PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Strings users - ESSENTIAL READING!

Thomas_J
06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Hollywood Strings is a very deep and complex (yet easy to use) library and although I know it is boring, the manual offers much important information. We realize that many of our users are busy professionals with no time to read, so here are pointers that will help some of you manualfobic people out there :)

1) Legato patches respond to VELOCITY. Some people are reporting that they find the legato somewhat slow. In HS, velocity controls the speed of your legato intervals, meaning the harder you play your legato phrases, the faster the transition samples will respond. For really expressive and slow legato performances, a velocity of around 51-60 will yield great results. For faster work, program your string parts to velocity 110-127.

2) The bow change + slur combination patches use tempo detection to switch between bow change and slur legato. The faster you play, the shorter the intervals. Some people find this behavior more intuitive than our velocity control. A velocity of 127 will override the tempo detection and play the fastest slurred note possible.

3) Always reset your controllers (CC1 and CC11) after loading a legato patch, before playing.

4) This is a big one! If you are running PLAY/HS within a sequencer host, you must run multiple instances of PLAY to take advantage of your multicore CPU. This means that you will get much better performance if you spread your template across multiple instances of PLAY. I suggest having a separate instance for all your legato patches. PLAY in standalone takes advantage of all your cores by default. This is the way all plug-ins work because the sequencer is taking control over core distribution, and will assign each new plug-in instance by cycling through your cores.

5) If your system isn't quite powerful enough to run the biggest legato patches, you can still load them, and turn off the legato script with the "others" button (which by the way will not switch off legato, only disable the velocity and tempo detection speed control).

6) CC22 is an important controller in HS and allows you to bypass the monophonic legato behavior and actually play polyphonic legato.

That's it for now. If you have time you will find a lot of useful information in the manual.

All the best,
Thomas

Denny S.
06-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Gotta admit that the legato velocity thing was new to me. Thanks for this great information summary! :)

peter5992
06-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank you Thomas - the manual is excellent (as always, thank you John Philpit) as is the video tutorial by Nick. I am not adverse to working my way through manuals (my personal problem is more trying to digest and apply all of the info that is in there).

Everyone, I can second to "RTFM". ;)

Jose7822
06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
NOOB ALERT!!! :-P

How do you reset your controllers? What happens if you don't reset them?

Does this only apply to HS, or is this the same for other EWQL libraries?

Thanks in advance! :-)

CPLUSE
06-05-2010, 10:39 PM
NOOB ALERT!!! :-P

How do you reset your controllers? What happens if you don't reset them?

Does this only apply to HS, or is this the same for other EWQL libraries?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Control Change # 1 Modulation
Control Change # 11 Express

Hmm have you ever seen a piano with foot pedals, that can be consider a CC-1(midi world).
Control Change # 11 Express just controls the volume.
I know someone here can explain it better then I can, Iím still a rookie.
But to reset, you would have to reset on controller (keyboard or midi device), should be in manual.

I PM a Implementation Chart to help.

Dick the Flick
06-06-2010, 01:49 AM
Hi there Thomas

Just to add - I've been very happy running Hollywood Strings because of an invaluable piece of advice Ian Livingstone, a composer friend gave me.

Some sort of assignable simple MIDI Fader Controller is a huge help for this sort of library. (eg Behringer B Control Fader BCF2000)

I compose movie scores and along with live orchestra sessions and choirs have worked with samplers and computers as an important part of my ouevre since the mid 80's. I've NEVER been a bod that needed access to "faders" for anything until now!

It really changes the way you thing about one single held string note with such poerful libraries ........ let alone the result with a complete line ...... in the past I've accessed everything with a mouse even though friends have suggested you need to be able to "RIDE" volumes in audio mixes with a fader ...... I've toyed with the notion but never really needed it until now.

In order to really get the best out of the library ....... specifically riding the Vibrato - and Expression against one another is for me a MUST ..... it really makes a HUGE difference having a couple of faders to hear one changing AGAINST the other in real time.

From a once upon a time Luddite ....... now a real time fader boy!

raywong
06-06-2010, 03:01 AM
I am in the middle of a project, just hoping for some more quick tips. If I have only 1 HS dedicated PC slave(12G ram), what are the most important patches I should fill it up with first?

Sherief83
06-06-2010, 03:14 AM
One thing I've had my biggest challenge with is actually knowing if the reset round robin button is being triggered or not from the assigned midi note.

I followed instructions and set the key 32 (A#0) and then put a note there hitting on the measures I like the strings to reset. but I have no idea if it is being triggered or not.

So any kind of sign in play that shows it being reset like a light or the reset round button it self triggers every time through the midi note?

That would be the greatest addition!

Dick the Flick
06-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Hi Ray ........ in order to get up and running quickly, take a look at Nick Phoenix's tutorials ...... towards the end of "Legato" he goes through a basic set-up there for starters.

I came to this in the middle of a heavy workload ..... already working 18 hour days ...... as suggested by many folk ..... it really pays to do a some research on this baby or you will WASTE a load of time in frustration.

It really isn't like a Degree in Astrophysics ...... honest!

Some time spent with the manual and tutorials will save you time ....... don't be tempted to "save time" by plunging in with out a little investigation about the principles and basics.

It's a great thing - just take a deep breath and do a small amount of homework.

Good luck with it all!

Denny S.
06-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Everyone, I can second to "RTFM". ;)

Although it would be more appealing if the manual was actually printed on paper. Most men love to read on the toilet for example. :D

Illuminata
06-06-2010, 05:47 AM
6) CC22 is an important controller in HS and allows you to bypass the monophonic legato behavior and actually play polyphonic legato.

Hi,

what does this mean? Does it mean that CC22 is like a on/off switch for polyphonic legato? And does polyphonic mean I have to activate it when more than one legato interval in a single patch is played at the same time? (e.g. just 1st violins patch playing melody in octaves). What's the default of this controller?

Thomas_J
06-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Correct! CC22 is a switch. Default is monophonic.

Best,
Thomas

Jose7822
06-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Control Change # 1 Modulation
Control Change # 11 Express

Hmm have you ever seen a piano with foot pedals, that can be consider a CC-1(midi world).
Control Change # 11 Express just controls the volume.
I know someone here can explain it better then I can, I’m still a rookie.
But to reset, you would have to reset on controller (keyboard or midi device), should be in manual.

I PM a Implementation Chart to help.

I know what the most used CC's are, I just don't know exactly what it means to reset them and how to go about it. You say this is done on my keyboard controller or MIDI device, and that could be true (though it sounds as if you were talking about resetting my MIDI controller to factory state, which is NOT what I want to do). What if I didn't have a keyboard controller and was inputting notes with the mouse instead? I'm sure resetting controllers is done inside the DAW as well, which is the way that makes sense to me (but I could be wrong). Can anyone please shed some light and answer my previous questions?

By the way, the foot pedals of a keyboard (assuming you're talking about the Grand Piano style MIDI pedals) are usually set to CC64 - Sustain, CC66 - Sostenuto and CC67 - Soft Pedal. But you can usually program them to whatever CCs you want. Thanks for providing that MIDI chart though.

Take care!

Thomas_J
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
By "resetting" I mean move them around a little so you're sure that your CC1 controller isn't at 0 while the CC11 is at 127 etc.

Jose7822
06-06-2010, 10:07 PM
By "resetting" I mean move them around a little so you're sure that your CC1 controller isn't at 0 while the CC11 is at 127 etc.

Ah, OK!

So I'm assuming you are talking about physically resetting them on the MIDI controller (by moving the knobs/sliders) and NOT inside the DAW, right? If that's the case, then this only applies if you're recording the CC data live. IOW, there's no need to reset the controllers if the data has already been recorded and inserted into the MIDI clip inside the project, correct?

Thanks for your time!

Thomas_J
06-06-2010, 11:08 PM
That's right! No need for resetting in that scenario.

Doug Rogers
06-07-2010, 07:29 AM
I should also add there are other sources of information related to Hollywood Strings, user video tutorials at the product page here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-strings

And for any general software questions (the HS manual is more product specific) here -

http://download.soundsonline.com/docs/PLAY-2-FAQ.pdf

Cheers,

- DR

peter5992
06-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks Doug. The FAQ are also included in the software in the documentation folder.

jphilpit
06-08-2010, 07:19 AM
You can either copy the PDF manual to your iPad or other mobile device that can display a PDF, or you can print it to paper. Either way, you can read the manual on the beach, during your trek up Mount Everest, or while finding some quiet time in any room you like.

Doug Rogers
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
You should also watch the Hollywood Strings user tutorial at the product page, there's a lot of good advice in that tutorial that will help you understand the unique features and programming quickly.

For any PLAY issues I recommend - http://download.soundsonline.com/docs/PLAY-2-FAQ.pdf

Cheers,

- DR

cnk
06-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Correct! CC22 is a switch. Default is monophonic.

Best,
Thomas

Hey Thomas, thanks for all the info!

But how do we set CC22 to on? I can only draw envelopes it doesn't work.

patrickkidd
06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
All you have to do is send a value of 64 or higher on CC22 to enable monophonic behavior, and set a value of 63 or lower to use polyphonic behavior.

An easy way to look at it is to set your toggle button to emit 127 when down and 0 when up, or your more common non-toggle button to switch between 0 and 127. This is also easy to do with a knob by setting it to a relatively low or high value depending on what you want it to do in the middle of a performance.

Good luck.

cnk
06-28-2010, 11:35 PM
All you have to do is send a value of 64 or higher on CC22 to enable monophonic behavior, and set a value of 63 or lower to use polyphonic behavior.

An easy way to look at it is to set your toggle button to emit 127 when down and 0 when up, or your more common non-toggle button to switch between 0 and 127. This is also easy to do with a knob by setting it to a relatively low or high value depending on what you want it to do in the middle of a performance.

Good luck.

Thanks! :)

interpolate
07-25-2010, 03:10 PM
My next song is called "HMFS".

boulifb
07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Would it be a good idea to use 1 multiple tracks instance for the 1st violins articulations (n articulations need, n tracks created for this instance), 1 multiple tracks instance for the 2nd violins articulations etc., then we could have 5 instances of Play just for the strings?

Fred.

aptmusic9
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Would it be a good idea to use 1 multiple tracks instance for the 1st violins articulations (n articulations need, n tracks created for this instance), 1 multiple tracks instance for the 2nd violins articulations etc., then we could have 5 instances of Play just for the strings?

Fred.

The violins are panned differently and sound different. I'm making the assumption that they probably used different players, and the recordings used to program the 2nds patches are completely unique from the 1sts.

Some notes I prefer on the 2nd violins, and others I prefer the 1sts. If you are satisfied with the panning, one could use just 1sts or just 2nds.

Doug Rogers
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
You should also know we released a library update that you can find here -

http://www.soundsonline.com/updates.php#EW-190

boulifb
08-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Any information about the fingering position knob?

Doug Rogers
08-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Any information about the fingering position knob?

This information has beed added, download the revised manual from here (pages 19-22) -

http://download.soundsonline.com/docs/Hollywood-Strings-Manual.pdf

Cheers,

- DR

Magnazeon
08-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Wich CC controls the "con sordino"-button?
Any idea?

SvK
09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi TJ congrats on a monumental achievement. The Strings sound superb. How does one set up keyswitches? You know eighth notes switching: Det, Spicc, Pizz, Stac, Det, Spicc, Pizz, Stac...that kind of thing?

best,

SvK

jphilpit
09-07-2010, 02:41 PM
There are no keyswitches in Hollywood Strings for short articulations, such as Spicc and Pizz. The keyswitch files include only sustained patches of various sorts. If you already own HS, look in the manual where it's all described. Or if you don't and want to learn about the library, it is available for download on the Updates page at www.SoundsOnline.com.

Jonathan Kranz
09-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi TJ congrats on a monumental achievement. The Strings sound superb. How does one set up keyswitches? You know eighth notes switching: Det, Spicc, Pizz, Stac, Det, Spicc, Pizz, Stac...that kind of thing?

best,

SvK

You might look at the 'MOD COMBOS' folder in the shorts articulation folders... while not user configurable, there are several combinations of short durations that the mod-wheel cycles through.

-Jonathan

SvK
09-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanx

SvK

orchetect
09-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Wich CC controls the "con sordino"-button?
Any idea?

I'd like to second this question. Seems silly to have to manually enable this by clicking the button in the user interface - or - load dupes of all patches with Con Sordino toggled on.

Gemylon
10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi

Anyone know if they've started to ship the HS Gold edition by now ?

Thanks

G

cyrod18
10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi

Anyone know if they've started to ship the HS Gold edition by now ?

Thanks

G

Yes, I received mine on Friday!

Gemylon
10-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Hmm...

I can see mine is in 'Backorder'.

Maybe they've run out of disks... :confused:

G

Bird
10-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Hey,

is there a CC for 'Con Sordino' - button?

Anders

Callemusic
11-04-2010, 08:18 AM
The patch for Stacc, 1st violins makes the samples cut off too soon. Does anyone else share this experience? I want the sounds to play all the way till silence. It sounds like there is a volume envelope on the staccato sounds. It makes sense in faster passages, but in slow passages it sounds very unrealistic.

Grateful for posts on this

admin
11-05-2010, 03:22 PM
The patch for Stacc, 1st violins makes the samples cut off too soon. Does anyone else share this experience? I want the sounds to play all the way till silence. It sounds like there is a volume envelope on the staccato sounds. It makes sense in faster passages, but in slow passages it sounds very unrealistic.

Grateful for posts on this

Do you have the latest library updates from here? -

http://www.soundsonline.com/updates.php

Jonathan120
02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Reading the manual has a lot of information as well as the videos, but a tutorial for stuff used in Allegro Agitato would be cool, being one of my favourite pieces recently ^_^

diapason
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the wonderful information!

Nanto Warrior
03-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Having problems with pops n clicks as well as polyphony but I have 12GB in my machine! Any ideas guys?

Warrior.

Yoman73
03-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Hello,
I have a question about Hollywood Strings Gold Edition. As there is just one mic position and no bow change legato , is it possible to get real runs, real legato with this gold version can you only do it with the Diamond ?
I already have the Symphonic Orchestra Gold and legato is just impossible with it, so I wouldn't like to buy HS Gold and meet the same problem.

Another questions, does the hard drive provided with the software fully work on a Mac Pro ?

Thanks !

tummo
03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I have found these patches to be a great place to start - especially if your system moderately good, not a ferarri (one of each for each section, each section in its own instance):

keyswitch sustain
short MOD speed (short tight/mod combos/...)
Legato Bow Change/Marc Leg BC + Slur + Port (RR) LT 6 Ni (violas doesn't have an RR version)

works fine on with even a SATA II 7200 rpm drive on an 8 core system (mac and pc - 2.8-3.2 gHz)

michaelshumway
04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Having problems with pops n clicks as well as polyphony but I have 12GB in my machine! Any ideas guys?

Warrior.

you should split HS on multiple hard drives. playing it off a single drive, unless ssd, is going to produce pops and clicks because the disk can't keep up

aptmusic9
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Hmm Drives cause dropouts, not clicks generally. Sounds like an asio overload possible caused by.wrong driver settings or a bad driver/card. What card do u have?

johng
04-24-2011, 09:15 AM
I've found that some drives can also cause clicking sounds, but I agree that often CPU limitations or something else generates clicking / popping.

joojoo1234
05-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Remember everyone that you can download a midi toolbox with a large box and track with your mouse on the box... works anyway if you don't want more hardware.... love HS... that and Spaces are two best things ever. Going to add the full piano package... and that will... get er done.

studioseyur
05-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry if this has been discussed on the forum, but I could not find information about this in the manual.. How to cancel the selected string (four blue keys-switch) return the instrument to automatically select the position of fingers? I am a pianist and do not know much finger position of violin.. :( I played the note "mi" (E4), but it did not want to vibrate :) (of course because it is open). Then I chose the second string ("do"# 0) and the note mi vibrate! Beautiful vibrato! :) But now I need to return to automatic selection of strings, otherwise all the other notes of my violins in my project will play on string "A" ...:) (I fear this) How I can back in the automatic mode of selecting string? Please help me..

jphilpit
05-28-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry if this has been discussed on the forum, but I could not find information about this in the manual.. How to cancel the selected string (four blue keys-switch) return the instrument to automatically select the position of fingers? I am a pianist and do not know much finger position of violin.. :( I played the note "mi" (E4), but it did not want to vibrate :) (of course because it is open). Then I chose the second string ("do"# 0) and the note mi vibrate! Beautiful vibrato! :) But now I need to return to automatic selection of strings, otherwise all the other notes of my violins in my project will play on string "A" ...:) (I fear this) How I can back in the automatic mode of selecting string? Please help me..

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatic mode of selecting strings." There are 3 ways to specify which string you want played: keyswitches, the knob in the UI, and MIDI CC 70. Once you use any one of these, it's always the last change by any of them that is in effect. But even before you use any of them, one of them is selected by default (I assume it's Finger Position 1 using C0 as the KS, but I don't have the software open at the moment to confirm that).

It's Finger Position 1 that includes all the open strings (with, of course, no vibrato). So to get FP 1, you can use the KS of C0), or turn the knob all the way to the left, or set a MIDI message with CC 70 within the range 0 to 38.

studioseyur
05-29-2011, 05:43 AM
jphilpit, thank you very much! I also think - the Finger Position 1 (C0) is default position and default status HS Play. Will to switch on C0 after use other strings.. :)

ddas
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for all the info in this thread. One thing I was hoping for in a HS "quickstart" manual: is there a list of all the abbreviations used in the patch names, complete with their meaning?

I really want to be able to read all the patches and understand instantly what they mean, without having to thumb through multiple pages (and paragraphs of explanation) in the manual.

Does this exist anywhere yet?

likecmposr
06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Those NIente sound names confuse me silly!

jphilpit
06-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the info in this thread. One thing I was hoping for in a HS "quickstart" manual: is there a list of all the abbreviations used in the patch names, complete with their meaning?

I really want to be able to read all the patches and understand instantly what they mean, without having to thumb through multiple pages (and paragraphs of explanation) in the manual.

Does this exist anywhere yet?

I put together the attached list of abbreviations used in Hollywood Strings. This is a 1-page PDF that spells out the full forms of all the abbreviations I could find in the instrument names.

Note that this table does not include definitions of the terms; that approach would have made the document about 3 pages long, making it harder to find the item you're looking for. The manual includes the definitions of all these terms.

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/docs/HS-Abbrev.jpg

- John

Timmortegaa
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Pretty nice post. Iíve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case Iíll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon! Thank you, Iíll try to come back more frequently.

ddas
06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
John, thanks a TON for providing that. That's exactly what I needed -- not the definitions, just the legend/key.

When I started working with HS, as many users, I began by loading patches, not by reading manuals. But all those abbreviations can be daunting, and the load time significant, so it's not easy to get up and running with the library quickly. I did eventually go to the manual -- but then found myself reading pages and pages of detailed text which included definitions (which I didn't need) when all I really wanted to know was what each abbreviation stood for.

Thanks again for providing it. May I suggest it would be worthwhile addition to the manual, tucked away as an appendix.

mbocchino
06-24-2011, 03:34 PM
I just want to post some issues I'm having with my newly purchased Hollywood Strings (Diamond Mac) with the hope that someone else has had similar issues and can point me in the right direction. The problem is twofold:

1) A very high noise floor in many of the patches. By high, I mean overwhelming the signal. I've attenuated it a bit by decreasing the decay, but many samples are still buried in noise, esp sus Basses.
2) Almost every patch has out of tune notes. I don't mean naturally pitchy, but a 1/4 step flat on attack rising to tune. This typically happens every other repetition, so it feels like a round robin issue? I've also experienced bizarre, I mean BIZARRE, tuning problems along with extreme noise with a sus Bass patch. It sounds like someone is turning the tuning pegs and using an air hose!

Problems occur in stand alone and VST.

It sounds like a wonderful product and I am excited to have it. I know from reviews that others have had much better experiences. Help.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro 8-Core 32 gb RAM
Mid-2010 Mac Pro 4-core 32 gb RAM
Cubase 6
Vienna Ensemble Pro
7200 rpm sata

Best,

Mike

aptmusic9
06-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Odd, r u sure its not something wrong with your set up? I was testing out a bass patch today and notoced some of the "noise floor" but not to the degree you describe. Different mic positions have different amounts of noise.

mbocchino
06-25-2011, 06:01 AM
Honestly, I don't know. I'm suspecting that something is going on with my system. I know HS has some kinks to work out, as do al libraries, but these problems are so abnormal that they would have surely been noted. However, I've done every test I can think of, including swapping computers, interfaces, reformatting system drive and reinstalling everything from scratch, but it's still happening. I was hoping that somebody would be able to recognize it. I have close to the optimal system, short of an SSD drive, and all of my gear is new. Very confused.

I did try just the close mics,but with some of the patches I am hearing clicking, but again I have good system specs and these were lite patches. Other mics didn't click, so I don't know. I'm going to go through all of the patches today and note any abnormalities.

Mike

mbocchino
06-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Is it possible that the drive or the files on the drive are corrupted? It has never worked out of the box.

Here are some specific examples with patches:

Most bass patches in the long (not powerful system) folder are grossly out of tune in their highest octave The patch, "Basses Sus DB NI" (4th from top) is incredibly out of tune here and is also saturated in noise. In fact, the signal level is considerably lower than all other patches and any velocity induces noise (hiss, like opening an air valve) above the signal level. "Basses Marc Sus 8 RR NI" is only out of tune from its upper F to B. The only patch that is decent is "Basses NV VB RR NI," but "decent" is a relative term here.

The "Quick Start HS SUS Basses" sound fine, though a bit noisy. I use close mics and roll back the decay a bit to attenuate the noise on the tail. But tuning and volume seem fine. However, the "Basses Pizz RR4" suffer from the same problem as "Basses Sus DB NI": out of tune and remarkably high noise and a very low signal. (I think the noise is probably the same as with other patches and that the signal is just considerably lower, but I don't know).

In short: other than the "SUS" Basses in the Quick Start folder, all basses in the Long and Quick Start folders are unusable due to severe tuning issues and/or severe noise issues. I've yet to go through other basses in other folders, and haven't scratched the surface of other instruments yet, though I did briefly encounter a very problematic cello. Suffice it to say though that the problems I've encountered thus far should indicate widespread problems. As it is, I cannot use HS basses. A pity bc they sound like they want to sound beautiful.

I've tried this on two Macs, in stand alone and plug in mode. I've also used three audio cards/interfaces, adjust latency, sample rate, and any other setting I can think of.

It seems like samples are out of sync, not streaming correctly, I don't know. Very strange, but also very unusable :(

aptmusic9
06-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Hmm. I tested the patch you describe and I immediately heard the noise floor you describe. On the highest E and B natural are pretty bad and even during the looping the players are still trying to agree on the pitch.

Some noise is good though and I wouldn't describe it as "burying the samples". Even great classical recordings have noise in them. Many people like to add noise on purpose sometimes.

I tested the close mics and heard no clicking. Clicking is usually the result of an audio interface problem. Dropouts and silence is usually the result of a disk problem.

Which interfaces did you use?

mbocchino
06-26-2011, 05:21 AM
I agree that noise is usually fine. There is one particular bass patch though that is extreme. We may not be hearing the same thing (perhaps there's something going on on my end) bc the patch is unplayable. The signal drops dramatically as compared with the other patches. It's like playing noise not a double bass! I did a pretty extensive test of patches and what I've found so far is that basses, due to some pretty severe tuning issues are hard to use, the upper range of many cellos, though less problematic, are a little rough, and violins are for the most part good. However, VN pizz patches are excessively noisy (like the particular sus bass). Haven't gone through violas much but so far so good (ironically). It's really an issue of using basses. For whatever reason I can't seem to find stable patches. and again, the patch with the excessively high noise floor is cartoonishly out of tune. It really does sound like someone is turning the tuning pegs. Clearly there is something wrong with the particular patch, at least on my end. I wish there was a way I could post an mp3.

Steinberg MR 816x (underrated interface). Increased the latency to get rid of clicks. With 512 samples I've been able to load 7 powerful system patches without issues. Could prob do more but haven't tried yet. No SSD, so I've been pleasantly surprised on that end. Really does sound great. Just want to be able to use basses and pizzs, and even then I'll gladly wait until an update if it's a problem the HS as such. But it would be good to know whether or not some of these issues are specific to my copy.

aptmusic9
06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
512 samples is a nice stable number no matter what the interface. If you find yourself at 2048 or 32 samples you're asking for trouble =)

I wonder if there is any possibility the Mac version is different from the PC version, and/or the "instrument update" for mac screwed up your install and the PC update doesn't. That would be a worthwhile experiment. Uninstall the 1.0.7 update and go back to an earlier version.

Noise floor is hard to explain though, because we would have to have physically different samples to account for more noise. I don't think the updates affect the samples, only the "instrument" files right?

mbocchino
06-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Hmm, I will try that. As far as the noise floor is concerned, this is my theory (though prob way off):

A) When the mod wheel is down, the noise floor is higher due to the lower velocity.
B) there is something wrong with the script such that velo x-fades are not activated.
C) noise floor is high?

Just a theory based on pure speculation.

That this patch is also wildly out of tune also suggests a problem with the scripting? (obviously wasn't recorded that way.) So perhaps your suggestion will resolve the issue on my end, if there is in fact a bug with my version. I'll post results. Thanks for the assist.

Mike

mbocchino
06-27-2011, 08:22 AM
I've found fixes for most issues and will post detailed info elsewhere. In short, the one bass patch is still problematic (I still suspect a velocity issue) but most other patches (bass and other) just need some tweaking.

I've found that with some patches the release samples are out of balance, causing a crescendo of hiss on the tail. Attenuating the release sample resolves the problem. Also, some patches, such as a VLN legato have out of balance sus samples, causing a very bizarre effect. By bringing down the sus it plays and sounds beautifully.

On my end, I discovered my mod wheel is slipping, causing cc1 to randomly change values.

Once it's compiled, I'll post a detailed list with my fixes on the appropriate thread.

Mike

andrewbrick
06-28-2011, 02:28 PM
On my end, I discovered my mod wheel is slipping, causing cc1 to randomly change values.

Mike

It seems to be especially important when playing live (or auditioning) that you give a CC1 and CC11 signal before you start. With the more complex patches with many articulations loaded, I've discovered that if I don't, the different articulations triggered can be grossly out of balance (at least with my setup/hardware). A quick nudge of those sliders fixes the problem.

I've also noted some tuning issues across the patches. Most I've encountered involve the bow change legato instruments; even in my short use of HS, I've been forced to break a legato line (putting a small space between notes and triggering CC64) to NOT cue some overly pitchy slur or bow change samples. In faster lines, it's less of an issue, but in a slow line, wow, it can really make my ears hurt sometimes. Overall, though, it seems to be a small price to pay for otherwise amazing samples. my two cents...

mbocchino
06-28-2011, 02:33 PM
No doubt. I've learned the hard way that controllers need to be reset (see jittery mod wheel), but there are some out of balance samples that have nothing to do with controllers. Take a look at Cello Legato Slur + port RR LT 12 NI. The sus sample has to come way down (unless I have a specific bug). Nevertheless, I know how to fix it, so whenever I come across I can just tweak and save. The sound is worth a little effort. Sure it will all get corrected in time.

M

admin
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
These comments should be put in SUPPORT, however, we just released an update that fixes or improves reported issues. Let us know if this resolved your issues.

Please go here for the update -

http://www.soundsonline.com/Downloads

Changes in EWQL Hollywood Strings Instrument Update 2.0:

• Improved violas tuning
• Improved legato scripting
• Improved basses slur legato playability
• Improved celli slur legato playability
• Improved violas slur legato playability
• Improved 2nd violins slur legato playability
• Improved 1st violins slur legato playability
• Improved all legato slur + marc or slur + stac programs
• various reported errors fixed

• Added 'Pro Template' folder (a quick start for semi powerful system template building)

aptmusic9
06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks admin! DLing now!

mbocchino
06-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I posted specific issues elsewhere upon realizing that this wasn't the right place. Sorry :(

thanks for the update. Greatly appreciated!

Best,

Mike

NicolasRoy
07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Question: what is the difference between using CC5 to control Portamento and legato duration, versus using the MIDI velocity to control speed of the interval of Legato + portamento patch?
Anybody could clarify that?
Thanks

Syncopator
08-27-2011, 09:13 AM
I suggest having a separate instance for all your legato patches.

thanks for this information. for clarity, i take it you meant you suggest having a separate instance for each legato patch (as opposed to one, separate instance for all legato patches, which is how the statement seems to read). :)

johng
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Possibly.

Personally I bought a PCIe-based SSD RAID. However, if you are buying several SSDs (or two, or whatever) the goal is to split patches so that you get maximum throughput.

1. Two drives -- maybe Vln 1, Vla, CB on drive 1; vln 2 and VCL on drive 2.

2. Three drives -- Vln 1 on drive 1; Vla and VCL drive 2; Vln 2 and CB drive 3.

I separate violin 1 and 2 onto different drives, because they often are playing at the same time. VCL has many very complex patches that I use a lot, so that's put on a drive that has as little else going on simultaneously as possible, which for me means viola or CB, as they play fewer fast notes in my music than either the violins or VCL. I generally avoid CB and VCL together as they often are playing in octaves. That's the thinking anyway.

That's my philosophy anyway. I do the same for brass.

Jan Bruijn
11-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Thomas,

I am not familiar with all expression in English, but do you mean with extra "instances" opening an extra PLAY64 VST Instrument in Cubase?

Jan

JaapVisser
11-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Yes that is exactly what he means Jan :) Those terms can be quite confusing if you are not familiar with them.

Completely off topic, but after a long period of absence I am back to work and received yesterday my copies of HS and HB diamond and jeez I love them so much already :D

Jan Bruijn
11-06-2011, 03:17 AM
Jaap,

Thanks for the confirmation. Bedankt.

Jan

oxo
12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
wich cc switch the "con sordino"-button on/off?

wich cc switch the "other"-button on/off?

Jose7822
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Con Sordino is CC15. Not sure about the other button.

HH

oxo
12-23-2011, 08:25 AM
thanks! cc15 con sordino works :-)