PDA

View Full Version : Some Symphonic Choir Questions...

Toxikator
05-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Hi all. I'm new, but have been admiring and gauging EWQL Products for along time. I've decided that the first one I intend to buy will be the choirs, since I can get by on cheesy soundfonts for the time being but there is nothing which evne comes close to the insanity of EWQLSC.

My questions regard mostly functionality:

I know whispers can be done, can spoken word be as well? Basically, if I were to make like a chanting or crowd noise, could it be done?

Second, do the choirs use the same QLegato technology as RA and the SOPro upgrades?

Third, can suspensions be done? To clarify, can I I make the choir sing a syllabel, and then have one voice drop down and sing the same syllable, or will the choirs move on to the next syllable?

4th, I think it's great that you decided to add Boy's choirs (those are harder to find than full patches) but I also noticed that the choir is split in 4. Is there a way to get the "Full" choir in one patch, or should I just open SC 4 times and run each melodic line (bass, tenor, alto , soprano) through its respective voice?

5th, will there be weird vocal articulations? Not so much growls or things like that (Though that would be cool, let me tell you) but I mean like counter-tenor or falsetto, things like that?

And finally, (and this goes to everyone on the forums who makes the demos) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post some samples of the solo voices. for me, one of the selling points is the fact that SC can sing solo (even though it's operatic solo, not soul-solo like vocaloid) and I would REALLY like to see how it works. I'm thinking like Jack-Wall style solo boys vocals in between huge roaring choir parts. Or maybe like a 4-part barbershop thing (though I know that barbershop involves slided notes and not so much the hugeness of a choir). I only mention it because there are precious few examples of what the SOLO instruments can do in EWQL products (though I know that when Qlegato is released with pro there will be some there) and I am afraid that all the choir demos will be huge hollywood style (which is good) without any focus on the other features.

Thanks for reading, all, and Doug and Nick and others for making such kickass products.

~tox

janila
05-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Very good questions. I'm also waiting for answers to these.

Did I notice correctly that the (not applicable to solo vocalists) text appeared as an addition to the original text in the EWQLSC product page (http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-165)? I mean were the solos originally going to be able to sing words? Is there a chance of an update which would include the feature?

Toxikator
05-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Oh my god, you're right. I didn't even see that.

I suppose in a way it makes perfect sense; getting a choir to sing words does not have to be as totally precise as getting a single voice to...

still, that's very disappointing to me. I was hoping for operatic solo singers... well, the pro upgrades for the SO did cover a lot of features (such as improved solo instruments) so maybe we can hope for the same with SC when the technology becomes more manageable for such a feat. And that's not to say that Nick and Doug don't already have something like that planned for SC that got lost in the website-update.

still...

Nick Phoenix
05-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi all. I'm new, but have been admiring and gauging EWQL Products for along time. I've decided that the first one I intend to buy will be the choirs, since I can get by on cheesy soundfonts for the time being but there is nothing which evne comes close to the insanity of EWQLSC.

My questions regard mostly functionality:

I know whispers can be done, can spoken word be as well? Basically, if I were to make like a chanting or crowd noise, could it be done?

Pretty much, but it won't sound like 2000 people.

Second, do the choirs use the same QLegato technology as RA and the SOPro upgrades?

No, RA was the testing ground for the orchestra's QLegato, which is sounding mighty fine, by the way. The choir uses very quick and subtle slides to create legato.

Third, can suspensions be done? To clarify, can I I make the choir sing a syllabel, and then have one voice drop down and sing the same syllable, or will the choirs move on to the next syllable?

Yes, easily in Wordbuilder.

4th, I think it's great that you decided to add Boy's choirs (those are harder to find than full patches) but I also noticed that the choir is split in 4. Is there a way to get the "Full" choir in one patch, or should I just open SC 4 times and run each melodic line (bass, tenor, alto , soprano) through its respective voice?

We have many options for this.

5th, will there be weird vocal articulations? Not so much growls or things like that (Though that would be cool, let me tell you) but I mean like counter-tenor or falsetto, things like that?

There are lots of effects, but maybe not everything you are looking for.

And finally, (and this goes to everyone on the forums who makes the demos) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post some samples of the solo voices. for me, one of the selling points is the fact that SC can sing solo (even though it's operatic solo, not soul-solo like vocaloid) and I would REALLY like to see how it works. I'm thinking like Jack-Wall style solo boys vocals in between huge roaring choir parts. Or maybe like a 4-part barbershop thing (though I know that barbershop involves slided notes and not so much the hugeness of a choir). I only mention it because there are precious few examples of what the SOLO instruments can do in EWQL products (though I know that when Qlegato is released with pro there will be some there) and I am afraid that all the choir demos will be huge hollywood style (which is good) without any focus on the other features.

The soloists do not work in Wordbuilder. They have straight and expressive vowels. The boy also has some latin syllables.

Thanks for reading, all, and Doug and Nick and others for making such kickass products.

~tox

Thanks alot- Nick

AndyFinkenstadt
06-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Is it possible (desired) to use CC11 (Expression) for volume when you don't want to engage forte-vibrato samples?

Some choral music requires no vibrato at all, but has a large dynamic range from pp to ff.

I've already gotten out of the habit of using CC7 (Volume).

LHall
06-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes, CC11 works great for controlling the volume without affecting the vibrato.

AndyFinkenstadt
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Is it technically feasible to install the NKI files for just one choir section, to learn how to use the WordBuilder features on a place where I don't quite have enough hard disk space to install the choir samples in toto?

If it matters, this same sketching computer has K2 installed.

chocothrax
06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
askjdhaksjdhalsjdhlaskdjlaskdas

MKS
06-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Hard dick space?

Dude, that's a little personal.

AndyFinkenstadt
06-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Okay, I edited the post. Sorry.

chocothrax
06-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey he posted it first. I'll edit mine too. :)