previous comments about the strings towards the end. I think they fit really well into the piece. To my mind it seems to become more and more agitated from start to finish to the point where the spastic strings actually sound like the natural development.

I am glad you liked it... thanks for listening Terry.

Sinfour
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I like this :) and i dont care if its "Zimmer"'ish!

keep up the good work!

johncarter
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Ted

I used to read a lot of Michael Crichton. I read Jurassic Park when it first came out and loved it. Nowadays, all I have time to read is books on Education which hopefully will make me a better teacher.

I have been listening to a lot of soundtracks lately and one thing I have noticed is that if you listen to one Zimmerman score, you have basically heard them all. He uses the same ostinatos over and over in all of his movies, so getting compared to him sort of limits you as a composer.

Ron

Well , you're wrong.
Ok you listened to Pirates Of the Caribbean, Gladiator , King Arthur and Batman Begins so you think you know Zimmer . But It's like saying John Williams can only write big fanfare score ( because of Star Wars / Indy and Super man )

A.Leung
04-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Yes sir JC is correct. There is an entire 'world' to Hans Zimmers scoring styles. You would need to listen to much more to be more informed. :)

ChemicalReaper
04-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Yes sir JC is correct. There is an entire 'world' to Hans Zimmers scoring styles.
I think what you mean is that there is an entire world to the scoring styles Hans Zimmer's ghost writers. Zimmer himself is pretty talented when it comes to the business, recording, and sound design aspects of music -- actual composition is definitely not one of his strong points.

Strezov
04-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Very nice, though I think that in my humble opinion it lacks emotion and energy. I hope that we could hear that performed live ;)

halftone
04-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Hi Ted,

It sounded quite good to me and easy to picture pirate action with lots of swashbuckle.

Regards John

tedreedy
04-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Very nice, though I think that in my humble opinion it lacks emotion and energy. I hope that we could hear that performed live ;)

yo dude! what's up? interesting commentary. this is actually the first piece that I put a lot of work into expression (thru cc11) and to me it sounds much better.... however, I think alot got lost through compression... as just now I took the compression off to test and heard a big difference. also, this piece intentionally has less pronounced harmonic changes as the segments that will follow. stay tuned for those and at that time I will re-post this track as well so you can hopefully hear the difference ;) thanks for listening

It sounded quite good to me and easy to picture pirate action with lots of swashbuckle.

thanks for listening John :)

as to the zimmer conversation... I did not intend to emulate his style, but there may be some influence.
it will be interesting to hear your reactions to the other parts to this piece, as they are a bit different. thank you all!

johncarter
04-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I think what you mean is that there is an entire world to the scoring styles Hans Zimmer's ghost writers. Zimmer himself is pretty talented when it comes to the business, recording, and sound design aspects of music -- actual composition is definitely not one of his strong points.

Dont want to make another Zimmer debat... But if your zimmer's "ghostwriters" were so talented in composition ( unlike this hack called HZ ) they would compose great and memorable soundtracks when HZ isnt involved. Unfortunately, it's not the case.

martian
04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
hi ted,

this is great! i especially love the section at 1.25, can you tell me what you are using for the arpeggiated melody?

im also cool with the end string stabs. i like the big booms, and there sounds like some 'drums of war' in there?

mix wise, the intro strings sound a bit odd in the highs to me, like they are missing some higher freqs?

great work!
will.

tedreedy
04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
hi ted,

this is great! i especially love the section at 1.25, can you tell me what you are using for the arpeggiated melody?

im also cool with the end string stabs. i like the big booms, and there sounds like some 'drums of war' in there?

mix wise, the intro strings sound a bit odd in the highs to me, like they are missing some higher freqs?

great work!
will.

hey will ! you have quite a good ear my friend! some astute observations...

I am assuming you are talking about the strings (rather than the flute that comes right before it).. it's actually a solo violin marc and a solo viola mart, backed by a 10 VA marc providing some depth.

the intro strings are supposed to be low and building, but I did in fact mess up an EQ on one of the short cello patches--nice find! I also didn't take much time with the compression and I think something was lost here. if I ever get to the second part of this, I will repost with these issues fixed and hopefully it will sound better!

thanks for listening! oh and PS those are indeed drums of war...

KyleMck
04-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Very nice piece. I like the overall feel, although I agree with Strezov to a certain extent. I don't think the piece lacked emotion and energy so much as there was quite a bit of untapped potential. For example, a crescendo from 1:08-1:15 could help add some energy. In addition the following drop in volume would become more interesting with the additional contrast. You mentioned that the compression seemed to be limiting volume variation, so I'm looking forward to hearing a less compressed version.

tedreedy
04-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Very nice piece. I like the overall feel, although I agree with Strezov to a certain extent. I don't think the piece lacked emotion and energy so much as there was quite a bit of untapped potential. For example, a crescendo from 1:08-1:15 could help add some energy. In addition the following drop in volume would become more interesting with the additional contrast. You mentioned that the compression seemed to be limiting volume variation, so I'm looking forward to hearing a less compressed version.

hey Kyle! thanks for the comments ;-)

you know, as I said I really put more work than usual into expression into this piece... I thought I hit most of the right dynamics but with this bounce I hear exactly what you're saying... lesson learned!... can't wait for you guys to hear it as intended

Phill
04-18-2010, 12:05 PM

+1,000

smoothielova
05-01-2010, 11:20 PM
YAAAAR! That was epic! I love your brass sound in this. The strings need a bit of Ooomph, but it still is a fun track. Very well orchestrated.

Carlos (R)
08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Hello Ted, I like the sound dimension of this production. The violin soloists really given much to the composition. It is a great epic theme, with strength and quality.

Good management of the VST, very good.

tedreedy
08-30-2010, 04:02 AM
oh boy, I never thought I would see this again :)

@ Carlos
I appreciate you listening and your feedback. I'm wondering which part you're referring to on the violin soloist, as there's not really one that I can recall in this piece (although there is one in the other Pirates track) -- but anyway, I am glad you enjoyed!

@ smoothie
agreed on the strings, I had pushed them back in the mix to let the brass and drums drive. I do like the brass too, I actually think it's a tad heavy on the treble side, it could be rounder and deeper. anyway, thanks for your comments! (apologies, I'm only a few months late)

Michael M
08-30-2010, 05:56 AM
Hey Ted, POST MORE STUFF! I always love listening to your stuff, but you never post anything. :p

audica2
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
I really enjoyed it!!! I wish I had half of your talent.

tedreedy
08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
@ audica2
thank you sir for listening and for the kind words.

@ Michael
ha ha. OK, I might have something I could use some ears on, I'll try to post it sometime soon.