PDA

View Full Version : I might want to create the requested PDF

AndyFinkenstadt
04-05-2005, 03:01 PM
In honor of one of the most long-running threads from NSS, :)

Last night I got a reply back from Technical Support about a sound issue and I got this awesomely beautiful PDF document that looked like a really cool manual for Gold ...

I should ebay my copy, after getting John Philpit to sign it or something.

Private message DougRogers with your serial number to obtain a copy, or write to technical support with the same information.

Journeyman
04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Two questions:

1) Do we know if John knows about this forum, and
2) When do we get our own copy of this pdf file? It's been quite some time...

neoTypic
04-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Doug just posted this in the Group Buy thread. Looks like it might be it! :D

Download the EWQLSO Guide pdf from the following link. The guide will answer most of your questions.

http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSOGuide.pdf

- Doug

Stefan Podell
04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Indeed.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

jphilpit
04-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Two questions:

1) Do we know if John knows about this forum, and
2) When do we get our own copy of this pdf file? It's been quite some time...

1. I just returned from a business trip and saw that this forum has been created.

2. As has been pointed out, the Guide is official as of this week and posted on the SoundsOnline website.

And thanks, Andy, for being a long-time supporter of my efforts.

RokGeetar
06-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Can someone tell me where John's excellent guide now resides? I can't seem to find it anywhere! :(

AndyFinkenstadt
06-09-2005, 08:38 AM
You can find it at: http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSOGuide.pdf

drew
06-09-2005, 08:58 AM
You can find it at: http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSOGuide.pdf

I get a 'Not Found' error with this link.

AndyFinkenstadt
06-09-2005, 09:57 AM
I just dropped a note off to the webmaster ... cuz the file definitely used to be there. :confused:

Doug Rogers
06-09-2005, 10:24 AM
It's been removed because it was being linked to by a pirate site. If you need it and you are a registered user, send me your serial number and I'll send it to you.

- Doug

RokGeetar
06-09-2005, 11:25 AM
It's been removed because it was being linked to by a pirate site. If you need it and you are a registered user, send me your serial number and I'll send it to you.

- Doug
Sorry - I forgot to mention I had already tried that link.

Doug, that's a fair enough reason for removal! It's not for me personally (I downloaded it a while ago), but for a Gold owner on another forum who didn't hear about it. I will send the guy a copy, unless that would be frowned upon?

Neil

Jan Morgenstern
06-09-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi Doug,

It's been removed because it was being linked to by a pirate site.

you can prevent this type of crosslinking from other sites by adding a referrer whitelist for this file (or file type) to your webserver configuration. This way, only requests originating from links on your own site will actually get the PDF. It's pretty straightforward with apache (and should be possible with just about every other HTTP server).

HTH,
jan

jphilpit
06-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry - I forgot to mention I had already tried that link.

Doug, that's a fair enough reason for removal! It's not for me personally (I downloaded it a while ago), but for a Gold owner on another forum who didn't hear about it. I will send the guy a copy, unless that would be frowned upon?

Neil

In the spirit of Doug's comment about sending a serial number to him in order to get the PDF e-mailed, it would be better to explain the rules to your friend so that he/she can send in the serial number and get the Guide that way. Just mailing the Guide to anyone--no matter how honest--circumvents the policy.

As the author, I'd love to have my Guide in the widest release possible. But I also make money from royalties on my creative talents (my playwriting), so I have to agree with Doug's stance that piracy prevention tactics are a necessary strategy in the real world of 2005.

RokGeetar
06-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi John

I thought about it and did exactly as you said - before I saw your post! So hopefully we will have a new member here, and another happy camper using your great guide!

Cheers
Neil

bloombaber
06-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Is this guide somehow better than the booklet that came in the box?

AndyFinkenstadt
06-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes... (assuming what came in the box is 99% a kompakt instrument usage manual).

Dave Bourke
06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks for this truly excellent manual, John and Doug.

Makes great bedtime reading. I actually have six printed manuals right now on my bedside locker. And another shelf-and-a-half-ful in my studio. And a folder full of .pdf files on my iBook. Can't remember when I last picked up a novel...

Kind regards.

KevinKauai
06-12-2005, 04:56 AM
So Doug really wants to be inundated with emails of serial #s to get access to the excellent Philpot PDF? Okay ... but ... perhaps it's time to take the Steinberg approach and have a "Registered/Certified" part of this Forum. (In their case, it was a general PAIN to have to get on the floor and dig out the serial numbers from the dongles ... but.) This manual (at least the early draft, which I printed out many months ago) is an excellent EWQLSO resource and I hope the authot extracted significant $$ from EW/SoundsOnline for providing a truly valuable addition to their product documentation.

:) KevinKauai :D