PDA

View Full Version : Gold Pro: ...demos soon ?

DPK
05-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Iím seriously considering getting the Gold Pro upgrade, maybe even with one of the pre-release bundles (if Iím happy with the QLegato patches). Thatís the catch for me. Will there be any demos released before the May 31rst pre-order time frame? I mean, itís only a little over three weeks away...

Iím currently researching other libraries. More specifically - stand-alone string & brass libraries. I need to be able to compare Gold Pro articulations (the mysterious QLegato) to something like VSLís performance set and/or Project Sam brass.

In any case, Iím sure I will not be disappointed with the purchase of Gold Pro since it is practically an entire orchestral lib all by itself. Maybe Iím just impatient, but Iíd really like to hear some examples of Gold Pro soon. :)

Hearing some demos or examples will be the deciding factor in the end.

By the way, if I end up getting one of those pre-release bundles, and youíre looking for a composer in my area. Iíll be easy to find. Just look for a guy on the side of the road pushing a shopping cart full of empty soda cans and East West product boxes... :eek:

dk

Scott Rogers
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
And at this point I don't think most people even care about hearing the big, official, "production piece" types of demos. If only just a single instrument and/or violin section would play a line at a moderate tempo with small and larger intervals to demonstrate the QLegato feature, that would be nice.

Or at the very least, it would be helpful if we could have some insight into what QLegato actually is. Is it a connecting mechanism that will enable a legato like joining of the various sustains already in existence, or is it an entire intrument in and of itself which has no bearing on the various other sustains. If you can, please tell us how applicable the QLegato is going to be across the range of samples, and in what ways.

And I'm also wondering about the staccatos. The library needs some very short, secco staccatos for double and triple-tonguing and fast tonguing in tempos where you have 16ths where a quarter is equal to, say, 172 bpm. The present big fat staccatos are fine for times when they are needed, but they're all at least two times as long and large as what some of the faster tempos require.

So even if a few simple examples can't be posted yet, a few details would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

bloombaber
05-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I'd like to add my little voice to the chorus:

WHAT IS QLEGATO?

Various posts refer to it with hungry and hushed tones, as if some people have secret knowledge of Qlegato and all its wonders. Like

"I'm considering splurging on Gold Pro so I can get my hands on those fantastic new Qlegato articulations..."

But has anyone heard/read anywhere, anything about exactly what it is? The NAMM movie on the Choirs was incredibly descriptive about what that instrument can do, but Qlegato remains a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, surrounded by a riddle.

For only $995. :confused:

ToddK
05-09-2005, 01:13 PM
Hey, i have RA wich is said to have Qlegato, and i dont see it anywhere.

Its not mentioned ONCE in the manual. Theres nothing that says Qlegato or
even Legato on the interface.

Though i didnt buy it hoping to test this feature, i sure am wondering why
if its supposed to be such a big improvement, why am i not able to even
find it, much less use it in RA?

TK

lukpcn
05-09-2005, 01:30 PM

TK

And You're not alone.... same here :rolleyes:

esteso
05-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Nick has said that he didn't want to make a big deal of qlegato in RA because it was a first attempt and not as evolved as in gold Pro.

synergy543
05-09-2005, 05:58 PM
TKHi Todd,

Try the Erhu keyswitching C#0 compared to C0. I think this might be what Nick was referring to.

You get a distinct down bow on C0 and a smooth legato with C#0.
Switching between the two works quite well I think.

Gregory D. Moore

rJames
05-09-2005, 08:14 PM

TK

At NAMM Nick told me (I hope I have this right) that Qlegato was used in the (Indian??) violins.

Sorry, Don't have RA so I don't remember the actual instrument.

synergy543
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
At NAMM Nick told me (I hope I have this right) that Qlegato was used in the (Indian??) violins.

Sorry, Don't have RA so I don't remember the actual instrument.Yeah the Baritone Violin is a similar and probably better example although the tonal difference is quite strong between the C0 bow and the C#0 legato. The C0 down bow is very bright but the C#0 legato is almost filtered making it hard to switch between them. Why is that? (Naw its not the Martini, that wore off...;-)

Actually there IS a filter on the patch but its not what is making it sound "filtered". The Qlegato is nice but I hope filtering the sound is not a part of the Qlegato process.