PDA

View Full Version : Prelude - Gold

drew
05-05-2005, 03:14 PM
This is first part of a larger piece I'm working on. Sort of minimal-impressionist. Would especially like to hear comments about the production; mix,balance,EQ etc. Thanks for listening.

Prelude (http://www.awall.com/chelseystheme.mp3)

metrobot
05-05-2005, 09:15 PM
nitpicking: some of the english horn notes in the beginning overlap. Really like the horn part. The violins, when played most stridently, sound a bit unnatural. Otherwise, very nice realism and with the strings in general. I would suggest using more mod-wheel programs on the violins so they swell and recede more. To my ears, the production is fine. EQ & mix are good, but as you'll see in another thread of mine, that is always problematic to me too. Your violins are probably too loud come to think of it.

The music: somewhat meandoring but very evocative. Creates a nice specific mood. I would opt for more structure myself, but that is just me. With a bit of tweaking, I bet you could get this placed.

If you want to knock something of mine, here's your chance. (http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=277)

drew
05-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the constructive and detailed comments.

Actually, it's a bassoon at the beginning and I'll check the overlaps - E horn is at end.

The violins are always an issue - every patch seems a bit 'strident' to me. Perhaps it's the nature of the library or how I use them. I set the velocities fairly low to try to get rid of that, but maybe there is another way; EQ perhaps.

I like your term 'meandering' - pretty much what I was going for. I've got mod-wheel/expression on every note, but I'll exaggerate a bit more.

I'll give yours a listen, but I'm not here to 'knock' anything, but will be honest about what my ears tell me. Thanks again.

barouh
11-04-2005, 02:01 PM
This is first part of a larger piece I'm working on. Sort of minimal-impressionist. Would especially like to hear comments about the production; mix,balance,EQ etc. Thanks for listening.

Prelude (http://www.awall.com/chelseystheme.mp3)

Splendid, drew,
It was a very nice opportunity to listen at some beautiful music work.
Debussy is not dead for nothing! that's what I think when I hear some sounds like that.

I am not worth a thing to put technical comments, because this is not my strong point, my fit.
And because I did not find any mistake, while listening three times.
Very evocative impressions.
Please continue, go to the end of your musical project. It will be fine indead.

I feel a little bit ridiculous on this site with my Silver version, you know? But it is very expensive to me...

luima
11-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Drew,
I liked the piece, I cannot tell you in what style, but of course some of the impresionists, but is very emotive. I heard several times, because I kiked it, while writing this.

In respect to the production aspects, I also find some sounds "stridents" specially the violins it the mf volume. I also work with Gold and I try allways to avoid higher velocities with non DXF patches. Just for a quick solution try to use lower velocities and increase the volume.

drew
11-05-2005, 08:09 AM
barouh and luima, thanks for listening and your comments.

I was very surprised as I had posted this 6 months ago and it was my first effort with gold. I'm still not that happy with the violins in gold - hope Pro version has improvements.

The lower velociities do help some, but then a slight tremolo effect is heard but at least they are not so harsh.