PDA

View Full Version : Hello Soundsonline. A few questions

Rodney Stark
05-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Hey. I'm a composer of sorts, I do it completely as a hobby. It's something fun to do on the weekends that feels rewarding in the end. I've got a few questions though for all of you.

1. I'm currently using EWQL Gold. I could use a piano though since most of what I do is piano centric and free soundfonts aren't cutting it. The problem is, I don't want to buy a sampler like Kontakt considering the only other things I want are QL RA, EWQLSC, and possibly at a much later date, Gold Pro. Is there any Virtual Instrument for a piano that blends well with gold? Also, I really would like it to be 100$ or less. Suggestions?

2. How would Symphonic Choirs and RA run on my computer? I have a 3.0ghz processor and 1.5 gigs of RAM. The computer can only hold 20 more gigs, so I really can't get much more (though to fit a sample library on my computer I would willingly delete a lot of my other stuff.) Also, which of the two is less CPU intensive? I'm guessing RA but you can never be too sure.

3. In the future, is there any idea which of them might be sold at a discount? I know it probably won't be answered, but it's worth a shot.

4. Will there still be a Colossus: Live? How much more can I expect it to be, and will you be able to use it to record as if it were a Korg Triton workstation? I ask this mainly for a friend, he's an incredible musician and I'd like to recommend Colossus to him to use on his albums, but he doesn't know how to work computers and it would be too expensive for him to buy one and a pain in the ass for me to teach him to work one.

5. Will Candy feature saxaphone sections as well as solo instruments so that I could make big band music with it?

6. Although this should probably go in the thread started for it, I figure I'll post it here. For the monthly demo contest, would a rearrangement of a theme from something like a video game be eligible?

Thanks.

black neon bob
05-08-2005, 11:17 AM
no answers for you.. sorry.. ;)

But you can only hold 20 more gig?

ToddK
05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Yeah, you're gonna run out of space.

Time for an external Firewire 800 hard drive. 100 gig would be good.:)

TK

synergy543
05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
1. I'm currently using EWQL Gold. I could use a piano though since most of what I do is piano centric and free soundfonts aren't cutting it. The problem is, I don't want to buy a sampler like Kontakt considering the only other things I want are QL RA, EWQLSC, and possibly at a much later date, Gold Pro. Is there any Virtual Instrument for a piano that blends well with gold? Also, I really would like it to be 100$ or less. Suggestions?There used to be a cross-grade for Gold owners to buy Silver for something like $50 which has a piano. Unfortunatley I think this is no longer available. I hope Doug will consider re-instating these cross-grades which are very helpful to EWQLSO users.

There is a group buy on GPO over on NS where you could get a piano (and a "few" other instruments) for $139 possibly.

Also the PMI Bosendorfer 290 blends very nicely with EWQLSO which you might be able to get at a good price during the next sale (can't be too far off).

AndyFinkenstadt
05-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Also, if you order the GoldPro upgrade, it comes with the "missing" instruments. Or you can get Just The Extra Silver Instruments (and no player, so you'll need fullboat Kontakt or Kompakt) for the price of shipping.

loogoo
05-08-2005, 04:19 PM
If you get the Gold upgrade, it will have piano, organ and choir included in it - so no need to get Silver at all.

P.S. you really need more than 20 gigs if you want any of this stuff!