PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes & Wurly

ddot_sfv
05-08-2005, 02:03 AM
What's the best sounding cd-rom for rhodes and wurlitzer?
Thanks

spacetone
05-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Scarbee Rhodes and Wurly -- hands down, doesn't get any better.

Nick Phoenix
05-08-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm sorry to disagree, but the Rhodes in Colossus is the best sounding, most realistic sampled Rhodes out there. Scarbee's Wurlitzer is great.

spacetone
05-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry to disagree, but the Rhodes in Colossus is the best sounding, most realistic sampled Rhodes out there. Scarbee's Wurlitzer is great.

In your opinion it may be. For me, the Scarbee Rhodes has an amazing in-your-face presence that I prefer.

ToddK
05-08-2005, 02:20 PM
I dont get the fascination with the Scarbee keyboards.
I think they're awful.

I havent really heard a Stupendous Rhodes sample
yet, but i'll take Nick's word, as i havent heard anything from QL that i havent
loved.;)

I would say some of this issue is simply personal taste.

TK

spacetone
05-08-2005, 02:35 PM
It sure is a personal thing, but let me say that we recently had a real Rhodes and Wurly at the studio, recorded into fabulous preamps, playback thru an SSL. Sounded fantastic. We later replaced most of those tracks with the Scarbee Rhodes and Wurly, and in the end, they sounded equal if not sounded better. That's the thing, the Scarbee stuff sounds like the real thing, not some souped and slicked up Rhodes. I appreciate the raw full sound of a real Rhodes direct into an amp and miked (along with direct to console), and that's why I love the Scarbee stuff.

Nick Phoenix
05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
It sure is a personal thing, but let me say that we recently had a real Rhodes and Wurly at the studio, recorded into fabulous preamps, playback thru an SSL. Sounded fantastic. We later replaced most of those tracks with the Scarbee Rhodes and Wurly, and in the end, they sounded equal if not sounded better. That's the thing, the Scarbee stuff sounds like the real thing, not some souped and slicked up Rhodes. I appreciate the raw full sound of a real Rhodes direct into an amp and miked (along with direct to console), and that's why I love the Scarbee stuff.

You're right. The Scarbee Rhodes is the sound of a pristine Rhodes captured before all the circuitry than really can change the sound. The Colossus Rhodes is the sound that comes out of the built in suitcase cabinet of a hot rodded Rhodes. The vast majority of composers I asked, preferred this sound. But, it is more of a dirty, funky sound. So you are right, it is personal preference.

ntm
05-08-2005, 09:36 PM
I have not tried the Scarbee one, but the Colossus Rhodes is indeed lovely. It's a stellar product all in all!

PS. Nick, what kind of Effects processing do you like to use on the Colossus Rhodes? One disadvantage NI Sample players have to hardware workstations like motif or triton is the lack of well programed/high quality fx presets along with the samples.

shadowbox
05-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I agree with Nick. The Colossus Rhodes is my favorite sampled rhodes ever. Only thing was there was no tremelo, but that was easy to program.