PDA

View Full Version : Learning about KeySwitches

jeffhefty
05-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Greetings to all Musicmakers:

I recently bought the EW Platinum Orch. I am so far loving how it improves the sound of my music. I am trying to find out more about how to actually use the Key Switches. I downloaded the PDF manual( the complete guide ) but I don't quite get it . Are there any tutorials available on line or on this forum that could guide me?
Many thanks to all!

Sincerely , Jeff ;)

jphilpit
05-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Try the following:

Open one of the standalone Kompakt instruments you got with Platinum: Strings, Woodwinds, or Brass (not Percussion). (That is, do not load it in your sequencer.) And load any keyswitch program into an Instrument Slot in Kompakt. (But for this example, don't choose a low instrument like the Tuba or Double Bass.)

The keyswitch files all contain the word "Keyswitch" in the file name.

You should now see lots of keys on the onscreen piano keyboard turn blue, indicating those notes are available to be played. Then click on the left arrow in the lower left corner of the window, and the "+3 OCT." right next to it should turn to "+2 OCT."

A bunch of yellow keys should now appear. Those are the keyswitches.

Using the mouse click on any of the yellow keys and then on a blue key, holding it down to hear the note.

Then click on a DIFFERENT yellow key but the SAME blue key as last time. You should hear the instrument played with a different articulation. Go though all the yellow keys and you'll switch to all the different articulations in that file you loaded.

Some of the differences may be subtle, or may only be apparent when you move the Mod Wheel, so try all the keyswitch (the yellow) notes to make sure you understand. Once you understand how this works, you can try using a MIDI keyboard and/or a sequencer. Just make sure you're playing the keyswitch notes in the correct octave.

When you're ready to use this feature from the sequencer, just add the keyswitch note a little before any note that starts a new articulation. For example, if you want one staccato note in the middle of a line that is otherwise legato, add the staccato keyswitch just before the staccato note and the legato keyswitch just before the next note to make the notes return to legato until told otherwise.

HTH,
John